Looking Back (review of last five years)

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Re: Looking Back

Your not trying to rewrite history all I am saying is most of our losses are self inflected. I assuming you have never coached. I may be wrong but turnovers, pentalties, missed field goals, are all great teaching points. If a team beats you like Alabama did to Michigan State, you just tip your hat and tell your players that this is the level we are trying to get to. We dominated in every aspect of the game. If you turn the ball over, miss field goals, or any other self inflected mistake then you can point out to the kids that you are better than what you showed on the field, you have to work hard to fix these mistakes, and if you do then the only one who can stop you I yourself. These are great motivating points especially in high school. I also understand the ball has bounced our way games too I'm not saying they haven't, but I only focused on the losses. Name me one of those losses we played our A game an big mistake free. No team has just beat us by just being better to me. There has been self inflicted mistakes that have cost our team.
they may be the only team to do it in years, but the sooners laid a whoopin' on us last season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

they may be the only team to do it in years, but the sooners laid a whoopin' on us last season.
I said this in the Bama/OU post-game or subsequent threads (with all the handwringing we had), but OU beat us in the Sugar the way we normally beat other teams...by taking advantage of our turnovers and key mistakes.

It's easy to see how turnovers hurt us when we commit them, but in most of the games we win, we force or take advantage of other team's turnovers and mistakes.

It really is rare to see a game when both teams play their A game and don't shoot themselves in the foot a few times.

So yes, turnovers are a part of the game and drastically contribute to the outcome of almost every game.

Last edited:

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014

I said this in the Bama/OU post-game or subsequent threads (with all the handwringing we had), but OU beat us in the Sugar the way we normally beat other teams...by taking advantage of our turnovers and key mistakes.

It's easy to see how turnovers hurt us when we commit them, but in most of the games we win, we force or take advantage of other team's turnovers and mistakes.

It really is rare to see a game when both teams play their A game and don't shoot themselves in the foot a few times.

So yes, turnovers are a part of the game and drastically contribute to the outcome of almost every game.
Exactly this is the point that I was trying to make. You said it better than I could. Turnovers happen in 98% of games and the teams that can take advantage if others mistakes win 99% of the time. I do not try and use it as an excuse. We just use it as teaching points. All the teams that beat us won the game no doubt about it. I just do not believe we got beat because of the other teams being better and not many teams in the nation can say that for a 5 or 6 year stretch is amazing to me is all I am trying to say.

Graytide, I was also not trying to insult you about the not coaching. I apologize if it came across that way. As coaches, we always look for teaching and motivation points and ball security is our number one. I just believe there is a difference in excuse and teaching point.

I even quote Saban to our players. "If you take what the defense gives you they will usually give you the game and if the other team is beating themselves then don't change anything to stop them"

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014

I agree but a bad as our team played and how they torched our defense we were still only down 7 with the ball with a chance to march down the field and tie it up before the great play by their defense end. So our offense whooped up on their defense too. My point is self inflected mistakes with the fumbles and a missed field goal are ultimately our downfall. Yet to hear the media it was a blowout.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Exactly this is the point that I was trying to make. You said it better than I could. Turnovers happen in 98% of games and the teams that can take advantage if others mistakes win 99% of the time. I do not try and use it as an excuse. We just use it as teaching points. All the teams that beat us won the game no doubt about it. I just do not believe we got beat because of the other teams being better and not many teams in the nation can say that for a 5 or 6 year stretch is amazing to me is all I am trying to say.

Graytide, I was also not trying to insult you about the not coaching. I apologize if it came across that way. As coaches, we always look for teaching and motivation points and ball security is our number one. I just believe there is a difference in excuse and teaching point.

I even quote Saban to our players. "If you take what the defense gives you they will usually give you the game and if the other team is beating themselves then don't change anything to stop them"
No offense taken Coach. Mistakes happen in every game, some can be overcome and some cannot. You never hear the winning team say "if Alabama hadn't made some many mistakes we would never have won today".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Looking back at the Saban years, I see a team that finds a way to win. You have a few losses scattered through those years, but they are all to very solid teams, and all required a great effort by your opponent. Even with its mistakes in those games, Alabama had a chance to win every one. Every team in America wishes that they could say that.

If you want to beat Alabama, you had better bring your A game and pack a lunch.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Looking back at the Saban years, I see a team that finds a way to win. You have a few losses scattered through those years, but they are all to very solid teams, and all required a great effort by your opponent. Even with its mistakes in those games, Alabama had a chance to win every one. Every team in America wishes that they could say that.

Amen! If it was just about talent and star ratings Bama wouldn't lose a game under CNS. I think that is the point Coach is trying to make. When we play to our standard, as CNS likes to preach, we rarely lose.

But the game of football (and competitive sports in general) is a funny thing. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. Sometimes the best team doesn't play like a team or they don't play to their full potential or they make sloppy mistakes. And then sometimes the underdog plays "above their heads" and just shows more grit and determination and they pull the upset.

Perhaps the bigger thing to consider is that since 2009 Bama has been the favorite to win almost every game we've played. That means every opponent has the extra motivation to pull the upset and they realize beating Bama could do "wonders" for their program. Translation: we get everybody's best shot!

Or....WE WANT BAMA!!!

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014

Amen! If it was just about talent and star ratings Bama wouldn't lose a game under CNS. I think that is the point Coach is trying to make. When we play to our standard, as CNS likes to preach, we rarely lose.

But the game of football (and competitive sports in general) is a funny thing. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. Sometimes the best team doesn't play like a team or they don't play to their full potential or they make sloppy mistakes. And then sometimes the underdog plays "above their heads" and just shows more grit and determination and they pull the upset.

Perhaps the bigger thing to consider is that since 2009 Bama has been the favorite to win almost every game we've played. That means every opponent has the extra motivation to pull the upset and they realize beating Bama could do "wonders" for their program. Translation: we get everybody's best shot!

Or....WE WANT BAMA!!!

Thank you for this post that's exactly what I was trying to say. You just said it a lot better than I did lol. Saban preaches play to the standard you set for yourself and if you meet that standard you will have success. At Alabama, he has just set a standard so high that we expect a dominate performance every game which is what makes Alabama the standard for other teams to try to be.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014

Great post.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.