****Bama vs. UF Post-Game Thread****

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Heard that as well!

Great to hear, comin' form a guy who is reputed to have a not-small ego...

Also heard it said that Coach Kiffin said that when he came over to watch the team prior to the Sugar Bowl, after watching Blake, he said Bama can't win this guy...

Props Blake!!!

And props Coach Kiffin!!!
Gary Danielson said these things during the broadcast yesterday. I guess during his preparation for the game (Danielson is usually very well prepared) he had a conversation with Kiffin and Kiffin told him these things. I thought it was great that Kiffin was so open and honest and was glad that Danielson shared that during the game, especially with Blake blowing the doors off like he did yesterday.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This team is starting to win me over. I was concerned after the first couple of games that we might be in for a long year. We still have some things to correct that could get us beat, turnovers (obviously) and penalties but this team looked like a complete team yesterday for the first time all year. In spite of my concern I did feel like we were using the FAU and USM games as a glorified scrimmage to work on and correct some things for later down the road and I still feel like that was the case because what we saw yesterday looked very polished. In some ways that reminded me of the 1989 Ole Miss game where we fell behind early 21-0 due to turnovers but then came back to win 62-29. One of the differences is that Ole Miss team could not touch this 2014 UF team. I think the key going forward is consistency and not getting complacent. Last year we had some good moments but were not consistent and seemed to be just going through the motions at the end of the season. At the moment this team seems to be enjoying themselves and have rallied behind Sims. I think CNS allowing Kiffin to open up the offense is having a positive impact on the whole team, including the defense because the entire team looked like they were having a lot of fun. One other note, we are playing a lot of players and I think that is fantastic but I would like to see more of the backup OL start to get some PT.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A couple thoughts.

The first is that Alabama is primed for a run, but they're facing such a tough gauntlet! They need to stay healthy, and they can't afford bad breaks like they had in the Florida game, in upcoming games. So, it's one of those cautiously optimistic situations.

As far as Muschamp, this might be the beginning of the end for him. He has some tough upcoming games, and a performance like this is the type that a team doesn't always bounce back from.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A couple thoughts.

The first is that Alabama is primed for a run, but they're facing such a tough gauntlet! They need to stay healthy, and they can't afford bad breaks like they had in the Florida game, in upcoming games. So, it's one of those cautiously optimistic situations.

As far as Muschamp, this might be the beginning of the end for him. He has some tough upcoming games, and a performance like this is the type that a team doesn't always bounce back from.
Some good points KrAzY. We obviously set up Florida up for their scores and pretty much shut down their offense. There is however always a caveat; Florida has a lot of talent but simply is a middle of the pack SEC East team who will be hard pressed to win 8 games. No offense to our friend Bazza, but Driskel is simply not an SEC caliber QB. Yes, had we played mistake free yesterday it could have been much worse.

As for Muschamp, unless UF makes unbelievable improvement they will not beat UGA, USCe, LSU or FSU. They would have to win one of those games to finish 8-4. IMO Muschamp makes it to the end of the season and is let go.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Some good points KrAzY. We obviously set up Florida up for their scores and pretty much shut down their offense. There is however always a caveat; Florida has a lot of talent but simply is a middle of the pack SEC East team who will be hard pressed to win 8 games. No offense to our friend Bazza, but Driskel is simply not an SEC caliber QB. Yes, had we played mistake free yesterday it could have been much worse.

As for Muschamp, unless UF makes unbelievable improvement they will not beat UGA, USCe, LSU or FSU. They would have to win one of those games to finish 8-4. IMO Muschamp makes it to the end of the season and is let go.
i do not think uga, usce or lsu are much better (or any better for that matter) than fla. and they will have a shot at fsu

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

unless they play in a bowl game they will never finish 8-4. their Idaho game will not be rescheduled and they will only play 11 games this year

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

When Emmitt Smith starts saying they ought to change the QB, you can bet changing the coach is not far behind.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm cautiously optimistic about out pass D. We got a lot of pressure on the QB, but UF had receivers open all game. Any QB other then Driskel might have been about to make us pay.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When Emmitt Smith starts saying they ought to change the QB, you can bet changing the coach is not far behind.
If I'm a Florida fan, I tell Smith to go fly a kite. A former player stirring dissension is not what the team needs. If Sims were struggling, I don't want any of our former players calling for Coker to start.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Lane Kiffin then takes the job in Gainesville. You heard it here first.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm cautiously optimistic about out pass D. We got a lot of pressure on the QB, but UF had receivers open all game. Any QB other then Driskel might have been about to make us pay.
Agree and Kenny Hill will provide the sternest test of our secondary and pass rush this season. He is certainly no Jeff Driskel. As for Kiffin at Florida, with the right staff that could be scary.

As an after thought, it appears that the successful HCs are now coming from the offensive side rather than the defensive side as in the past.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A few comments:

1. My entire family was at the house for the game yesterday. I told my brother before the game I hoped we opened the game 5 wide with Drake and one of the TEs on the field to allow us to go hurry up. I thought I just had wishful thinking.

2. Never like seeing that many turnovers, but how many were preventable? Seemed like they were all well placed hits. I don't recall any of them being like what we saw last year with guys holding the ball like it was a loaf of bread.

3. The defense played very well. Stats only show 2 QB hurries, but Driskell was being hurried nonstop after the first quarter.

4. The bye week comes at an exceptional time. Blake gets to let his shoulder rest. Eddie gets to continue to heal. Other players like TJ, Henry, Jarrick, and DeAndrew get to heal their nicks and bruises.

5. This team continues to improve. I heard Dan Wolken of USA Today tell Finebaum two weeks ago he feels Saban knows this team needs to peak at the right time of the season. Sure looks that way by the continued improvement.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So any experts on the board want to address the run blocking? Sorry if this has already been discussed. Pass blocking has been incredible, but run blocking only so-so. Thoughts? Any way to improve it? Just the result of a young line?
I'm anything but an expert. I figure one big thing, though. UF is a very good defense, with an exceptional front 7.

Probably wouldn't have run so much early on in the game except to keep Florida honest. We see teams do it to us. They know they can't run or pass but have to do it in order to keep Bama's defense honest to allow the opposite (run or pass) have a chance to succeed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A few comments:

1. My entire family was at the house for the game yesterday. I told my brother before the game I hoped we opened the game 5 wide with Drake and one of the TEs on the field to allow us to go hurry up. I thought I just had wishful thinking.

2. Never like seeing that many turnovers, but how many were preventable? Seemed like they were all well placed hits. I don't recall any of them being like what we saw last year with guys holding the ball like it was a loaf of bread.

3. The defense played very well. Stats only show 2 QB hurries, but Driskell was being hurried nonstop after the first quarter.

4. The bye week comes at an exceptional time. Blake gets to let his shoulder rest. Eddie gets to continue to heal. Other players like TJ, Henry, Jarrick, and DeAndrew get to heal their nicks and bruises.

5. This team continues to improve. I heard Dan Wolken of USA Today tell Finebaum two weeks ago he feels Saban knows this team needs to peak at the right time of the season. Sure looks that way by the continued improvement.
See my thoughts in the thread about stripping the ball. They gave a lot of YAC by trying to tackle the ball...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i do not think uga, usce or lsu are much better (or any better for that matter) than fla. and they will have a shot at fsu
I agree. Normally I'd say Muschamp is done. He looks lost on that sideline most of the time. Reminds me very much of a former coach at Alabama. However, the East is so down at the moment, he may win 10 games just by making sure the team makes it to the stadium.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So any experts on the board want to address the run blocking? Sorry if this has already been discussed. Pass blocking has been incredible, but run blocking only so-so. Thoughts? Any way to improve it? Just the result of a young line?
i don't think that it was a big deal really. florida sold out to prevent the run, so we ran enough to wear them down and keep them honest while beating them with the pass. then in the 3d quarter we started running over them. muschamp didn't think blake could beat them with his arm and he was wrong.

at least that is how i saw it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.