Question: How is Scott hunter in terms of all time bama qbs?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wasn't alive when Scott played, but I have seen the ole miss duel on tape . I hear many qbs mention before his name who played for bama. So I need a little insight in how he is remembered when compared to the all time greats at qbs for Alabama. Rtr

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Hunter was an excellent QB. Pro style. The teams he played on were not real good and he had to carry a heavy load. 6-5 records in 69 &70. He was a backup in the pros for a few years. The 1969 shootout between Hunter and Archie manning is a classic. Bama won 33-32. I was at that game. Yes Ranager pushed off end the endzone for the TD!

I remember Bama played Colorado in a bowl game. Hunter was hammered on every play but he stood in the pocket and didn't flinch.

I remember him well and think of him as a very good QB.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Hunter was an excellent QB. Pro style. The teams he played on were not real good and he had to carry a heavy load. 6-5 records in 69 &70. He was a backup in the pros for a few years. The 1969 shootout between Hunter and Archie manning is a classic. Bama won 33-32. I was at that game. Yes Ranager pushed off end the endzone for the TD!

I remember Bama played Colorado in a bowl game. Hunter was hammered on every play but he stood in the pocket and didn't flinch.

I remember him well and think of him as a very good QB.
Every thing Seebell said. I too was at that game and also saw Ranager get knocked down the end zone by a DB and still make a falling down catch. George Ranager and our other WR, David Bailey were both from Mississippi and first cousins. Man that was a long time ago. Hunter a prolific passer who played on two not very good teams. BTW his backup was Neb Hayden.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
My mom waited on him at a restaurant in Mobile. He didn't leave a tip :) ... so that's what I'll always remember about him. Otherwise, he was a very good QB at my old high school (Vigor HS) and at Bama. ;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He set the record for most passing yards in a game against Auburn in 1969.
Unfortunately, he achieved that record because we were getting our butt kicked and had to throw every play to try to get back in the game, which we didn't do. Not even close.
They beat us pretty bad as I recall.
I told my wife yesterday, "There should be a distinction between most passing yards in a win, and most passing yards in a loss".
Most passing records have been set by losing quarterbacks who had to throw every play because their team was behind.
That wasn't the case with Blake against Florida. His passing efficiency created the blowout we witnessed.
To me, that beats Hunter's single game record.
sip

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
My mom waited on him at a restaurant in Mobile. He didn't leave a tip :) ... so that's what I'll always remember about him. Otherwise, he was a very good QB at my old high school (Vigor HS) and at Bama. ;)
I can relate. I live in the Mobile Area and he came to the Bank I worked at in Daphne all the time when I was working my way through college. He was ALWAYS rude and condescending to all the male and female Tellers who waited on him. Personally he's a real jerk. I've never seen his Bama highlights however.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I can relate. I live in the Mobile Area and he came to Bank I worked at in Daphne all the time when I was working my way through college. He was ALWAYS rude and condescending to all the male and female Tellers who waited on him. Personally he's a real jerk. I've never seen his Bama highlights however.
There's a lot of former Bama players who think of themselves as "above" mere working people.
I've met 'em.
Hunter, to me, is one of those guys.
What he needs to realize is that he wears the crown of having the worst winning record of a two year starter at QB in the entire Bryant era. 10 losses in two years..
His lack of ability to win at QB in 69 caused Bryant to change the entire offense to the wishbone in 1970.
Best career move Bryant ever made.
He was an OK sportscaster in Mobile, but he wasn't a great quarterback.
sip

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
There's a lot of former Bama players who think of themselves as "above" mere working people.
I've met 'em.
What he needs to realize is that he wears the crown of having the worst winning record of a two year starter at QB in the entire Bryant era. 10 losses in two years..
His lack of ability to win at QB in 69 caused Bryant to change the entire offense to the wishbone in 1970.
sip
I would say it was a lack of overall talent on the team. Not just Scott Hunter.

His daughter is Mary Scott Hunter.
Hhttps://web.alsde.edu/home/Executive/BoardMemberBio.aspx?view=08

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've met 'em.
sip
Would it be safe to say that the duel came out of nowhere. Not to argue I'm just wondering why Other qbs are more mentioned than him . Like I said only saw a replay of the duel

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I guess his barely over .500 record is why he isn't so widely remembered. Those were also the last two years we had an all white team (our 1967 team wasn't up to Bryant standards), though I don't know how integrated the rest of the SEC was by then.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I would say it was a lack of overall talent on the team. Not just Scott Hunter.

His daughter is Mary Scott Hunter.
Hhttps://web.alsde.edu/home/Executive/BoardMemberBio.aspx?view=08
The link didn't work, but I'm sure she's a fine woman, and, of course, it wasn't just Scott. He probably gave us a chance, when we didn't have a chance. But I have indeed met him and dealt with him, and he can indeed be, quite arrogant.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
To answer the question, no, he is not among the all time bama qb's. He was a good qb who had a high number of passing yardage, interceptions, and losses.

John8054

Aug 13, 2003
Prattville, AL USA
Said the same thing to my wife after the game. I was at the 1969 Auburn game and they beat us badly and - to top it all off - the Aubs ran a fake punt for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter when the game was already out of hand. Classless.
That was the same season that Scott Hunter had a LATERAL intercepted for a TD against Tennessee.
I've met him several times. Meh.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.