Amari Cooper's Interference Penalty

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Thanks for the opinions folks. I guess, a little later, Amari, just said I'm the best when he went up and just took the ball right over Hargreaves. I think Hargreaves is pretty dang good, but Amari was better on that one. And on Amari's last TD, whoever that DB was is still looking for his jock. That one was silly easy. Thanks again for the opinions. Krymsonman

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
B1GTide I get where you are coming from but I guess my stance is Refs either need to call everything to the letter or 'Let em play' within reason. It seems Refs are so inconsistent with calls to purposely affect momentum and outcomes.

There was a phantom face mask call on our defense, a no call when one of our players was horse collared, another phantom flag for an ineligible WR stepping out of bounds when he was pushed out and then that 'push off' on Coop.

To be fair we had plenty of legit pre snap penalties but to me it's like they were determined to give preferential calls to FLA to keep the game competitive.

It did look like a bad push off but I've watched it several times and you see that same type of play across the NFL and CFB never called and Riley Cooper got away with it all the time.

Edit: Jordan Shipley did it all the time too at Texas.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
B1GTide I get where you are coming from but I guess my stance is Refs either need to call everything to the letter or 'Let em play' within reason. It seems Refs are so inconsistent with calls to purposely affect momentum and outcomes.

There was a phantom face mask call on our defense, a no call when one of our players was horse collared, another phantom flag for an ineligible WR stepping out of bounds when he was pushed out and then that 'push off' on Coop.

To be fair we had plenty of legit pre snap penalties but to me it's like they were determined to give preferential calls to FLA to keep the game competitive.

It did look like a bad push off but I've watched it several times and you see that same type of play across the NFL and CFB never called and Riley Cooper got away with it all the time.

Edit: Jordan Shipley did it all the time too at Texas.
Of all the calls and no calls that happened in the game. This was one I had the least problem with. IMO that horse collar tackle no call right in front of an official gets the win for the worst that went against us.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes it was ticky-tack. From what I saw, there was more pushing on Coop's last TD.
Cooper uses his strength to create space on almost every play. That is pretty typical in the NFL - less common in college. I can't wait to see him in the NFL.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I also thought the ball had to be in the air for offensive PI, but not according to NCAA rule book.

ARTICLE 8. a. During a down in which a legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone, illegal contact by Team A and Team B players is prohibited from the time the ball is snapped until it is touched by any player or an official (A.R. 7-3-8-II).
Offensive pass interference by a Team A player beyond the neutral zone during a legal forward pass play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone is contact that interferes with a Team B eligible player. It is the responsibility of the offensive player to avoid the opponents.
Contact initiated by the WR beyond the neutral zone on a forward pass play is PI, regardless of whether the contact occurs before or after the ball has been thrown (but the ball must cross the line of scrimmage at some point during the play, so does not apply to screen-type passes).

So it was the correct call on Cooper, though like others have said it’s something not called a lot.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I also thought the ball had to be in the air for offensive PI, but not according to NCAA rule book.

Contact initiated by the WR beyond the neutral zone on a forward pass play is PI, regardless of whether the contact occurs before or after the ball has been thrown (but the ball must cross the line of scrimmage at some point during the play, so does not apply to screen-type passes).

So it was the correct call on Cooper, though like others have said it’s something not called a lot.
I'll take another look, but I know that's it's really not called unless the ball is in the air. Otherwise, every play would be PI, with the bumping and hand-fighting which goes on all the way along the route...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
From the Sunday Montgomery Advertiser: "definitely" Cooper said, when asked if he committed the penalty. "Yeah, I pushed off. Uh... yeah."

Talented, yet honest too. :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.