At a time when we really need positive role models...there's Derek Jeter....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Mods feel free to move but thought with all the negative press right now about pro athletes we could pause a moment and recognize there are some who we can certainly appreciate for their contributions - not only to sports but to society, which is in dire need of positive role models.

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college
Manziel, Winston, Newton and whatever other inmature professional athletes that are such an embrassement to the society of sports in these days need to get their butts enrolled into "Respect 101" taught by the Captain (Jeter). He truly personifies the definition of a role model for our current generation and truly displays true respect for the game of baseball with the utmost integrity and diginity on display. He's truly one of the great ambassadors of all of sports.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Mods feel free to move but thought with all the negative press right now about pro athletes we could pause a moment and recognize there are some who we can certainly appreciate for their contributions - not only to sports but to society, which is in dire need of positive role models.

So the guy who sleeps with an endless amount of women and thanks them the next morning by sending them a gift basket with autographed baseballs is a positive role model. Got it.

If he played his entire career with the Padres, he wouldn't be getting this kind of send off.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
So the guy who sleeps with an endless amount of women and thanks them the next morning by sending them a gift basket with autographed baseballs is a positive role model. Got it.

If he played his entire career with the Padres, he wouldn't be getting this kind of send off.
I was about to post something similar. The bar for good role models in pro sports is awfully low.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Right....thanks for your input. :)

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Also which player would you say had a better career?

Player A: 560 doubles/377 home runs/1,518 RBI/.290 career average
Player B: 540 doubles/260 home runs/1,302 RBI/.309 career average

Player A got 15% of the HoF vote this year.
Player B will be a shoo-in unanimous choice.

Both were middle infielders.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Chipper Jones has better stats than Jeter. Doubt he's a shoo-in on his first vote. Daggum shame, too. Larry made me want to wear #10 when I played little league.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Player B also has 5 rings and has played with the same team for 20 years.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think the fact that people look to atheletes as a role model says a lot about society. Maybe kids should strive to be something a little more. Scientist, philanthropist, doctor, teacher, etc. You know someone who contributes a little more to society than playing shortstop and sleeping with Mariah Carey, Scarlett Johansson, and Jessica Alba .

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really dislike the Yankees, but like Jeter. Don't care about his sex life.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Player B also has 5 rings and has played with the same team for 20 years.
And if Jeter had played on the Padres, he wouldn't have.

Look he's good, and he's one of the top 15-20 guys to ever play the position, but longevity doesn't make you great, it just makes people sentimental.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And if Jeter had played on the Padres, he wouldn't have.

Look he's good, and he's one of the top 15-20 guys to ever play the position, but longevity doesn't make you great, it just makes people sentimental.
His impact on those teams and that franchise went well beyond his stats. Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story. Jeter was a very special player.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I always appreciated the way Jeter played the game. Something of a modern day Mr. Hustle and very professional. If that trait is what you are wanting mimicked I agree.

There is not a role model you can point to that has not had problems that take the shine off. I understand the fact that Jeter's are a big problem. They do and should put people off. That does not discount the positive traits.

As for the comparison between playing for teams that are not the Yankees. IMO the fact that he excelled in that spotlight instead of withering counts for something.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

that is your issue with him? lots of women? I remember hearing stories of a certain QB with that rep too. Plus he isn't married so what?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.