Game Thread: Barn vs. Kansas State (was, CFN article)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And Bama has seen them (and this type offense) enough, it's not about "experience", at this point - it's about execution.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Tony brown has a ways to go before I would want that match up. I would rather have Jackson on him as of right now or even change things up an put a physical Collins on him. You take away 1 them you take away 75% of auburns passing game.
Yea I wouldn't right now either. But by the end of the year when we play them I would take that matchup all day..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Can't believe more people don't realize that what happens in one game doesn't carry over to the next or rest of the season. There are hundreds of examples. We barely beat an average UT team at home in 2009 yet still went undefeated and won the NC. USCe was left for dead after week 1 this year and then turned around and beat everybody's new favorite team UGA. AU will only have one or at most two losses by the time the iron bowl comes around. They aren't losing 4-5 games..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Can't believe more people don't realize that what happens in one game doesn't carry over to the next or rest of the season. There are hundreds of examples. We barely beat an average UT team at home in 2009 yet still went undefeated and won the NC. USCe was left for dead after week 1 this year and then turned around and beat everybody's new favorite team UGA. AU will only have one or at most two losses by the time the iron bowl comes around. They aren't losing 4-5 games..
I doubt they'll have four or five losses but it was quite obvious Kstate's defense is used to facing offenses like Auburn's. They knew exactly what to do and wasn't around looking confused. They also didn't have to load the box with 8 and 9 men either. Our defense could learn a lot from watching that tape.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I doubt they'll have four or five losses but it was quite obvious Kstate's defense is used to facing offenses like Auburn's. They knew exactly what to do and wasn't around looking confused. They also didn't have to load the box with 8 and 9 men either. Our defense could learn a lot from watching that tape.
I agree. I also think KSU didn't have to load the box because AU doesn't have Tre Mason. Both of their running backs and QB can be brought down with arm tackles. It's all about contain because if you can get a defender in position their RBs this year are easily brought down..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree. I also think KSU didn't have to load the box because AU doesn't have Tre Mason. Both of their running backs and QB can be brought down with arm tackles. It's all about contain because if you can get a defender in position their RBs this year are easily brought down..
I think it has just as much to do with not having Greg Robinson (OL) as well. The 1st round NFL pick by the St. Louis Rams.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think the weak link is at left guard. Shon seems to be doing fine at left tackle.
I'm guessing it is probably overall chemistry. One thing I have noticed is that y'all's offensive line isn't getting the push (as a whole unit) as y'all did last season. But to be honest, it would be unrealistic to expect that again. Y'all's offensive line had a special year last season and to routinely expect that type performance is unrealistic. We fell into the same trap after our 2012 season. We arguably had one of the best offensive lines in the history of college football.

Chemistry is a tricky thing. It's hard to tell what creates it and what causes it to leave.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Though I don't necessarily like Jesse Palmer he hit the nail right on the head last night when he said the reason KState was giving the war chickens fits was due to their DL'men winning their matchups. They were only playing 6 and 7 people in the box all night. But the difference was they were winning matchups and playing disciplined football.

I think that's basically why we have so much trouble with these type offenses. We are not fundamentally sound in one on one tackling, our discipline isn't consistent and we're not winning matchups in the trenches. But if Kstate can do it there is absolutely no excuse why we can't. Our second string is just as talented as Kstate's first team defense. No excuses.
Sometimes when we play these type of teams I feel like it takes so much energy to get the play in and get set that our guys don't have any energy to win the play. These offenses are designed to cause fatigue to a defense, but running our complicated defense against them can be doubly exhausting. JMO.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Sometimes when we play these type of teams I feel like it takes so much energy to get the play in and get set that our guys don't have any energy to win the play. These offenses are designed to cause fatigue to a defense, but running our complicated defense against them can be doubly exhausting. JMO.
It has basically forced the hand of Saban to change or simplify his defense. Whatever Bill Snyder's group has done is the way to go. They obviously can run their defense in an efficient manner no matter how "fast" these offenses go.

But a big bulk of the problem is strictly fundamental stuff like one on one tackling and staying within your responsibilities.

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
Are the refs ever going to get sick of Malzahn constantly running on the field and screaming at them? Just once I would love for one of them to say STFU.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It has basically forced the hand of Saban to change or simplify his defense. Whatever Bill Snyder's group has done is the way to go. They obviously can run their defense in an efficient manner no matter how "fast" these offenses go.

But a big bulk of the problem is strictly fundamental stuff like one on one tackling and staying within your responsibilities.
True, I think it's difficult to play well during the play when there's chaos before the snap. The mindset of a player in the seconds before the ball is snapped is crucial, IMO. Our team was pretty fundamentally sound against Ole Miss and LSU last year. In fact, when playing regular-tempo offenses, we're the most fundamentally sound defense in college football.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
K State showed how to stop ANY option team: Sound, fundamental, disciplined defense. It works, even with less athletic athletes.

They just couldn't get it done on offense and ST.
Love him or hate him, but Paul Finebaum tweeted last night: "Nick Saban just flipped off the television...grinning."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The thing I see missing from AU right now is a dominant olineman and a dominant RB. They have two pretty good WRs. They will still be a tough out for every team..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope that CNS sent Coach Snyder a "friend request" last night.

I have a feeling they'll talk between now and the end of Nov.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think it has just as much to do with not having Greg Robinson (OL) as well. The 1st round NFL pick by the St. Louis Rams.
And Jay Prosch, who was literally the equivalent of another guard. I said it before (and got into an almost violent argument with a relative over it), those two were going to be a challenge to replace. No matter who came in to take their place, the experience would be lacking, and since JP was the strongest person on the team (reportedly), it's just hard to imagine them just plugging in another player and immediately getting the same results. GM said last year that he had no idea what they would have done without him; maybe we will see definitively in two weeks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.