Looking Back (review of last five years)

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I really am thankful for Nick Saban, he has had us in the national championship talk in the last weeks of seasons for 5 out of 6 years.

I posted this is another thread but want all the people who have such a doom and gloom outlook on our team to have a chance to look back at what Saban has done and was on the verge of doing.

Lets just look back at the last 5 years.

2009: 14-0

2010: 10-3
South Carolina: Garcia played game of his life tip your hat.
LSU: Key turnovers cost us that game.
*U: Blew 21 point lead and fumble 20 yards straight into endzone so turnovers proved costly.

2011: 12-1
LSU: Missed field goal after missed field goal. Enough said

2012: 13-1
Texas A&M: Johnny Football but also turnovers and even offsides call on punt at en of game to give us another chance.

2013: 12-2
*U: Missed field goals, 4th down conversion, and I'm not going to say it but the end.
OU: Trevor Knight had the game of his life, but turnovers played a big part and another missed field goal.

Interesting that almost every loss we have had has been because I turnovers or missed field goals. Other than the South Carolina game, we beat ourselves in most of the games we have actually lost. Don't worry that's the way the ball bounces but don't think that teams are running us out o the stadium we have been in every game down to the last drive even OU. Don't let the media tell you that we are a team that can't stop no huddle teams or are getting routed by them... It's just not true. We are a play or two away (going back to 2008 with Florida) from having a chance to play for 5 national titles in 6 years. Now it didn't work out that way but we were in the conversation going into to the final games I the year. We are obviously doing something right. We just had mistakes and beat ourself most of the time.

If you would like to see the past, this is a link to wiki to refresh your minds about pre-Saban. Below is a link to wiki of Saban's first year. There is a spot you can go forward with the year and backwards with the year. For some perspective I would like for you to look into the past before Saban.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football_team

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Re: Looking Back

Great post Coach, and this is what's I've been thinking for a while now. The man has made an incredible impact on the whole university and I respect the heck out of him for his work ethic, adaptability, and the way he's affected so many lives in a positive way.

I think once we get to the end of this season, everyone will look back and realize how ignorant all of our hand-wringing was!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

The record speaks for itself. 2008-2012 I think will go down as one of the best runs in college football of all time. I think what is so disappointing though is to know how close we came to extending that to include 2013 with what would have been an unprecedented fourth NC in 5 yrs and to see it melt away like it did in the waning minutes of the iron bowl and then to turn around and see Saban get outcoached against Bob Stoops, both of those combined were just hard to stomach. Thankfully I do believe in the law of averages and think we will get a shot eventually at OU again and of course nothing would be sweeter than to(finally) beat a 10+ win barn team and then advance to the playoff/NC game.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i think that folks underestimate the effect of being on the top and getting everyone's best game. every single team we play wants to be the one that knocks off the mighty bama.

feels pretty good if you ask me :)

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

I really am thankful for Nick Saban, he has had us in the national championship talk in the last weeks of seasons for 5 out of 6 years.

I posted this is another thread but want all the people who have such a doom and gloom outlook on our team to have a chance to look back at what Saban has done and was on the verge of doing.

Lets just look back at the last 5 years.

2009: 14-0

2010: 10-3
South Carolina: Garcia played game of his life tip your hat.
LSU: Key turnovers cost us that game.
*U: Blew 21 point lead and fumble 20 yards straight into endzone so turnovers proved costly.

2011: 12-1
LSU: Missed field goal after missed field goal. Enough said

2012: 13-1
Texas A&M: Johnny Football but also turnovers and even offsides call on punt at en of game to give us another chance.

2013: 12-2
*U: Missed field goals, 4th down conversion, and I'm not going to say it but the end.
OU: Trevor Knight had the game of his life, but turnovers played a big part and another missed field goal.

Interesting that almost every loss we have had has been because I turnovers or missed field goals. Other than the South Carolina game, we beat ourselves in most of the games we have actually lost. Don't worry that's the way the ball bounces but don't think that teams are running us out o the stadium we have been in every game down to the last drive even OU. Don't let the media tell you that we are a team that can't stop no huddle teams or are getting routed by them... It's just not true. We are a play or two away (going back to 2008 with Florida) from having a chance to play for 5 national titles in 6 years. Now it didn't work out that way but we were in the conversation going into to the final games I the year. We are obviously doing something right. We just had mistakes and beat ourself most of the time.

If you would like to see the past, this is a link to wiki to refresh your minds about pre-Saban. Below is a link to wiki of Saban's first year. There is a spot you can go forward with the year and backwards with the year. For some perspective I would like for you to look into the past before Saban.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football_team

If you like what we have done the past 6 years. Go back and have a look at the 60's and especially the 70's. Bama has been very good much more than they have been very bad. No brag just plain bear fact!!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I simply will never understand "we beat ourselves" and "if not for the turnovers" rationale. They happened, you cannot rewrite history, it is part of the game of football. Yes, the past 5-6 years have been more than I believed would happen and CNS is to be credited for this success; we have the very best coach in all of football, not just college.

The reality is that college football has changed since CNS's arrival in Tuscaloosa, more teams have more better players who sometime play over their head and can occasionally beat an Alabama, LSU, etc. In spite of all the success we have enjoyed; we have lost a few games we should have won but the other team made the plays necessary to win. Any team can use the rationale that "we are the better team and we just beat ourselves with turnovers". It is still a loss and, IMO, we should not resort to making excuses.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I simply will never understand "we beat ourselves" and "if not for the turnovers" rationale. They happened, you cannot rewrite history, it is part of the game of football. Yes, the past 5-6 years have been more than I believed would happen and CNS is to be credited for this success; we have the very best coach in all of football, not just college.

The reality is that college football has changed since CNS's arrival in Tuscaloosa, more teams have more better players who sometime play over their head and can occasionally beat an Alabama, LSU, etc. In spite of all the success we have enjoyed; we have lost a few games we should have won but the other team made the plays necessary to win. Any team can use the rationale that "we are the better team and we just beat ourselves with turnovers". It is still a loss and, IMO, we should not resort to making excuses.
Good points. Also, the excuse of 'if it hadn't been for the bad calls/no calls" and constantly blaming the officials is another one that I get tired of hearing. Human error is part of the game whether we like it or not, and you have to allow for it. Thankfully, instant replay has changed this to some degree. Sometimes these calls benefit you, other times it does not. I don't think we should use it as an excuse either for losing the big games.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

My post was not intended to down play what our teams have accomplished since the arrival of CNS. We are still the "gold standard" in college football and it will take a supreme for just about any team to beat us, but it can happen, and it gets down to the team that makes the plays at critical times will win.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

I still think there is a difference between getting utterly beat down and having a game where you ultimately lose but are in contention the whole game. The only game since 08 where I felt that we were thoroughly handled was USC in 2010. We had a glimmer of hope after the crazy safety play, but we went three and out or something like that and they drove down immediately and scored a TD.

Most of our other losses have been well contested games where like you say we needed to make a play to win the game and we didn't. However, in those games it is only natural to look at the things that you failed to do or that you did that cost you the game.

The good news is that almost all of our loses are games where we had a chance and came up a little short. The even better news is that those type of games have happened very rarely.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not a pessimist but there also 1 or 2 plays in each of those years that if they went the other way we would have no NCs. I'm appreciative of what CNS has done here but let's not act like we blew every team off the field during those years..

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

Stick around. We'll fix that problem.
[Thread started about how we should appreciate Bama's recent run of success]

[Subsequent posts are mostly about how we should have won MORE, how we made mistakes, how we shouldn't make excuses for losses, how Bear did it better, how we were a few plays away from winning 0 NC's...]

Hey, positivity is alive and well around these parts! ;)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

SMH

[Thread started about how we should appreciate Bama's recent run of success]

[Subsequent posts are mostly about how we should have won MORE, how we made mistakes, how we shouldn't make excuses for losses, how Bear did it better, how we were a few plays away from winning 0 NC's...]

Hey, positivity is alive and well around these parts! ;)

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014

Your not trying to rewrite history all I am saying is most of our losses are self inflected. I assuming you have never coached. I may be wrong but turnovers, pentalties, missed field goals, are all great teaching points. If a team beats you like Alabama did to Michigan State, you just tip your hat and tell your players that this is the level we are trying to get to. We dominated in every aspect of the game. If you turn the ball over, miss field goals, or any other self inflected mistake then you can point out to the kids that you are better than what you showed on the field, you have to work hard to fix these mistakes, and if you do then the only one who can stop you I yourself. These are great motivating points especially in high school. I also understand the ball has bounced our way games too I'm not saying they haven't, but I only focused on the losses. Name me one of those losses we played our A game an big mistake free. No team has just beat us by just being better to me. There has been self inflicted mistakes that have cost our team.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

You assume wrong about my coaching. I agree when you get waxed like Alabama vs MSU you tip your hat and work toward getting more like Alabama. I also agree that mistakes in a game are great teaching points, but that is the nature of competitive sports and should not be used as an excuse for losing. Too much emphasis is placed on how much talent we have and we can only lose if we beat ourselves, sometimes you catch a team playing over their head and that coupled with not making plays at crucial times gets you beat. "We beat ourselves" is a lame excuse used by teams like auburn, not Alabama.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

sometimes you just lose.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Your not trying to rewrite history all I am saying is most of our losses are self inflected. I assuming you have never coached. I may be wrong but turnovers, pentalties, missed field goals, are all great teaching points. If a team beats you like Alabama did to Michigan State, you just tip your hat and tell your players that this is the level we are trying to get to. We dominated in every aspect of the game. If you turn the ball over, miss field goals, or any other self inflected mistake then you can point out to the kids that you are better than what you showed on the field, you have to work hard to fix these mistakes, and if you do then the only one who can stop you I yourself. These are great motivating points especially in high school. I also understand the ball has bounced our way games too I'm not saying they haven't, but I only focused on the losses. Name me one of those losses we played our A game an big mistake free. No team has just beat us by just being better to me. There has been self inflicted mistakes that have cost our team.
You don't have to have been a player to be able to watch and enjoy the game of football and you don't have to have coached to understand and analyze football. The fact that you would insinuate that is quite aloof..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.