Yahoo: Dabo Swinney doesn't care about asterisks if Clemson beats Florida State (Dr. Saturda

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From Yahoo Sports:
September 19th, 2014 09:44 AM

With Jameis Winston out for the first half Saturday night because of a suspension, Clemson has a big opportunity to jump out to a first-half lead. Winston was suspended by Florida State for the first 30 minutes because of a lewd remark he yelled at the FSU student union on Tuesday. If FSU struggles in his absence with QB Sean Maguire and Clemson wins, there will undoubtedly be wondering if the Noles would have won with Winston playing the entire game. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney doesn't care about that. “Georgia beat us. Did we put an asterisk by that?," Swinney said Wednesday after practice (via TigerNet.com.) "We didn’t have three senior starters,” Swinney said outside of the indoor practice facility. “You don’t think Corey Crawford, David Beasley and Garry Peters could’ve made difference? How about Sam Cooper? Do we put an asterisk by that Georgia win? Three guys from Georgia that game that were important too and I didn’t have to sit them that game. Heck, no. They beat us. Period. There’s no asterisk by that. Give me a break." Swinney then channeled the 2010 BCS Championship Game. Texas AB Colt McCoy was hurt early in the game against Alabama and the Crimson Tide won with Texas backup QB Garrett Gilbert playing the rest of the game. “I watched Alabama beat Texas a few years ago and Colt McCoy went out in the first couple of series. I don’t think there’s an asterisk on that crystal ball down there in Tuscaloosa (Al.). They won the game. I think we’ve got a national championship trophy in there where we beat Nebraska. I don’t think they played Turner Gill in that game but it still says national championship. I’m not getting into all of that stuff. If we’re good enough to win no matter who’s on the field. If we’re not, we won’t. Bottom line.” Swinney has the right mindset. And besides, asterisk or not, Clemson goes into the ACC Atlantic driver's seat with a win. It'll have the head-to-head tiebreaker over Florida State and could have the opportunity to play and win another gam in the ACC Championship. Would it be enough to get into a College Football Playoff? Who knows. The selection committee may give the proverbial asterisk to Florida State's loss. However, for ACC purposes, if Clemson wins and goes to the title game, there will be no asterisk. For more Clemson news, visit TigerIllustrated.com. - - - - - - - Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @NickBromberg

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.