UF's continuing efforts at stripping the ball...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand that it yielded them a couple of scores. However, it was my impression that they missed a bunch of tackles in the 2nd half, while trying for the strip. I haven't rewatched the game though. I'm curious as to whether anybody else saw that...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I understand that it yielded them a couple of scores. However, it was my impression that they missed a bunch of tackles in the 2nd half, while trying for the strip. I haven't rewatched the game though. I'm curious as to whether anybody else saw that...
I didn't really notice. When i rewatched you could tell UF was worn down, I think that was the cause for at least a portion of the sloppy tackles. Time of possession was 2:1. I'm pretty sure the second half was worse than that, but i can't find that split.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
They did give up of a lot of yards after contact by trying to strip the ball rather that wrapping up for the tackle. We were taught to focus on making the tackle if you were the first one to get to the ball carrier when I played. We did drills to strip the ball when you were 2nd or 3rd man there in a gang tackle.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't really notice. When i rewatched you could tell UF was worn down, I think that was the cause for at least a portion of the sloppy tackles. Time of possession was 2:1. I'm pretty sure the second half was worse than that, but i can't find that split.
I look forward to re-watching the game. The strip is a high risk/reward move, but, yeah, I noticed their fatigue, particularly in the fourth quarter...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I posted in the game thread that their secondary was more focused on trying to strip the ball than on making solid tackles. Against a lesser offense that might be a solid strategy given their success thus far this season. Against a team like Alabama, it is a double edged sword that will certainly hurt as much as it helps. Their effort at stripping the ball produced 14 points. Their poor tackling cost them a whole lot more than 14 points. But they knew that they were out-gunned and had to try something. It kept them in the game until the 4th qtr.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
The gators will try to strip the ball,your helmet,your eyeballs,and God knows what else. They play a dirty brand of football.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I don't watch Florida enough to know if this is a standard practice for them or not; but, given Yeldon and Drake's history with coughing up the ball in crucial situations, it's not a bad tactic against us. However, with our skill players, you had better make sure you can tackle them if you can't strip the ball away. Our guys will make you pay dearly. And they did. It's a risky tactic either way.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Florida has gotten little offensive production under Muschamp and their defense has learned that if they want to win, they have to create turnovers and big plays. I feel like Bama's defense is focused on limiting big plays, where Florida's defense is focused on creating them. Whether Muschamp intends this or not, I don't know. But the reason they won 11 games in 2012 was because of big plays on defense and special teams. They have to take risks just to stay in the game, and had they played more disciplined against us the score wouldn't have been as close IMO.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw it as well. It seems to me that the correct technique is to first make sure of the tackle. If a second defender can get there before the ball carrier goes down, and the first guy has a good hold of the ball carrier, it is acceptable to try and strip the ball. But first things first.

Plus, with Drake's fumble, I think the scouting leads defenders to try especially hard to strip the ball. Fumblitis is unfortunately his perceived weakness, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I wish for his sake that he would learn, once he feels himself in traffic, to run like Larry Csonka, with both hands on the ball. We didn't need the extra yard he might have gained by continuing to struggle, but Florida desperately needed him to fumble.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Perception was reality with those guys. The DBs were working our guys over on just about every tackle. Go back and look, you'll see it consistently, plus some other dirty stuff in the scrums.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
They were obviously fatigued by the end of our long drive in the 3rd quarter. We kept running in the 1st half and I wondered why. By the end of the 3rd Q it was obvious that we had worn them down. I guess CNS was right again....:)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
They were doing it the entire game and their tackling suffered because of it.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Had to be their game plan, as they didn't have much of a game plan.

You know API watched that closely. Get ready for it..................

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Everyone at my house was upset at how the officials took their sweet time to blow the play dead. Seemed like they only said forward momentum had stopped after 8 defenders showed up. Surprised we didn't have more fumbles with Florida's obvious attempts to strip the ball away.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Sometimes wish our guys would secure the ball and go down instead of fighting for extra yards when its clear the play has been bottled up. I know its instincts of the players that keep them fighting for yards but all other teams will be looking to do the same thing to us..

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree with the above post. If the guys would have gotten down we would not have seen a couple of the fumbles. Having said that the officials should not let the play continue if all that is going on is defenders trying to hold a runner up while others rip at the ball. Of course the officiating in that game yesterday was great so I have no idea why they let this go on all day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.