Thanks to Uncle Joe, I had To Look Up "Shylock"

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Just when I thought I'd heard all the slurs, slanders and insults, V.P. Biden springs a Shakespearean reference on us that's got anti-Semitic undertones.

Funny thing is, he's taking on ruthless money lenders when he's for decades created a safe haven in Delaware for credit card companies who gladly charge 22%-29% APR's on their products.

Joe sorta reminds me of my late grandfather who'd spit out an ethnic slur in a New York minute and didn't think anyone should be offended. :biggrin2:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-using-word-Shylock-speech-money-lending.html

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Usury and Moneylending in Judaism
Usury is the payment of interest on a loan by [a] borrower to [a] lender. The two biblical passages which forbid the taking of interest are:

“If you lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shalt thou lay upon him interest” (Exodus 22:24).

“Thou shalt not lend upon interest to thy brother: interest of money, interest of victuals, interest of anything that is lent upon interest. Unto a foreigner thou mayest lend upon interest; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon interest; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all that thou puttest thy hand into, in the land whither thou goest in to possess it” (Deuteronomy 23:20-21).

The meaning of these verses is clear. In an agrarian society a loan to a poor man to tide him over, for instance, until the harvest or to help him buy farming instruments, was a basic act of human kindness which should be done freely without demanding any return. For the lender to take interest on the loan would be to impoverish the borrower still further. But the “foreigner,” the man who is on a visit to the land of Israel, is not bound by this law. He will take interest on any loans he makes to Israelites so that there can be no obligation for the Israelite not to reciprocate and take interest when lending to him.

The Christian church in the Middle Ages adapted the law as it stands in the Pentateuch but understood “thy brother” as referring to other Christians and the “foreigner” to non-Christians, hence Jews were allowed to become money-lenders, with many a sorry consequence, as Jewish history shows.
The stereotype of the greedy Jew exists chiefly due to usury laws which prohibited interest loans between those of the same faith.

Shylock, as a literary character, embodies the qualities he was trying to express.

Why this should be any different than a black man being called an Uncle Tom is a mystery to me.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
My thought is that perhaps he meant shyster. It fits the context.

Of course with Biden, you never know what words are gonna ooze out of his mouth (usually accompanied by finger pistols).

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Good old crazy Uncle Joe. Is there a stereotype he hasn't used? He's lucky he's a Democrat.
I think my favorite Joe gaffe was when he said "You can not go to a 7 Eleven or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent."

Joe's a riot.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My thought is that perhaps he meant shyster. It fits the context.

Of course with Biden, you never know what words are gonna ooze out of his mouth (usually accompanied by finger pistols).
I think his context was correct. In my experience a shyster generally refers to an unscrupulous lawyer or politician.

That said. He should know better. This is probably the least of the gaffes he has committed.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Yep. Joe's got the retarded old man schtick down pat. My favorite is when he asked a man in a wheelchair to stand up.
Yeah I forgot about that one.

Here's another gem. I can't say that I agree or disagree, but whatevs:

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be Vice President of the United States of America. Let's get that straight. She's a truly close personal friend. She is qualified to be President of the United States of America. She's easily qualified to be Vice President of the United States of America. Quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she's first rate."

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Yeah I forgot about that one.

Here's another gem. I can't say that I agree or disagree, but whatevs:

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be Vice President of the United States of America. Let's get that straight. She's a truly close personal friend. She is qualified to be President of the United States of America. She's easily qualified to be Vice President of the United States of America. Quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she's first rate."
Yeah, she might have been a better pick than Biden but that's not saying much - my cat might have been a better pick than Joe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.