why barns always get some "good luck"

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
it seems they could always win some games in "weird" ways.
e.g.: tipped incomplete pass, returned a miss FG, etc. (2010 Michael Dyer got a missed tackle for FG at final second.)

Today they intercepted an incomplete pass in the end zone, KSU has 3 missed FGs, 1st down conversion in the last play etc.

Any thought on that?

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
New committee guideline:

A team can not be given, by the opponent, more than one game in a season. Any others will be considered as losses by the committee.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
They didn't have much luck in 2012 when they lost every SEC game. They weren't lucky in the 2011 Iron Bowl when they lost 49-0. Not much luck against FSU last January.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Well, they proved last year that how you win doesn't matter. Just win, baby.

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
I was watching the game last night in my living room and you can even imagine on many time I said to myself : I've never seen a lucky team like that ! I'm following the NFL, the CFL, the college football in Canada and in the US and this team is by far the luckiest team that I ever seen. That game last night reminded me a bit of last year Iron Bowl. We should have won by at least 2 TD. Last night, Auburn should have lost that game by at least 10 points. The question is : are they just lucky or they are a very opportunist team ??? There is one thing for sure, whether they are lucky or not, I hate watching this team win !!! I went to bed mad and I didn't sleep well :mad2:

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This. It's just perception. If the same thing happened to Alabama we'd say that a good team capitalizes on the other teams mistakes.
Exactly. The Barn didn't make us blow coverage last year. They didn't make UGA try for a useless interception when they should have batted the ball down. They just refused to quit on the game, and were in position to take advantage of a lucky break. We've got a few breaks ourselves (Cody's two blocked FGs in '09, the touchback in '05, etc.), and capitalized on them for the same reasons.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Perhaps it is just perception. However, my parents would talk about their luck. My folks were Bama fans from way back in the 1930s when Tennessee was our arch rivals. After the rivalry with the barn resumed they talked about how lucky the barn would get, and were especially adamant luck in their 1957 national championship. I wish I knew the specifics. And if that perception was already out there then punt-Bama-punt validated it for a lot of us.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
it seems they could always win some games in "weird" ways.
e.g.: tipped incomplete pass, returned a miss FG, etc. (2010 Michael Dyer got a missed tackle for FG at final second.)

Today they intercepted an incomplete pass in the end zone, KSU has 3 missed FGs, 1st down conversion in the last play etc.

Any thought on that?
As someone who has seen the barn and Bama play for over 50 years I have a theory on this.

The "red headed step child" designation has seeped into their team tradition or DNA. No matter how bad they are they tend to keep playing hard and trying to win at least their individual battles in a ball game. If the other team doesn't capitalize over the course of a game and allows them to "stay" in the game that seems to make them stronger and more motivated to keep playing hard.

A team that keeps hanging around may eventually find a way to beat you. I'll never forget the "punt Bama punt" game. Our offense played lackadaisical all game but our defense played well. AU only got 80 yards in total offense then two almost identical blocked punts for TD's.

I've seen them snatch victory from defeat time and time again.

When they are most vulnerable is when they really are good and slack off.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As someone who has seen the barn and Bama play for over 50 years I have a theory on this.

The "red headed step child" designation has seeped into their team tradition or DNA. No matter how bad they are they tend to keep playing hard and trying to win at least their individual battles in a ball game. If the other team doesn't capitalize over the course of a game and allows them to "stay" in the game that seems to make them stronger and more motivated to keep playing hard.

A team that keeps hanging around may eventually find a way to beat you. I'll never forget the "punt Bama punt" game. Our offense played lackadaisical all game but our defense played well. AU only got 80 yards in total offense then two almost identical blocked punts for TD's.

I've seen them snatch victory from defeat time and time again.

When they are most vulnerable is when they really are good and slack off.
Most teams fall victim to this. I think Fla St will be one of those teams that do along with auburn.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I agree with most posters that lots of times its perception and last night's game was clearly one of those. That being said auburn has had some just lucky moments.. clemson, ark, in 2010 GA last year, in fact i would say the auburn DB was rewarded for bad play, he never stopped running or tried to come back to make a play on the ball.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I was watching the game last night in my living room and you can even imagine on many time I said to myself : I've never seen a lucky team like that ! I'm following the NFL, the CFL, the college football in Canada and in the US and this team is by far the luckiest team that I ever seen. That game last night reminded me a bit of last year Iron Bowl. We should have won by at least 2 TD. Last night, Auburn should have lost that game by at least 10 points. The question is : are they just lucky or they are a very opportunist team ??? There is one thing for sure, whether they are lucky or not, I hate watching this team win !!! I went to bed mad and I didn't sleep well :mad2:
For me, this is a main reason why it`s so damned scary to play these guys. I`ve tried to remember the bad bounce, the inopportune penalty, the crucial incompletion or fumble, etc. that went against them and I just flat can`t do it. Maybe I just need to watch more barn football, but that ain`t gonna happen!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.