Is Henry our best back. ?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I would agree that Henry is perhaps the most talented back we have (at least among those who've gotten significant work), but I think at least SOME of the perception of that is a function of our offense and the way it is run.

I've almost always thought our #2 RB always looked best, going back to Coffee/Ingram, Ingram/Richardson, Richardson/Lacy, Lacy/Yeldon, etc. And it at least some of that is due to the way we use them.

The #1 back seems to often get the toughest carries, early in a game/series against fresher defensive legs and sees more stacked boxes when the games scores are tight. The #2 guy gets more work with a more tired/stretched defense and often when opponents get down a little in the score and have to gamble more. Also, the #1 guy is always older and has taken more hits and maybe hesitates a bit more.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It is hard to say because they all seem to have their own skill sets, but we have several who will play on Sundays. All of these guys are great. Our only problem is that we only have one football to give on each play. Who gets it? Cooper? White? Yeldon? Drake? Henry? The list goes on.

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They are all good but I prefer Drake because of his speed. He just fumbles to much to get consistent PT. It looked like he was the starter today as he was the #1 back on the next drive after he caught that 87 yard bomb. Until he fumbled..
I agree with this...has to learn how to hold on to the ball.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I would agree that Henry is perhaps the most talented back we have (at least among those who've gotten significant work), but I think at least SOME of the perception of that is a function of our offense and the way it is run.

I've almost always thought our #2 RB always looked best, going back to Coffee/Ingram, Ingram/Richardson, Richardson/Lacy, Lacy/Yeldon, etc. And it at least some of that is due to the way we use them.

The #1 back seems to often get the toughest carries, early in a game/series against fresher defensive legs and sees more stacked boxes when the games scores are tight. The #2 guy gets more work with a more tired/stretched defense and often when opponents get down a little in the score and have to gamble more. Also, the #1 guy is always older and has taken more hits and maybe hesitates a bit more.
I agree that the number two back almost always looks better due to the aforementioned reason. But if number one is obviously struggling (even when it's the OL's fault), to the point that it's almost pointless to run the ball with him (as I felt about Yeldon against Florida Saturday), I'd like to see number two (Henry) get a shot earlier. Just to see what he can do. Often when a back doesn't have success early on (like Yeldon Saturday), he doesn't run with confidence and he becomes easy prey. Whereas the other guy is out there dying to get on the field, I say try him. Felt the same way against Auburn last year. It's not Yeldon's fault when the OL isn't creating holes, but I still think a fresh guy can make a world of difference. Plus it allows number one to recover from the lack of success until he's the one who can't wait to get back out there.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
It is obvious that you can't cover cooper man to man. It is impossible. That being said, there goes one guy out of the box and frees up the run game. We have to be patient with the run because in the 4th qtr. uf had no one that really wanted any of 27. They were TIRED

JeremyS4Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 22, 2011
Alexander City, AL
All of our backs are benefitted by us having a great full back! Fowler is solid in all phases of the game especially in pass catching! So proud of his comeback and performance on the field!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think the OL is blocking better for one than another, so this is what the stats tell us thus far:

TJ Yeldon: 57 att, 284 yds, 5.0 avg, 2TDs; 1 rec, 37 yds, 18.7 avg, 0TD
Derrick Henry: 53 att, 320 yds, 6.0 avg, 2TDs; 1 rec, 29, 29.0 avg 0TD
Kenyan Drake: 22 att, 112 yds, 5.1 avg, 4 TDs; 4 rec, 149 yds, 37.3 avg, 2TDs

If scoring is your thing, Drake is the man - he has 1.5x as many TDs as Yeldon and Henry have combined!

In other words, we have three absolutely sick backs - they each have strengths that differ. Any one would start at probably any other team in the country - an embarrassment of riches. Just enjoy them while we have them...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Awesome..Thanks for providing those stats cause it's proof positive as to who's got the best stable of RB's in college football & it not even close..Especially when you factor in our RB's that hardy plays..Tyren Jones, Altee Tenpenny who's both would be every bit as productive of those in front of them..There's just not enough time in a game that allows for all of them to get enough carries to show off how good they are as well..I would say Tyren & Altee both are every bit as good as any other RB in college football & could carry our offense on their shoulders as well should they get called to do so..That's not even considering Bo Scarbough who may be better than all of them once he's able to finally make it to campus next year..I can't wait to see how good Bo is next year cause many folks & experts have said Bo is as good, if not better, of a pure athlete than the RB's at Bama right now..That's a scary thought for the rest of college football to ponder on until Bo finally makes it to Bama next year..
I don't think the OL is blocking better for one than another, so this is what the stats tell us thus far:

If scoring is your thing, Drake is the man - he has 1.5x as many TDs as Yeldon and Henry have combined!

In other words, we have three absolutely sick backs - they each have strengths that differ. Any one would start at probably any other team in the country - an embarrassment of riches. Just enjoy them while we have them...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saban has proven he'll play a bunch of them. That helps with recruiting, once they understand that getting to the next level is helped by not burning them out in college...

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
actually, we have 3 excellent rbs. I like what lane is doing with drake. drake has a gear the other two don't. as far as the fumbling last game. the replays showed cooper was trying to make a block beside drake, and he actually was the one causing the fumble. of course not on purpose, but, the angle was behind and to the side, and drake did not even see him there. henry is a horse, but, he was a powerhouse outside the tackles where he got better blocking, on the corners, and safties. no way to bring down the big man outside. he got few yards inside the tackles. and that is where yeldon is having a tough time. probably because fla was bunching inside to prevent the run inside the tackles. at least I hope that is the case. I am not sure yet how good our inside the tackle blocking is. we will need that missing piece to this off machine that lane has created, utilizing the most talent he has had access since the title days with usc as off coord.

Say the stats earlier this morning and couldn't believe that Derrick was leading in rushing. TJ has been nicked up a little bit. Either way though we have a great stable of backs. Just gotta get Drake's fumbles to 0!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think a lot of Henry's yards today came on a tired Gator D. With that being said, I think he is the most powerful back we have. Drake is the fastest and TJ is a little of both. JMHO.
I also think they each have a different skill set, and they can all play on Sundays. Most importantly, however, they can all help us win right now. They are all dangerous weapons, but I do like it when Henry starts hammering away in the third and fourth quarters. I love Yeldon and Drake on screens and in space. It is truly a pick your poison situation. Oh, have I mentioned Jones and Tenpenny could play a lot for most teams and will soon get their chances?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Awesome..Thanks for providing those stats cause it's proof positive as to who's got the best stable of RB's in college football & it not even close..Especially when you factor in our RB's that hardy plays..Tyren Jones, Altee Tenpenny who's both would be every bit as productive of those in front of them..There's just not enough time in a game that allows for all of them to get enough carries to show off how good they are as well..I would say Tyren & Altee both are every bit as good as any other RB in college football & could carry our offense on their shoulders as well should they get called to do so..That's not even considering Bo Scarbough who may be better than all of them once he's able to finally make it to campus next year..I can't wait to see how good Bo is next year cause many folks & experts have said Bo is as good, if not better, of a pure athlete than the RB's at Bama right now..That's a scary thought for the rest of college football to ponder on until Bo finally makes it to Bama next year..
While I will definitely agree with you, I would say that Georgia is close to us, and Arkansas isn't too shabby either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.