Link: Auburn good at stealing signals.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Auburn does have a pattern when running without a huddle. The often repeat the same play.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
The barn and their silly signs. I made a comment about them using silly signs last night and without missing a beat, my wife (a gator grad) says, "Honey, that's because the barn players can't read." :)

I think this one has to do with Nick Marshall wearing as much rouge as Nikki Minaj.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
A lot was made of the barn stealing FSU's signals in the NC game last year. That was as much on FSU not changing their signals knowing Craig was coaching for the barn. FSU got what they deserved by not changing signals.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
This happens all the time. What about when people hire coaches away from other schools....you don't think they give secrets of what the other team does?

It is just one of those things that happen in football.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
It is all part of the game, but it also confirms the suspicions that I have had, that Auburn's defense seems to play better than they should given their level of talent.

JeremyS4Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 22, 2011
Alexander City, AL
How about the fact that Auburn seemingly knew what plays were going to be run and still only won by 6 pts and K State had several scoring opportunities they just didn't convert.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Its part of the game. Stealing signals would be sending a spy to the opponents practices and knowing the signals before the game. Seeing the signals during the game and reading them is part of the game..
I agree that if you pick them up during a game, more power to you. I used to pick up the other teams signals coaching baseball, just by looking at the opposing coaches.
In football though, knowing the other teams signals going in to the game is kind of like having an unauthorized copy of their play book, and that bugs me a bit.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Picking up on signals is one thing. If they have people dedicated to deciphering codes on the sidelines, that's a whole different animal. Almost any code can be broken, if you notice the formation and play when the team gives a certain signal , that is good awareness. If you employ a team of cryptologists to decipher signals, then that's unsportsmanlike .

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've often wondered to myself when watching games when a team signal in plays, that eventually during the game, the other team should be watching the signals being called, and know what play is about to happen..How can you combat teams that's stealing your plays like that when you signal them in???..Can you have WR's rotate in & out each play..And have them stand by the OC(if he's on the sideline like Kiffin is this year) or stand by whoever signals in the plays..And tell the WR that's rotating in what the play is & allow him to run the play in each time..Then there's no way the D would have a clue as to what play is coming in..

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Picking up on signals is one thing. If they have people dedicated to deciphering codes on the sidelines, that's a whole different animal. Almost any code can be broken, if you notice the formation and play when the team gives a certain signal , that is good awareness. If you employ a team of cryptologists to decipher signals, then that's unsportsmanlike .
You would almost have to have a "cryptologists" to figure out anything other than basic signals. The coaches and players have too much on their plate to figure these things out. Now, certain formations can imply certain play types but actually figuring out what and where the other team is going can't be done without some concerted effort.

Someone mentioned figuring out baseball signals but baseball is a much slower game and usually only relates to some fairly simple things to do when at bat or on base.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I've often wondered to myself when watching games when a team signal in plays, that eventually during the game, the other team should be watching the signals being called, and know what play is about to happen..How can you combat teams that's stealing your plays like that when you signal them in???..Can you have WR's rotate in & out each play..And have them stand by the OC(if he's on the sideline like Kiffin is this year) or stand by whoever signals in the plays..And tell the WR that's rotating in what the play is & allow him to run the play in each time..Then there's no way the D would have a clue as to what play is coming in..
This is why some teams have 3 or 4 back up qb's signaling in plays. They can choose any one before the series or you look at a certain guy for all first downs, another one for secon downs, and so on. The reason that the uptempo teams can not run in players with the call or stand the players over at the sideline is it hurts the pace for them and allows defenses to sub.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.