JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Florida wrap-up: Tide’s growth, gameplan reason for success
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 21st, 2014 02:29 PM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 21, 2014 The last time Alabama fans witnessed something so dumbfounding inside the confines of Bryant-Denny Stadium, Josh Reed was involved and Nick Saban was wearing LSU colors. That day – Nov. 3, 2001 to be exact – saw Reed catch 19 passes for 293 yards, and LSU […]

Read More Here

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Nailed it, Jess. One comment I had on one of your points, that this offense isn't the best one for Jeff Driskel. You are the first I've heard say that. The general consensus that I've heard from people was that Driskel was recruited by Meyer for his spread offense, and that by switching to the spread, it would take advantage of his talents. Is Florida simply not running the type of spread that suits Driskel, or does he just not have the talent to run the spread? I remember him being a highly touted recruit coming out of high school, so I'm curious how you see it.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
Florida is what I felt like they were. A talented defensive team with little offensive help. The head coach is not very disciplined and neither is the team. Kiffin set up UF with play calling in the previous games. Florida went all out to stop the run and the screen because like many around the country and in the state led to believe that Blake could not go deep. That is great coaching.

Florida's defense is what most believed before this game. They just don't get any help. We will be fine against lesser defensive squads as long as we don't have play calling like the 2nd half of the '10 and '13 iron bowls. Coaching played a big role in both losses imho.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Nailed it, Jess. One comment I had on one of your points, that this offense isn't the best one for Jeff Driskel. You are the first I've heard say that. The general consensus that I've heard from people was that Driskel was recruited by Meyer for his spread offense, and that by switching to the spread, it would take advantage of his talents. Is Florida simply not running the type of spread that suits Driskel, or does he just not have the talent to run the spread? I remember him being a highly touted recruit coming out of high school, so I'm curious how you see it.
There seem to be a lot teams recruiting guys to run spread attacks and being a bit optimistic about their abilities running the football. Bo Wallace, for instance. If you want the QB to be a running threat in this conference, he's got to be able to change directions laterally much quicker than Driskel has shown the ability to do. He just doesn't have enough explosiveness for what they want to do.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Thanks. Can't disagree. He does have good straight line speed, as evidenced by his TD run, but he doesn't have great change of direction. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I remember that LSu game where Reed went off. It was close, but I knew we were toast. Same thing yesterday. Even when it was tied in the second half I knew we'd win unless slot of unusual things happened. We should have won by 6-7 TDs.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
What I remember about that 2001 LSU game (besides how loud the LSU band and their fans were, is that LSU fumbled the kick off ( I believe it was after we scored to make it 28-21) and Bama recovered it, but the refs blew it and gave the ball to LSU!

All in all, a miserable night.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Florida is what I felt like they were. A talented defensive team with little offensive help. The head coach is not very disciplined and neither is the team. Kiffin set up UF with play calling in the previous games. Florida went all out to stop the run and the screen because like many around the country and in the state led to believe that Blake could not go deep. That is great coaching.

Florida's defense is what most believed before this game. They just don't get any help. We will be fine against lesser defensive squads as long as we don't have play calling like the 2nd half of the '10 and '13 iron bowls. Coaching played a big role in both losses imho.

I agree completely. The media spun it like "Blake can't always win with just those screen passes." And.... Kiffin was probably just sitting back smirking.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
After the first play bomb to Drake I realized two things. We have an OC that really (I mean REALLY) knows what he's doing and we have an extremely explosive and talented offense. Combine those two things and we are going to put up a lot of points.

I also realized pretty quick that no matter what offense Florida runs, as long as Jeff Driskell is quarterback they aren't going to be much of a threat. He's not as good as he's been advertised.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
As good as our last few years have been, how many of our teams 2009-2013 could have overcome 4 turnovers against this UF team and still put up 42 points?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Kiffin not only made some good calls, he also moved people around to create mismatches with their defense. This is the most talented offensive team I've ever seen at Bama. And we now have an OC who knows how to make best use of that talent. It's going to be fun to see what happens as the season progresses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.