Link: Good article on Hal Mumme and the Air Raid Offense (Long)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That was a great read! I just didn't know that Hal Mumme had affected big time college football that much. I also didn't know that Leach had coached with him. Now, I know why Alabama lost that game years ago at Kentucky.

That's a great read for any football fan.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Good read. I didn't know he's at Belhaven (my son lives in Jackson). May have to roll up there & catch the small school version of the Air Raid.

Also, I remember watching Tim Couch-vintage KY come to MSU (with a buddy who's an MSU grad). Couch threw for >400 yards iirc...and the 'Cats lost the game.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Rush Propst is a Mumme disciple. I remember him talking incessantly about Kentucky and Mumme at clinics when he was at Hoover, and I vividly remember "the mesh".

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I always liked Mumme and loved watching UK when Couch was their QB. Mumme once said he always told his punter to punt the ball away from the return man. (Paraphrasing) "Why would I want to give the ball to the best athlete on the other team in the open field? Kick the stupid ball out of bounds so he can't return it."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Buzz, good read. Curry took the best HS QB in the country and would have ruined him. Couch was a college star who could not carry it over to the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.