Link: Auburn good at stealing signals.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I know in baseball it is common and expected. Not sure what the etiquette is in football.
i remember playing left field in a hs baseball game and i figured out the opposing 3d base coaches signals. he wasn't very happy when i kept yelling the calls in. they switched signals in the next inning :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i remember playing left field in a hs baseball game and i figured out the opposing 3d base coaches signals. he wasn't very happy when i kept yelling the calls in. they switched signals in the next inning :)
Yeah, it was just known that anyone not playing was to try to figure out the other team's signals. It was just another element of gamesmanship.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I did the same thing! Only in sign language. If I knew the team were doing this and that, I'll call out to certain baseman and say " Hey, adjust to this " in sign language. We won lot of games that year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Auburn is going to get exposed this season. I dont think we'll have issues because Kiffin is different. we changed a lot of signal calls so they wouldnt figure it out.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Unless there is a rule that explicitly forbids it, why not do it if it gives you a competitive advantage?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the 2005 matchup with Florida:

The 13th-ranked Florida Gators (4-1, 2-1) are trying to figure out whether Alabama knew what plays were coming during last week’s 31-3 loss in Tuscaloosa.

Several players said after the game that they quickly picked up Florida’s signals and audibles and took advantage of it.

“We’re college students. You can’t just keep calling the same signals over and over again," Tide linebacker DeMeco Ryans said.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It isn't stealing, the signs are there for all to see. Cheating would be bugging the phone lines to the press box.

Hate ot defend the barn, but this does not bother me.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Its part of the game. Stealing signals would be sending a spy to the opponents practices and knowing the signals before the game. Seeing the signals during the game and reading them is part of the game..

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I agree that probably some degree of this goes on everywhere; it'd be difficult or impossible to ignore signals sometimes. I think the AU sideline probably makes less or no attempt to hide that they're doing it. This is consistent with the overall attitude of the program, if you believe that the hire of Chizik was an organized plan to improve recruiting by paying players, knowing full well the NCAA was weak and could be fought by good lawyers if caught.

I've never been a FB coach or tried to organize sports signals, but I assume if you know you're being read you can actually hurt your opponent with fake or changing signals. I don't know why they don't just hold up a big number and change everyone's armband every series.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Its part of the game. Stealing signals would be sending a spy to the opponents practices and knowing the signals before the game. Seeing the signals during the game and reading them is part of the game..
Yep it is. It is very much a part of the game. I'm not sure how it is done in football but in baseball we always had dummy calls going on at the same time as the real calls.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, it's better to look at it this way: Auburn "decoded" KS's signals. It's not stealing if something is put out for everybody to see.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agreed. It may not sound very "sporting" but I don't really see any difference in this and observing that the WR always leads with his left foot when he's running and out route or that the tackle always places one foot further back when he's in pass protection. If the other team keeps using the same audible of "blue" for a running play and "richard" means it's going to the right, then you wouldn't want the defense to ignore that. I hate those sideline pictures. I think they make the team look stupid.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If your signal gets stolen.....Use better signals......

That's like saying -- if you are playing poker, and everyone realizes that the guys hand keeps getting reflected in his "sunglasses" - that everyone should tell him?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.