Amari Cooper's Interference Penalty

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Someone help me out. Just watching the replay, and on the play they called interference on Amari Cooper, it looked like he ran up the field, did make some contact, then turned toward the middle of the field. I was watching and the ball had not been thrown yet when the contact was made. If the ball is not in the air yet, is that still offensive interference. Just curious. Krymsonman

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He was probably fine until he extended his arms. I thought it was a ticky tack call also but once he extended his arms he invited the referee to call the OPI...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't think you can push off past 5 yards -- though like speeding, the refs may not call it up to 10 -- depends on the situation I think. He did push off though. It was a legit penalty as you can tell Amari didn't even flop on the call.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Going on memory here, but I have to believe that the ball was in the air or was very close (close enough for the call to be made anyway). When Cooper extended his arms and there was separation, that brought the flag. When I saw the replay while watching the game, I didn't have a problem with the call.

You may be right that the ball wasn't really in the air yet -- I do not know. And if you are correct then I don't know what that does to the call technically. I know that the defense isn't supposed to contact the WR more than 5 yards from the LOS. I don't know if the receiver is under the same restriction. If so, that would be enough for the call.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I can see why they called it because even though I don't think the 'push off' was really hard...there was SO MUCH separation caused that it looked worse.

Coop is a Nightmare for DB's and DC's right now!! Honestly the only thing that can stop him is Refs trying level the playing field by helping the DB's out with flags on ANY close hand fighting. The opposing coaches are going to be in the Refs ears trying to get calls too.

But straight up letting guys play...Coop is UNSTOPPABLE right now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Amari did push off. I didn't even yell at the official about that one.
He did, but that's not the point. He was free to push off, as the defender was, until the ball leaves the hand of the QB.That's a judgment call and I don't think the back judge or the sideline judge is in a position to make that call. (I'm not sure of which called it, but we had no friends on that crew.)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He did, but that's not the point. He was free to push off, as the defender was, until the ball leaves the hand of the QB.That's a judgment call and I don't think the back judge or the sideline judge is in a position to make that call. (I'm not sure of which called it, but we had no friends on that crew.)
The official "behind" the play threw the flag. The official looking right at it, signaled touchdown.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The official "behind" the play threw the flag. The official looking right at it, signaled touchdown.
That's logical. An official behind the play would have a better view of when the ball left the hand of the QB and if a push did occur, if it occurred during the prohibited period. It's hard keeping the rules straight between pro and NCAA. Every year, there's a play some of our fans will gripe when a receiver only has one foot in bounds, because they're accustomed to the pro rule of both feet in...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was upset about the penalty because there are guys like Mike Evans piggy-backing DBs with no flags. Coop did push off, but it was a ricky-tack call compared to what some WRs get away with.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That's logical. An official behind the play would have a better view of when the ball left the hand of the QB and if a push did occur, if it occurred during the prohibited period. It's hard keeping the rules straight between pro and NCAA. Every year, there's a play some of our fans will gripe when a receiver only has one foot in bounds, because they're accustomed to the pro rule of both feet in...
I'm just glad it didn't make a deciding difference in the game. It could have been a critical call had we not taken charge late.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It's a shame because that was a beautiful play, slipped around the defense like silk. Just another highlight play from Amari. He made special plays all over the field. I have a feeling NFL scouts were salivating as they watched that game. Not just for Coop.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Can you imagine if the SEC refs allowed him the 'Riley Cooper Treatment' that FLA and Tebow benefited from??

I don't know what the single season NCAA record is for Receiving yards but I'm 100% sure Coop would break it under those circumstances. He'd be WIDE OPEN every play...lol

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that it is a bit ticky-tacky to expect a non-call on an obvious offensive push off by a wide receiver from fans of a team that plays great defense. You want those calls to be made. The offense has too many advantages as it is without receivers being allowed to push off to create space when they know the ball is coming to them (whether the ball has been released yet or not).

Yeah, I know the rule, but since when do we support the letter of the rule/law over common sense?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.