the ajc is in full excuse mode for richt, again

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
like so much that comes out of uga, this too was expected. the ajc letting us know for the umpteenth time that richt is focused on what's really important.

ajc article

I’ve always felt that way,” he said. “That’s part of the reason I’m coaching college rather than pro ball. There’s something besides winning that’s important here. It doesn’t diminish how important winning is. That’s the part some people get confused about. I mean, winning is supremely important to me and the rest of the staff. But in the process of winning and teaching these guys how to play football, there’s just as great or a greater cause, I think.
this same article has been written over and over again. also, its funny that this doesn't seem to translate to the players much as they are year in and year out one of the most undisciplined teams and at least a few times a year have players showing an absolute lack of class on the field, apparently with the ok of the head coach (e.g. storming the field in the uf game, gurley's head butts - that has happened more than once)

so, imo, in 14 years, richt has not shown that he can perform at a high level, and he is really not turning heads with his player development/leadership,

but he makes folks feel good 'cause he's such a "good" guy

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Let's not forget the eye gouging incident in the SEC Championship that was certainly "just guys playing football."
like so much that comes out of uga, this too was expected. the ajc letting us know for the umpteenth time that richt is focused on what's really important.

ajc article

this same article has been written over and over again. also, its funny that this doesn't seem to translate to the players much as they are year in and year out one of the most undisciplined teams and at least a few times a year have players showing an absolute lack of class on the field, apparently with the ok of the head coach (e.g. storming the field in the uf game, gurley's head butts - that has happened more than once)

so, imo, in 14 years, richt has not shown that he can perform at a high level, and he is really not turning heads with his player development/leadership,

but he makes folks feel good 'cause he's such a "good" guy

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I'm not a big Mark Richt fan, but he did come within a hiccup of a national championship in 2012. I have no doubt that they would've trounced Notre Dame had they beaten us in the SECCG. That being said, I don't think he'll ever get Georgia that close again. That one game defined his career.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I think the problem with UGA are georgia fans expectations. They have always been a good program (but not top program) and CMR has done well at that level. They are not Alabama... and never will be.

example: UGA's first SEC championship game was not until 2002.

I think the problem with UGA are georgia fans expectations. They have always been a good program (but not top program) and CMR has done well at that level. They are not Alabama... and never will be.

example: UGA's first SEC championship game was not until 2002.

Took them another 9/10 years to get back, but they haven't won it since 2002. I don't know a lot abou UGA football, but seems to me that they think they (fans) are entitled in the East. You hardly ever seen them play to their talent and when they do it's against Clemson. Richt is a good coach. I just don't think he will ever win the big one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A few weeks ago someone posted his record against ranked teams and it was decidedly average - below average wen the talent of his players is taken into account. But maybe he really does believe that he is making a difference in the lives of young men - and maybe he is. We all know that Saban returned to college football for that reason. If he is, that would be enough to earn my respect.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A few weeks ago someone posted his record against ranked teams and it was decidedly average - below average wen the talent of his players is taken into account. But maybe he really does believe that he is making a difference in the lives of young men - and maybe he is. We all know that Saban returned to college football for that reason. If he is, that would be enough to earn my respect.
just judging from the actions of his players over the years, i don't think he is making that great of an difference in them. jmho of course.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Lighten up on Richt, folks.

We need him at Georgia, being good enough to siphon talent from Alabama Polytech in West Georgia, but not good enough to make runs at the really big time.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

We need him at Georgia, being good enough to siphon talent from Alabama Polytech in West Georgia, but not good enough to make runs at the real big time.
Exactly ... why all the hate? ;) Richt is right where he needs to be. I have no issue with him being the Georgia coach :) <- I wonder if this needs a different font color all together.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

We need him at Georgia, being good enough to siphon talent from Alabama Polytech in West Georgia, but not good enough to make runs at the real big time.
i think richt will retire from uga. in the 30+ years since herschel, the fan base and ptb seem content with discussing and bathing in their awesome potential

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Exactly. Leave him alone. We really don't want UGA firing Richt and hiring Kirby Smart away from Tuscaloosa.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Exactly. Leave him alone. We really don't want UGA firing Richt and hiring Kirby Smart away from Tuscaloosa.
Actually, quite paradoxically the Dawg fans are so proud and feel so superior to us that us making fun of Richt causes them to rally around him. So much fun to hear UGA Fans have questions and then jump in and say "yeah I'd fire him" and then watch them rally to his defense. By the end of the conversation dawgs that wanted him fired are ready to give him a lifetime contract

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Man, I told you not to read the AJC............and so soon after your surgery..........oy vey!

Everyone else: you have to spend a football season in Atlanta, to understand this. No, we do not want him to leave. We hope he stays until he retires. It is just hard living with their fan base.

It is nowhere near as bad as living with API fans. I had to move to Texas, so I would not hear "Punt, Bama, punt!", all my adult life. Still, Jawjuh fans are a treat to live with.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Man, I told you not to read the AJC............and so soon after your surgery..........oy vey!

Everyone else: you have to spend a football season in Atlanta, to understand this. No, we do not want him to leave. We hope he stays until he retires. It is just hard living with their fan base.

It is nowhere near as bad as living with API fans. I had to move to Texas, so I would not hear "Punt, Bama, punt!", all my adult life. Still, Jawjuh fans are a treat to live with.
Auburn fans are better than UGA fans. AU fans know their place, even if they don't act like they do sometimes. Dawg fans are delusional like no other. Unbearable, they don't understand football, have no idea what it actually takes to build a program and win, have no respect for tradition nor understanding of why it matters. They truly believe that everyone else in the SEC Cheats and they never do and that's why we win and they don't.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Most of that is true, but when have you seen API fans know their place?

(In retrospect, glad I did not get that job at Scientific Atlanta.)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'm not a big Mark Richt fan, but he did come within a hiccup of a national championship in 2012. I have no doubt that they would've trounced Notre Dame had they beaten us in the SECCG. That being said, I don't think he'll ever get Georgia that close again. That one game defined his career.
I agree. He also had a chance in 2002 but I don't think they could have hung with Miami though...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
at least for me, it is not hate, it is mockery. i live amongst the fan base ;)
Yeah I used to too. They are something else. In their minds, they should be winning it all every season. When it comes to the Falcons however, they are doom and gloom. They are a very bi-polar bunch and not just when it comes to sports. Glad I moved away from Atlanta.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah I used to too. They are something else. In their minds, they should be winning it all every season. When it comes to the Falcons however, they are doom and gloom. They are a very bi-polar bunch and not just when it comes to sports. Glad I moved away from Atlanta.
i actually like living here (although, i wouldn't mind colorado :) ), but yeah, the sports scene here is weird.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.