New Time Magazine Cover - Is Football Worth It?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Fair question.
It is a fair question and it is one every parent should have with his or her child. We warn them of the dangers in water sports and we protect them when we can. They cannot enjoy life and have opportunities if we "bubble wrap" them and keep them home. I applaud any parent who discourages playing football and support those who approve of it. The choice should be made at home, not by social coercion or government, like most things.

It is a fair question and it is one every parent should have with his or her child. We warn them of the dangers in water sports and we protect them when we can. They cannot enjoy life and have opportunities if we "bubble wrap" them and keep them home. I applaud any parent who discourages playing football and support those who approve of it. The choice should be made at home, not by social coercion or government, like most things.
I'm with you, but discouraging I'm not so sure about. I do, however, understand your point. As parents, we have to do our best to protect. I'm just on the fence with it all.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
To be honest, I've asked myself the same question. Not because of the risk of physical injury, which participants knowingly undertake, but when seeing places like Happy Valley, PA and Tallahassee FL cover up and look away predatory criminal actions in the name of protecting their football programs, I ask myself if it's worth it. But, I don't blame football for that.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
100% agree.
I think both viewpoints can be dangerous - (A) end football because it is barbaric and people can die, or (B) who cares? It's football. Of course it's dangerous!
The research seems to be coming to the conclusion that playing football isn't a risk - brain injury is a certainty if you play enough. For some, it's worth the risk - they make a lot of money, and some positions don't get hit as much. But for the 6 year old who doesn't understand the risks, I certainly understand the need to educate parents on the topic.
I love football. I don't think we need to end football. But, we do need to be educated about it - that's not a bad thing. "Is football worth it?" Yes. Just like other things that can be deadly and certainly cause damage - drinking alcohol, eating brownies, watching TV instead of exercising, etc. I think a much more relevant question should be "Is drinking beer worth it?" I think at least 90% of the respondents would say, "of course," despite the fact alcohol kills millions more than football. It's just that the health risks of football are relatively new on the block. And we need to be aware of the risks.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here's the way I see it. I haven't read the article, but I did watch the video on the Time page.

Kids, coaches, and even parents too often ignore the risks. It's good to have a conversation about this topic. I've had parents get PO'd at me for not allowing their child to participate in games and practice when they had clear signs of concussion. When it comes right down to it, in any town in America in 2013 (when this happened) if a coach has to ask three (3) times! if a player is OK then that player doesn't need to be in the game. Period! Would the child have lived? Don't know? What kind of training did the coaches have? Any? Did the child have a pre-existing condition? A previous concussion? Don't know, but he shouldn't have been back on the field if the coach questioned whether he was OK enough to ask him 3 different times.

Edited to add: The author doesn't seem to be against the game of football.

Last edited:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
There is no blanket answer to this question. Any sport or just about any activity has risk involved. Precaution must be taken at every level for the safety and well being of our kids. The bottom line is that parents have to weigh all the options and risks involved with their children and the make a decision for their child.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Because I guess it needs to be pointed out: dying from an underlying heart condition is different than dying from a direct result of the sport itself, such as head trauma.
Are you saying with certainty that any person in precisely the same situation, regardless of his biology, would die?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.