Lane Kiffin as O-Coordinator - your opinion

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Lane Kiffen as O-Coordinator - your opinion

I think he'd be crazy to leave after one year. If he sticks around he's got a good shot at a Championship for at least the next 3 seasons (based on recruiting classes) and isn't USC still paying him?
I think having two (or three) national championships under his belt in two (or three) years will look really good on his resume when he finally decides to accept a position elsewhere. If Bama falls short this year and doesn't win a championship,* he will be more likely to stay and get the job done at Bama.

* By the way, ain't it great to be in a position in which "falling short" means not winning a championship?

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

If he matures in to a Head coach I think USC is going to regret what they did Fire him,I always said with probation he was doing a good job>

BamaRevT

1st Team
Apr 10, 2002
Fayetteville, Tn.

He's prolly going to win the "Assistant Of The Year" & I couldn't be any prouder for him..He's won this Bama Fan over & I'm thankful he's our OC & a member of the Crimson Tide Family..I hope he sticks around for a longggg time cause he's as good recruiting as we have on the staff(behind Coach Saban of course..LOL)..
Agreed Tideman09

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

I was worried but not anymore. I am excited about our offensive play calling.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think the chance to win national championship won't escape him.. If he can get two under his belt.. that will look good on him, and folks will say " He had two years under coach saban, and 90 percent he mellowed out and learned how to do things efficently." There is no doublt in my mind that he will be a great coach in years to come, just have to learn to deal with pressure that comes with the coach. Kiffin might even not want to be head coach again... I have a feeling he's going ot get a huge payday after this season. he's making what 800k and he can easily get 1 or 2 million dollar after this season.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL

As I've done with Blake Sims, I'll eat a big plate of crow with CLK and admit that the early returns are pretty spectacular. I was never a fan of the guy's playcalling previously - it always struck me as unimaginative and too "Shula-esque", but through four games he's been spot-on. I could nit-pick a few things...getting the plays signaled in very late in the play clock has been a persistent issue...but on the whole there's very little to complain about with the offense. Kudos to CLK so far.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Year
School
Yards
Plays
Yards per play
Alabama
USC (HC)
USC (HC)
USC (HC)
USC (HC)
Tennessee
USC (OC)
USC (OC)
THis is through the first 4 games of each season for Kiffin. Our offense this year is very similar to 2005 , which means..... Either we're just now hitting strides.... Kiffin could be the offensive coach of the year if he keeps up.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
One more article: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/alabamas_lane_kiffin_has_found.html

Let me say this.. He's real good with QBs... If i were him, I would stay with Alabama another year, show that HE can work wonders with Sims and then next year Coker... NFL will definitely come and call him... I think Many of us forget that Saban have asked Coaches to stay with program at minimum of 2 years and after that they can leave.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I’ve had to come to grips with Kiffen, and have just decided to evaluate him starting from the day he was hired by Bama – throw out everything prior. Using that method, it’s hard to argue with his performance to date. Play calling and execution (other than ball security) have been good.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kiffin is not the one who carries the ball. the ball security is on the players, not Kiffin.
I’ve had to come to grips with Kiffen, and have just decided to evaluate him starting from the day he was hired by Bama – throw out everything prior. Using that method, it’s hard to argue with his performance to date. Play calling and execution (other than ball security) have been good.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
In the Street Fighter video game tournament scene, there is a player named Daigo who is known for his "psychic dragon punch"
The dragon punch is a devastating counter to certain moves, but it leaves the player vulnerable if it fails, so it is risky. Someone overusing the dragon punch will get punished for it.
Daigo has so much experience playing at a high level that he gets a feel for certain opponents, and can predict what they are going to do, and instead of reacting to what he sees them doing, he anticipates it. He will unleash his dragon punch seemingly "out of nowhere" such that observers are dumbfounded, commenting "how could you possibly know that would work there?"

This is the kind of thing I like to see in our offensive playcalling, and so far, it has been very effective.
Spurrier seemed to have this ability at Florida.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
I'd love to see comparison of our red zone success this year compared to the last several years. We tend to find a way to get 6 instead of 3. I like what CLK said....something along the lines of "field goals are embarrassing.."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.