Lane Kiffin as O-Coordinator - your opinion

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Lane Kiffen as O-Coordinator - your opinion

It's impossible, and Kiffin knew it!
How far past that LB was Drake? 10 yds or more? Damn! I wish we had one more year of Blake. BTW, I know that Saban requires a two year commitment when assistants hire on. I don't know if that's in a written contract or not...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

How far past that LB was Drake? 10 yds or more? Damn! I wish we had one more year of Blake. BTW, I know that Saban requires a two year commitment when assistants hire on. I don't know if that's in a written contract or not...
I hope two years is in writing, but I suspect that, even if it is not, if I were CLK, I'd want to do at least two years to show that the results were not a one off. If he has two years with this level of success (assuming the next 11 look remotely like the first four), he will be a very valuable commodity. Is Sexton his agent? If I were Sexton, I'd feel CLK was in a much stronger position after two very successful years at Bama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

It was almost a replay of the Brodie to Prothro start....
Not sure about assistant commitments either. From what I've seen so far, I just hope Kiffin sticks around for awhile. He's really good as an OC.
The players, especially the QB's, seem to buy into him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I hope two years is in writing, but I suspect that, even if it is not, if I were CLK, I'd want to do at least two years to show that the results were not a one off. If he has two years with this level of success (assuming the next 11 look remotely like the first four), he will be a very valuable commodity. Is Sexton his agent? If I were Sexton, I'd feel CLK was in a much stronger position after two very successful years at Bama.
I just hope he's matured enough not to make another premature grab at the brass ring...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I just hope he's matured enough not to make another premature grab at the brass ring...
He's wanted it, "Too badly". Seriously, he took the head coaching job at a pathetic Oakland, a down trodden Tennessee, and a probation straddled USC.
I'll call it, "Youthful ambition combined with a total lack of common sense".
Hopefully, he'll be patient and wait for an opportunity that actually has more positive potential.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I hope you are right. I believe after a couple of years, some programs will be ready to give CLK a try. Two years of seasoning under Saban, plus, he had to know coming in that this might be the last best opportunity to overcome his checkered past, but that he had to produce. That is why I was happy with the hire. A slightly desperate man will push himself a little harder. Plus, he will learn form the Master a bit more of what it takes to be a head coach.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He's wanted it, "Too badly". Seriously, he took the head coaching job at a pathetic Oakland, a down trodden Tennessee, and a probation straddled USC.
I'll call it, "Youthful ambition combined with a total lack of common sense".
Hopefully, he'll be patient and wait for an opportunity that actually has more positive potential.
The Oakland job was a no win situation with having al Davis calling the shots. Al believed he new best and him and kiffin buck heads all the way but kiffin was way too brash at using the media for his opinions on Davis. Kiffin was right on Russell and maybe having his dad as his dc would've been better for him than having Ryan there even though Ryan is a bit more successful in modern day arguements but he shouldn't made it public. As for Tennessee, I really think he might of made them a respectable program but not a juggernaut type team if he didn't leave. USC is another no win situation with the sanctions that were there.

I'm glad he is our little "villain" now

SEC... Get off the Gus Bus and get on the Lane Train or else be ran over. rtr

Last edited:

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

Great job so far, without question. A plus on steroids.
Most total yardage, after four games, of any Bama team in history.
sip
Everyone that knows me as a Bama fan said that hiring Baby Kiff was a huge mistake. I said maybe, but look at his track record outside of being a Head Coach. It is stellar.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I still don't like Kiffin, but you can't question his talent. He is a very bright man.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I still don't like Kiffin, but you can't question his talent. He is a very bright man.
He's earning his way back into my good graces. Yesterday was one giant step.

My issues with him in the past were because he was sleazy. I haven't seen any of that since his hire here. It's important to me that Alabama remains a classy program regardless of what fans of other programs think. As long as CLK stays on CNS good side, I'm willing to give him a second chance.

CLK ate a really big piece of humble pie last year. I've had some of that same pie and it can adjust your attitude for the better if you let it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

As an OC, Kiffin is showing he's as good as I (and others) argued he was ever since he was hired. The numbers we're seeing are sick.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

And for the record, his name is KIFFIN. K-I-F-F-I-N.

I swear, from now on I'm deleting posts where people don't even spell our coaches names' correctly.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Perhaps he would do well to look over at CKS as an example to emulate insofar as patience and preparation for his next career move(?). Is it true that wisdom comes with age?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

BTW, I know that Saban requires a two year commitment when assistants hire on. I don't know if that's in a written contract or not...
I think Kiffin had a written contract when he left Tennessee after one year. I'd like to think he has matured to the point that he can honor a two year agreement, whether it's verbal or written, but in coaching circles contracts don't seem to carry much weight.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I think CLK probably gets a serious look at another NFL HC gig before he gets a blue-chip college opportunity.

He has a number of factors working in his favor. I think his Raiders gig is probably viewed in the perspective of their dumpster fire dysfunction during that time than as a truly fair shot. I think teams would probably look at the success of other West Coast college guys like Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly, and Jim Harbaugh and think that CLK might be able to replicate some of their fresh-idea success. His offense translates very well to NFL today and where it's headed. And he's probably easier to pry away than many top shelf college head coaches that might be attractive right now.

I think there's enough fresh lingering baggage from the Tennessee exit and the USCw tenure to give a lot of college presidents and AD pause (at least until he becomes more tenured as an Alabama/Saban guy for a least a couple years), but I'm not sure NFL owners and GM will feel the same way.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

kiffin has been great, but i think he will use this as a stepping stone and will be gone next year.
I think he'd be crazy to leave after one year. If he sticks around he's got a good shot at a Championship for at least the next 3 seasons (based on recruiting classes) and isn't USC still paying him?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.