Defensive Front

T Town Tank

1st Team
Sep 26, 2000
Northport, AL USA
We are getting the best pass rush I've seen Bama have in a very long time. We have so many talented young studs on the defensive side that when they get more experience they should be scary good. I love it.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I was talking about that yesterday during the game. We may not have piled up the sack count but we affected a lot of passes just by getting back to the qb. This group has the ability to be scary good.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
seems like they coaches switched some stuff up re: positions yesterday. We are so deep and versatile. Plug and play!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
It seems like a different guy is the star of the D-line every week. It's awesome to have so many talented guys, and so many of them are young. This group doesn't get worn down, and just keeps coming at the QB.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I thought J Reed really had a good game. I think there was some shuffling with him and Ashawn Robinson
Reed played a very good game. I thought coming into the season he might be that missing ingredient that could make a big difference in our defense this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The most amazing thing about this is that it comes when other teams are clearly game planning to have the ball out of the hands of their QB within 3 seconds of the snap.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I agree about the DL. I love how they pursue to the ball and their motors never stop.

Is anyone else noticing that our LB's seem to be a step slow to fill the gap/hole? Both Ragland and Priest are beasts and hit with ferocity, but they just appear to not the flow of a play and meet the runner in the hole.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I agree about the DL. I love how they pursue to the ball and their motors never stop.

Is anyone else noticing that our LB's seem to be a step slow to fill the gap/hole? Both Ragland and Priest are beasts and hit with ferocity, but they just appear to not the flow of a play and meet the runner in the hole.
Probably because we played 2 LBs at times

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They're playing the way they're taught. They have to take a second to assess whether it's really a run or a play-action pass, in which case their assignment changes. They can't just blindly to the hole on every play...

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I believe this is the biggest strongest group of def linemen I have seen at bama. I am including the whole group. they may not sack the qb a lot but, they are affecting the qbs vision, pass. when reed came in he is a step quicker than the others. these guys are so big. the linebackers are still learning their positions, except depriest. the secondary was the beneficiary of the pressure applied on the qb this week. still a big weak part of the defense, except for Collins, and brown will get better with play.

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I believe this is the biggest strongest group of def linemen I have seen at bama. I am including the whole group. they may not sack the qb a lot but, they are affecting the qbs vision, pass. when reed came in he is a step quicker than the others. these guys are so big. the linebackers are still learning their positions, except depriest. the secondary was the beneficiary of the pressure applied on the qb this week. still a big weak part of the defense, except for Collins, and brown will get better with play.
I do not believe that this is the biggest or strongest d line we have had. Cody, Chapman, etc were bigger and stronger. Yet times have changed... We need quicker more athletic lineman in the age of no huddle. I believe this is the most athletic line I've seen in the Saban era. The 92 was the best line I think I have ever seen in person. They were freaks of nature big, strong, and athletic.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Yep, good showing. Haven't seen much mention of his performance, but Pettway shot through gaps impressively a few times yesterday too (unless I was seeing the jersey number wrong).

That said, the front and the occasional well-timed DB blitz might have to be how we generate pressure. LB blitzes have been coming to slow (opponents will always make sure to gameplan around deep drops and hanging in the pocket against us) and leave too many vulnerabilities as a result.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
The thing I like is the defense is getting better every game, and the dline is part of that. They are improving at the right time for the meat of the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.