Is Henry our best back. ?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I may be in the minority but I wish we would start to teach our players that once they are being tackled to just secure the ball and go down. The Drake and White fumble there was really no more yards to be gained. I know its probably just their instinct to fight for extra yards but sometimes it's good to just go down. Every team remaining on our schedule will be trying harder to cause fumbles now as it appears we are fumble prone..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sure the % of fumbles relative to carries is much higher with Drake. But TJ has had his share of fumbling problems in big moments as well. It was just one year ago that we were talking about his fumbling problem. Drake is a game changer and much more explosive than any back we have. To pull him after ONE fumble is a bit extreme, IMO.
Watching the game again. Drake was put back into the game early in the second quarter. Drake promptly ran into Sims and messed up the timing of a play which resulted in a fumble by Sims. Not entirely Drake's fault, but he didn't see the field again until late in the 4th quarter.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'm sure the reason Drake was benched due to the fumble is because of his past fumbles. White doesnt have the same bad fumble ratio. On top of that it was of the stripped variety. As far as our best back goes all 3 of our guys have strengths but each have one thing they could do a little better. I think based on that, is why you have them in the order you have them.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
This quote from Saban's high school football coach probably has something to do with how KD:

"It really doesn't make any difference what play you call sometimes. It's what players you have doing it.
Thanks to bigjue24 for posting an article with this quote.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm sure the % of fumbles relative to carries is much higher with Drake. But TJ has had his share of fumbling problems in big moments as well. It was just one year ago that we were talking about his fumbling problem. Drake is a game changer and much more explosive than any back we have. To pull him after ONE fumble is a bit extreme, IMO.
iirc, drake was back in on the zone read play where blake fumbled

tidefanatic

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2004
IMO Henry,Yeldon & Drake basically are equally valuable to what CLK is trying to accomplish with the offense.But me personally would really like to see Tyren Jones incorporated as well to add even another dimension.

Watching the game again. Drake was put back into the game early in the second quarter. Drake promptly ran into Sims and messed up the timing of a play which resulted in a fumble by Sims. Not entirely Drake's fault, but he didn't see the field again until late in the 4th quarter.
So that's what happened. I was in the bathroom so I didn't get to see it.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Does Henry's running style remind anyone else of Shaun Alexander? They both seem to be able to shift their lower body to avoid tacklers and both have/had a great stiff arm. Here's a little reminder of how Shaun Alexander ran, enjoy.

[video]youtube shaun alexander at alabama[/video]

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
IMO Henry,Yeldon & Drake basically are equally valuable to what CLK is trying to accomplish with the offense.But me personally would really like to see Tyren Jones incorporated as well to add even another dimension.
There's only one football. They are having a hard enough time to spread it around now as it is. Tyren Jones and Tenpenny will get their chance next year..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Eh, Drake really didn't cause that. Leon Brown got smoked by a UF D-lineman, and he disrupted the play from the get go.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Here's my assessment of the difference between Yeldon and Henry. When Yeldon hesitates, the defense attacks. When Henry hesitates, the defense hesitates with him. Defenders just defer to him, they wait on him to make the first move. It's an amazing ability. He had 111 yards rushing yesterday but he didn't start touching the ball consistently til the late third. If we could get him goin early...man, he could do some damage. He was approaching unstoppable late against Florida.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eh, Drake really didn't cause that. Leon Brown got smoked by a UF D-lineman, and he disrupted the play from the get go.
I watched it a few times, and there was plenty of blame to go around. Yes, Brown got beat badly at the snap. Drake ran in front of Sims on a read option play. He rubbed Sims as he went by, and seemed to try to take the ball from Sims when Sims clearly was trying to pull the ball and keep it. The hard rub and pull on the ball disrupted the flow of the play. Sims' motion was completely stopped - he was flat-footed. Sims really had no chance to avoid the hit that caused the fumble (though he could have secured the ball better).

But my point was that Drake did come back in the game early in the second quarter. He was given a second chance by Saban. On his first play back in the game, the fumble happened. At full speed, it looked like Drake was more responsible than he really was. It probably looked even worse from the sideline.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's my assessment of the difference between Yeldon and Henry. When Yeldon hesitates, the defense attacks. When Henry hesitates, the defense hesitates with him. Defenders just defer to him, they wait on him to make the first move. It's an amazing ability. He had 111 yards rushing yesterday but he didn't start touching the ball consistently til the late third. If we could get him goin early...man, he could do some damage. He was approaching unstoppable late against Florida.
Thanks - I'll have to watch for that as I haven't noticed.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We have three all-Americans running the ball, sharing the carries....having Henry as a 3rd quarter weapon is huge
Wear em down in the first half then pound em silly with Henry. Sounds like a pretty simple recipe for success, cause when they commit enough people to stop our running game, Blake can hurt them with a pass...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Seems like we had this same convo when both Ingram and Trent were playing ... all of our backs are solid talents that bring different styles to the table, which is a plus for us. If I had to say one, I would give the nod to Fowler being our best back. I'm just glad they all play for the good guys.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As crowded as our backfield is with stud RB's..I wouldn't mind seeing Drake move to maybe a slot WR spot, with his speed & his good hands catching the ball, I think moving Drake to slot WR spot would give us an even more explosive offense..Using Drake like that would give DC's heartburn to prepare for..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
As crowded as our backfield is with stud RB's..I wouldn't mind seeing Drake move to maybe a slot WR spot, with his speed & his good hands catching the ball, I think moving Drake to slot WR spot would give us an even more explosive offense..Using Drake like that would give DC's heartburn to prepare for..
We can do that without officially moving Drake to WR. In fact, if you do that, you lose the mismatch ability because take another receiver off the field. At that point, you have ask yourself if you think Drake is a better pure receiver than White, Black, Jones, etc. I'm guessing not. Lining Drake up wide as a RB is what made that play happen Sat. Wheel routes coming out of backfield are almost always going to be a matchup problem for the defense. I think we need to use Drake exactly as we are using him, just more frequently, if he can hold onto to the dadgum ball! -lol

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
IMHO, I think Henry is great, but I absolutely love what Kenyan Drake does when he goes out on the field.

Yeldon is great too, but we haven't seen that much of him this season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.