Wifi at Bryant Denny

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
IIRC, there's a member on this board who's company installs Wifi in large stadiums and arenas and he's given insight before. Hopefully, he'll chime in.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Notice that Auburn charges their fans for Wifi. The only school to do so. And we thought they were a family.

Bunch of cheap...

Auburn Tigers have WiFi at Jordan-Hare Stadium? YES (Not Free)

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Jessn posted thisthe other day regarding his Twitter in the stadium. Apparently a tower or something is in there improving data and cell service

Here's what he wrote

The last couple of years, we've tried live tweeting from the stadium during home games and it's been, quite frankly, a dud of an idea.<br />
<br />
The problem hasn't been with us, but with the cell network at Bryant-Denny. Well, either UA finally made the upgrades it has been promising to the network, or it was the improvement in equipment on our end that did it, but we've been able to successfully send updates the last two weeks.<br />
<br />
Provided the stadium's network holds up, we'll continue to do it throughout the year.<br/>

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
As reported over the summer, there was an upgrade over the off-season that improved cell coverage in the stadium. It has been much better the last two weeks than in past years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
just my opinion,

when i go through the effort to go to a game, the last thing on my mind is getting on line or talking on my phone.
I agree with this in theory. However, they have pretty much maxed out the stadium when it comes to capacity. The way to wow people, into coming, into creating niches for higher priced tickets, and just overall impress people is to make technological improvements. That's where things are headed now.

It becomes a little like the waterfall in the shower. Unnecessary, but it serves a purpose.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I agree with this in theory. However, they have pretty much maxed out the stadium when it comes to capacity. The way to wow people, into coming, into creating niches for higher priced tickets, and just overall impress people is to make technological improvements. That's where things are headed now.

It becomes a little like the waterfall in the shower. Unnecessary, but it serves a purpose.
The thing is that for mobile applications that use data upgrading cellular capacity just makes the mobile carriers more money whereas WIFI would be free, (unless you're in AU's stadium). All the mobile carriers have been squeezing the amount of high speed data you have access to with most carrier plans.

I don't do it but my son is on his mobile phone all the time especially during game day getting updates on other games around the country. That's just one of the uses that would make the game experience better with a top flight WIFI network.

If the carriers and cable providers don't kill it WIMAX should be the future. With WIMAX even rural areas can have high speed internet access since it's capable of covering thousands of square miles.

Back in the 80's I had a ex-Navy guy setup a radio network for our offices that were about 50 miles apart and it worked like a charm.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, i understand why they're doing it, it just strikes me as a bit weird that folks have to be connected every second and every where they go. but thats probably more of a discussion for the ns board :)

stew0729

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2011
It is my understanding that Bryant Denny does have wifi, its just not open to the public. It is for staff only.

They could fit a couple more thousand in there. [emoji6]

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
I will often call my Dad, who is watching at home, about how an official review will turn out or about the interviews with coaches. If we had WiFi we could also see the games on our phones. It would be cool to see the replays and not have to rely on the stadium replay selections.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.