Suggestions to negate the HUNH.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
At the present there are no pending changes on the immediate horizon to slow down these HUNH offenses. The lip service at the begining of the year by the officials that they would maintain the game speed at their speed and make sure officials were in position rather than hurry with no regard to being out of position for the sake of the offense trying to run a super fast tempo. I think we know 3 weeks in that was only talk and the play on the field is the same.

So my question is for anyone who has ideas or suggestion if you were coaching to counter these fast paced offenses. I have been thinking of this for a while and yes some teams have used the fake injury to slow down the offense. This has been a hot topic and could be concidered a form of cheating by deception of injury. Both morally and ethically considered wrong by most fans. So what are your ideas or solutions to help the defenses slow down the game or get substitutions on the field without getting caught with too many men on the field or players out of position.

I have a solution that I think is both technically within the rules and creative outside the box thinking. If a defender is out of gas and needs to come out of the game, as the play ends his helmet happens to come off. Now, by rule he isrequired to leave the field of play for at least one play and the refs have to hold the play until his replacement is on the field.

How long before the HUNH coaches would be crying about getting lockable chin straps? LOL. Would love to hear other legal ideas.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
At the present there are no pending changes on the immediate horizon to slow down these HUNH offenses. The lip service at the begining of the year by the officials that they would maintain the game speed at their speed and make sure officials were in position rather than hurry with no regard to being out of position for the sake of the offense trying to run a super fast tempo. I think we know 3 weeks in that was only talk and the play on the field is the same.

So my question is for anyone who has ideas or suggestion if you were coaching to counter these fast paced offenses. I have been thinking of this for a while and yes some teams have used the fake injury to slow down the offense. This has been a hot topic and could be concidered a form of cheating by deception of injury. Both morally and ethically considered wrong by most fans. So what are your ideas or solutions to help the defenses slow down the game or get substitutions on the field without getting caught with too many men on the field or players out of position.

I have a solution that I think is both technically within the rules and creative outside the box thinking. If a defender is out of gas and needs to come out of the game, as the play ends his helmet happens to come off. Now, by rule he isrequired to leave the field of play for at least one play and the refs have to hold the play until his replacement is on the field.

How long before the HUNH coaches would be crying about getting lockable chin straps? LOL. Would love to hear other legal ideas.

i think that if this was blatant, it would result in a delay of game or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

i think the best way to slow them down is to hit them hard enough to where it takes them longer to get back up ;)

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Do like teams use to do against the wishbone. Pound the qb into the dirt every play. It may not actually slow things down, but he will make more mistakes.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
the most important thing in slowing them down is two fold. the first thing you have to do is create a negative play or short gain on first down. if you notice a lot of HUNH teams tend to slow down if you win first down. the second thing is you have to pressure the QB with the four down linemen. I say pressure, not sack. although sacks are nice most of these teams employee a short quick passing game. the days of seven step drops are over, you can see that even in Bama's offense.

ok, three things. the defense MUST tackle well in space. Eddie Jackson has a knack for "shoulder tackling". the defender HAS to be sure to wrap up. the HUNH concept combined with the "spread and shred" passing game concept utilizes a lot of quick slants, screens and crossing routes that result in big plays if the db is not a sure tackler.

well four...forgot about one of the more important things. Your teams offense. RUN THE BALL with effectiveness. just look at the Texas Tech / Arkansas game if you need ay help figuring this out.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Most of these are good suggestions, particularly winning on first down. Most of the Hurry Up teams, whichever offensive scheme they are running, struggle from behind the chains and some mostly abandon hurry up with 2nd down and about 8 or more. I think it is also important for the coaches of the defensive teams and maybe even the defensive players to ride the officials about cooperating with and accommodating the offenses. Last year teams had players, especially quarterbacks and centers literally clapping their hands at (and presumably verbally urging the) officials to speed up when marking the ball and making gestures like "get out of the way". There were a couple of games where I thought "Uh-oh, kid, that official is about to give you chapter and verse on who tells whom what to do". Instead, the officials played along like the offense was paying their salaries.

I would also work on the refs consistently to be observing ineligible down field linemen for the offense, which is a staple of the offense for some of these teams (Barn) and snapping the ball before motion players have reset (where applicable). Lastly, the officials need to call more illegal formation penalties. Again, it is not an excuse that you were out of shape and winded and they snapped the ball before you figured out whether there were enough men on the line of scrimmage. Getting to cheat because you are fast enough to get away with it is not a good outcome for football generally. Some of the ways the game is being perverted by these strategies is not that rules need changing, but they need enforcing. If enough teams are pointing out faulty officiating on these teams play calls, the officials will start to look for it.

I have seen a couple of non-SEC games this year where the officials did a better job of standing over the ball and allowing correct defensive substitutions, like in the NFL. There needs to be a LOT more of that.

Finally, it will help if the talking heads, particularly at ESPN and CBS start showing up the teams that are violating the rules and the officials that are letting them get away with it. I despair of this really happening, because the networks think viewers love lots of high scoring back and forth arena ball "action". As long as they have their advertisers convinced of that, they are going to be major protectors of all of the Hurry Up offenses. If it is bad for football but good for ratings, ratings win every time.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'd play a 4-3 with two huge DT's, LB size ends, safety size OLB's, stud MLB, and 4 athletes for DB's. IOW, down size so the defense doesn't get so winded.

We're not going to get a rules change or co-operation from the refs.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
For a run-heavy team like the barn I wonder if using the ole 11-up defense would work, i.e., all eleven defenders on the line?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
here's a thought: I assign someone to watch/ spy QB and make sure we are in right coverage at time. I would use extra CB on nickel formation because of spread offenses using 5 receivers so I can take out one LB and put in CB. I want Four CBs, 1 Safety on the field. CB can be hybrid Safety at times... just gotta be able to support the run. I hate to say this, but think Rob Ryan's defense Scheme in NFL. that could work against offense like that if executed right by the right coach. Kriby would have field day with that.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Okay, some of these may not be nice or even legal, but it's all in fun right?

1. So, it seems that about 3 touchdowns per half is the average the HUNH teams are scoring. Each team has 3 timeouts. So, anytime the offense is abusing the no substitution rule and has crossed the 50 yard line, call a time out.
2. Be extra slow to get off of the offensive players/pile on every chance you get.
3. Make every tackle with more than one or two defensive guys a "fumble recovery" that takes a minute or so to get everyone unpiled.
4. Make sure the ball is stripped anytime possible a player is tackled, so the ball ends up in the defense's hands or flying away from the official/offense.
5. Take the 5 yard penalty for illegal substitution if the team is playing fast and your defense is winded.
6. Block the offense's wide receivers out of bounds on your side of the field and don't let up.
7. After the play is over, run with the receivers in a bump and run manner keeping them from directly running back to the line of scrimmage.
8. Pull an Allbarn and fall down with a fake leg injury anytime the other team is about to score.

Last edited:

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I thinkwe should use Bud Fosters system for the Barn. Corners on an island considering none of their receivers are great route runners. Deep safety, blitz and put Nick Perry in the box as a spy. Teams like Texas A&M just cut the ends and Jack loose...no more worrying about Johnny running, Kenny Hill isn't to quick.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Do whatever LSU has done the past two years to Texas A&M and in 2013 against AU. Chavis doesn't seem to have a problem stopping the HUNH offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.