Remember when a coach yelled at players, not the refs? (Gus and the HUNH)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just in case we've ever doubted the key element to GM's style of the HUNH, all you've got to do is watch Gus yell at the refs and flail his arms in a circular motion to "hurry up."

His only hope is for the game to go faster than the refs (and defenses) can keep up. It is what it is, but I think the reason I hate it so much is that is munipulates the system (rules).

It's not cheating if the refs run around like his trained monkeys, but that is the point. All they have to do is go at a slower pace.

Now, it helps when a defense plays soundly and controls the LOS like KS did last night, but I just think it is funny that his MO is yelling for the refs to hurry rather than yelling at his players to play better.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just in case we've ever doubted the key element to GM's style of the HUNH, all you've got to do is watch Gus yell at the refs and flail his arms in a circular motion to "hurry up."

His only hope is for the game to go faster than the refs (and defenses) can keep up. It is what it is, but I think the reason I hate it so much is that is munipulates the system (rules).

It's not cheating if the refs run around like his trained monkeys, but that is the point. All they have to do is go at a slower pace.

Now, it helps when a defense plays soundly and controls the LOS like KS did last night, but I just think it is funny that his MO is yelling for the refs to hurry rather than yelling at his players to play better.
Yea I really thought the referees wouldn't let him do that this year. You don't see Chip Kelley doing that in the NFL. Gus really shows up the officials and they look even worse by allowing him to do this. Its one thing to "work" the officials - its another thing to try and use them to dictate the pace of game. Again though, the head referee should tell Gus that the officials will control the pace of game and that his behavior of trying to get the officials to go at his pace will not be tolerated..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
And is it any surprise that one of the barns team leaders was suspended for yelling at a coach? They should flag him for unsportsman like conduct and see how long he keeps doing it. It makes the refs look ridiculous.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I totally agree. It dummies down the game to where it is no longer a chess match, but a peewee league game. It is not what the game was meant to be. Unfortunately ESPN thinks it is good for ratings so it unlikley to change any time soon. The only way it will change will be when defenses catch up and figure it out. When that happens, and it will happen, what will Ole Gus do then? Can he really coach or is he a one trick pony?

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I thought in the SEC the coaches can submit questionable calls by the refs to the SEC office the next week. I wonder if you can only submit plays from the game your team is playing in? If the above is the case , would you not think there would be plays submitted with Illegal Motion calls not being flagged. Who knows I might be wrong about the whole submission of plays since the SEC officials can do no wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.