News Article: Oh Alabama schools, really?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Imo they didn't have the authority to use her as bait for the reasons below:
1. She is a minor and not legally able to give her consent.
2. She is a special needs child and may not understand the potential harm that could come to her.
3. Because of the two above factors, the school would have to secure the permission of her legal guardian before they used her in the 'sting'.
They failed her all the way around.
This school is in a lot of trouble, as is every member of the school's administration who had a part in this (in)action. If I were the guardian of this child, I'd have to insist that each and every one of them be held both legally responsible and financially accountable.
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that they had the authority. As far as the guardians are concerned, almost nothing is done for special needs children without some form of consent or information given to them. Too much of a liability. I find it very hard to believe that the "guardian" was completely ignorant. If our school system changes or does ANYTHING for/with my daughter (no matter what it is) we are informed about it. Also if the young man "hit" on this girl several times I'm sure they were aware of it by other means, especially with his reputation.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
If I were the guardian of this child, I'd have to insist that each and every one of them be held both legally responsible and financially accountable.
and physically responsible. id want them all sued, fired, incarcerated, and then when they got out of jail i'd be waiting on them.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
As a principal, here are the issues that jump out at me immediately:

1. It had been reported the student had already tried to get students to meet and have sex with him at the school.
2. Prior history of this student.
3. A teacher assistant, an aide probably used the IEP student as bait.
4. What, if anything did the students classroom teacher and principal do with the report?
5. What, if anything did the boys teacher and others do to keep him from certain parts of the building during the school day?

With prior knowledge, this boy could have been put up on Title IX charges immediately if he was trying to get other students to have sex with him.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Vice principal Dunaway testified that the girl was responsible for herself once she entered the bathroom, according the brief.
Wut????!!!!!!!!!

I am against violence. I am against violence. I am against violence.

I have to keep repeating this to myself. Sheesh.

And when I talk badly about Principals and VP's this is exactly the kind of attitude I am talking about.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It seems to me that the only two things that are pretty much universally agreed upon on this board are:

1) Alabama Crimson Tide rules
2) Child abuse sets everyone on edge

and we all wind up on the same side no matter what.

I appreciate these rare threads when everyone basically agrees. (At which point Bamaro or 92tide will chime in with.....the unexpected).

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I went to that school (building) years ago when it was the high school. Though it's now the middle school and the faculty are different people, it sounds like the same old stuff goes on.

The things that went on there when I attended, and years prior, would easily make national news now. I was fortunate to have gone to a private school much of my elementary years, and was years ahead of the curriculum being taught. I was able to float through without the violence, drugs, and other antics interfering with making the grade..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.