UF's continuing efforts at stripping the ball...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I understand that it yielded them a couple of scores. However, it was my impression that they missed a bunch of tackles in the 2nd half, while trying for the strip. I haven't rewatched the game though. I'm curious as to whether anybody else saw that...
I think they did get too focused on striping plus being tired. It was becoming obvious without turnovers they weren't in the game at all.

I was out of the room when Drakes fumbled so I didn't see it but the White and Sims fumbles was poor ball security. I remember Coach Bryant on his show would point out when a player was carrying the football like a "loaf of bread". That's pretty much what White and Sims were doing and is why CNS was chewing Blake out on the sideline.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw it as well. It seems to me that the correct technique is to first make sure of the tackle. If a second defender can get there before the ball carrier goes down, and the first guy has a good hold of the ball carrier, it is acceptable to try and strip the ball. But first things first.

Plus, with Drake's fumble, I think the scouting leads defenders to try especially hard to strip the ball. Fumblitis is unfortunately his perceived weakness, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I wish for his sake that he would learn, once he feels himself in traffic, to run like Larry Csonka, with both hands on the ball. We didn't need the extra yard he might have gained by continuing to struggle, but Florida desperately needed him to fumble.
Pcola above is correct. He was stood up, stopped, but still trying to make an extra yard when the defender planted his helmet square on the ball. Then he was heady enough to reach back and grab Drake's arm to prevent his trying to recover. I don't like trying to get that extra yard when you're vulnerable to fumbling just like I didn't like BS' refusal to slide when he hurt his shoulder...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think they did get too focused on striping plus being tired. It was becoming obvious without turnovers they weren't in the game at all.

I was out of the room when Drakes fumbled so I didn't see it but the White and Sims fumbles was poor ball security. I remember Coach Bryant on his show would point out when a player was carrying the football like a "loaf of bread". That's pretty much what White and Sims were doing and is why CNS was chewing Blake out on the sideline.
Not the case with Drake. He was stood up and the tackler put the helmet crest square on the ball. Anyone would have fumbled. The answer is to go down before you get pinned upright like that. Of course, an official could - and should - have blown the play dead...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Not the case with Drake. He was stood up and the tackler put the helmet crest square on the ball. Anyone would have fumbled. The answer is to go down before you get pinned upright like that. Of course, an official could - and should - have blown the play dead...
I was screaming at the officials to blow the whistle. Forward progress was more than stopped and the play was over.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was screaming at the officials to blow the whistle. Forward progress was more than stopped and the play was over.
Not the only lousy performance by that Godforsaken crew. I could go the rest of my life happy to never see Ritter or Wagers wearing stripes with "U" on it. That said that sideline judge was the worst problem yesterday. He not only caused Drake's fumble, he ignored a horse collar which happened 3' in front of him...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.