Michigan's Offense

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Hoke is going to get fired - they are beginning to boo at games, and Michigan fans don't boo. His only chance is to beat us this year - that will buy him another season. I don't see it happening, but you never know. For his replacement, Harbaugh would be a dream come true for their fan base. I don't see it happening unless he is fired and cannot land another NFL gig - doubtful on both fronts, IMO.

Miles would be smart to leave LSU for Michigan, and they would love to have him. Saban now owns Louisiana in recruiting - he gets as many of their top recruits as Miles does. And Alabama has locked down Mobile and the FL panhandle. With Strong rebuilding Texas, the Sooners back on top and aTm playing so well, Miles can forget about that region for recruits. LSU is going to continue a downward spiral for the next few years. Best to get out before some of the stink rubs off on him.
That's funny.....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Miles would be smart to leave LSU for Michigan, and they would love to have him. Saban now owns Louisiana in recruiting - he gets as many of their top recruits as Miles does. And Alabama has locked down Mobile and the FL panhandle. With Strong rebuilding Texas, the Sooners back on top and aTm playing so well, Miles can forget about that region for recruits. LSU is going to continue a downward spiral for the next few years. Best to get out before some of the stink rubs off on him.
Wow!!! :Eek I'm from Missouri ... well not really but ...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IF a certain member of the media hadn't leaked Miles to Michigan a few years ago it would have probably happened then.

If Michigan comes calling again I think Miles will go (ala Bear when Mama called). However, for Miles it might be "six one" or "half dozen the other."

If he stays, as B1GTide notes, the situation may get worse at LSU, but if he goes he has a huge rebuilding job to do and the only way he'll compete on the national scene with the upper crust of the SEC, ACC and PAC is to probably recruit outside of the region, which means recruiting kids from the south and west to come to Michigan.

Quite the dilemma!

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I agree that Hoke will be gone at the end of the season. If Harbaugh left the NFL, not sure he will, he would be a home run hire for Michigan, especially being a Michigan Man. Also Les Miles might be ready to leave the pressure cooker SEC and finish his career at Michigan where he only has one legitimate game a year.

I don't think either has a snowball's chance of becoming HC at Michigan.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I think Hoke's doing an outstanding job at Michigan, just as I still think Gerry Faust was superb at Notre Dame, & Curley Hallman was great at LSU back in the day. I see no need for the powers-that-be in Ann Arbor to even consider making a change. :biggrin2:

(couldn't decide whether to use the blue font; decided I really do think these things. ;))

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Think about it for a minute, the only relevant team this year in the Big 10 is MSU. What do they do that seems to escape all other members of the conference except maybe OSU? They play superb defense, run the ball, and have a conservative passing offense. To me this is the only way for the conference to get back relevant again - go back to playing traditional time of possession football. They dont have enough top flight athletes to run the spread and compete against the more physical versions in the South.

Just on trends alone, Harbaugh wouldnt go to the Big 10 he's too good for that. To me the Big 10 is the home for retread coaches who have some pedigree but dont really have the mojo to hit it hard again. Guys like Mack Brown and Fulmer would be good candidates to ride off into the sunset at a Big 10 school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Think about it for a minute, the only relevant team this year in the Big 10 is MSU. What do they do that seems to escape all other members of the conference except maybe OSU? They play superb defense, run the ball, and have a conservative passing offense. To me this is the only way for the conference to get back relevant again - go back to playing traditional time of possession football. They dont have enough top flight athletes to run the spread and compete against the more physical versions in the South.

Just on trends alone, Harbaugh wouldnt go to the Big 10 he's too good for that. To me the Big 10 is the home for retread coaches who have some pedigree but dont really have the mojo to hit it hard again. Guys like Mack Brown and Fulmer would be good candidates to ride off into the sunset at a Big 10 school.
Almost all B1G schools run a pro-set offense. We just don't have the quality/depth in either players or coaches.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Almost all B1G schools run a pro-set offense. We just don't have the quality/depth in either players or coaches.
Meh, I'll quibble a bit with this. tOSU, Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana run pure spread offenses, and several more Big Ten schools spend a considerable portion of their offensive snaps in single-back, three-and-four receiver looks (Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland). I'd argue that the only pure pro-set teams in the B1G these days are Rutgers, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa.

Honestly, most of the country is moving in this direction. In 2014, the SEC has eight teams (over half the conference) that run a pure spread offense, and several more that use a lot of spread looks - Alabama included.

I agree with your assertion that Hoke is likely finished after this season, and I think it makes logical sense that the desired replacements are (1A) Jim Harbaugh and (1B) Les Miles. Either of these would be very good hires for Michigan and would likely do very well there - I believe Harbaugh could make them an elite program again, and Miles would do no worse than Lloyd Carr. However, I have no barometer for how willing these guys would be to talk to Michigan. In fact, I've heard from various sources that the bridges may be burned for both guys.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Nuss was not a bad play caller, Kiffin is just better. I think where Nuss may have not been as good is in the area of QB development. Kiffin is obviously a very, very good QB coach. We have recruited a bunch of QB's who when they were signed were hailed as the next Namath, but none of them seem to have panned out at least so far.

As far as Michigan as a program goes, I think it is getting harder and harder for them to pull quality kids from the south, specifically Florida. They used to get recruits who were difference makers, but I believe kids now don't want to brave the cold weather up north as much today. They also don't play a style that attracts kids these days. ND has had and is having many of the same issues recruiting kids, but they seem to be slowly building again.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
According to some posters on a Michigan forum their AD is a control freak and never warmed up to Miles because he would not be a "yes" man. So he got Hoke. One of these posters seems to think that their AD will not make the same mistake again and that Les Miles is and has always been theirs if they wanted him. Just their opinion, of course.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I've heard from one of my friends that their offensive line is bad..."bucket step" bad. That is going to hinder Nuss' offense.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Tuberville, with Muschamp as DC and Houston Nutt running the O.

After he makes himself a hot property for that one-game season by sub-Urbaning Meyer again (would make him 3-0 against the Drama Queen of Hearts).

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Don't know about that. It may be mutual. Reports are that his coaching style is beginning to grate on NFL egos. A lot of smoke concerning thoughts of returning to the college game.
Wow, that is something if true. Heck, Harbaugh brought that program out of smoldering ashes. Dude really knows his stuff. I think he is single-handedly responsible for Stanford's resurgence as well. All I know is if he does come back to the college game he is going to be a force anywhere he goes...gamechanger just like Saban.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Meh, I'll quibble a bit with this. tOSU, Illinois, Northwestern and Indiana run pure spread offenses, and several more Big Ten schools spend a considerable portion of their offensive snaps in single-back, three-and-four receiver looks (Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue, Penn State, Maryland). I'd argue that the only pure pro-set teams in the B1G these days are Rutgers, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa.

Honestly, most of the country is moving in this direction. In 2014, the SEC has eight teams (over half the conference) that run a pure spread offense, and several more that use a lot of spread looks - Alabama included.
That is a good point - I should have said that most B1G schools run most plays from pro-set formations, but almost all at least dabble in spread formations, read options and wildcats.

I think Hoke's doing an outstanding job at Michigan, just as I still think Gerry Faust was superb at Notre Dame, & Curley Hallman was great at LSU back in the day. I see no need for the powers-that-be in Ann Arbor to even consider making a change. :biggrin2:

(couldn't decide whether to use the blue font; decided I really do think these things. ;))
Don't forget Doug Barfield at the Barn.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.