Gary Danielson's knowledge of the game is pretty amazing.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
In a minority here, but I never listen to a telecast team anymore, due probably to Keith Jackson's departure from the booth, I find I enjoy watching the game better without having to listen to a lot of the "neutral" commentators who more often than not are getting paid for telling me what I can see with my own eyes anyway. Too many of these guys have said things that really ticked me off and take away from enjoying the game.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I think with age I've lightened up a bit on Verne. Or maybe it's the three national championships we've won and I'm not wound as tight as I was during that 17 year drought. But I'll be honest. After listening to a lot of the announcers on lesser games they are a welcomed sight. For the record Chris Fowler is a major step down from Musberger on the prime time game on ABC. His voice just doesn't have it.
Verne does a decent job.Mussy don't know football.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Look at it from another perspective: what if you are not an Alabama fan???

For the last 7 years Alabama has been on top of the college football world. Most games we are kicking butt. When a team is kicking butt the play by play and color commentary guys (Vern and Gary) are going to talk about what they are seeing and for the last seven years they've mainly done nothing but wax eloquent (or in Vern's case, stumble around) about how good Bama is week in and week out.

Imagine how much you'd hate 'em if you were a rival fan listening to them praise how Bama is beating your team???

See, it's sometimes just all a matter of perspective. ;)

bamamac77

Feb 12, 2008
Verne and Gary may know a little about football but they are both idiots! I would rather mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcast with the game if it wasn't for the delay.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I may be an odd duck on this, but I think it'd be cool to hear Danielson with Bob Costas in college football. Just a thought, feel free to flame away...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Verne does a decent job.Mussy don't know football.
Mushburger knows a good lookin' woman, though

as far as the conversation about Vern , well,
somewhere, Orlando McCain is smiling

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Look at it from another perspective: what if you are not an Alabama fan???

For the last 7 years Alabama has been on top of the college football world. Most games we are kicking butt. When a team is kicking butt the play by play and color commentary guys (Vern and Gary) are going to talk about what they are seeing and for the last seven years they've mainly done nothing but wax eloquent (or in Vern's case, stumble around) about how good Bama is week in and week out.

Imagine how much you'd hate 'em if you were a rival fan listening to them praise how Bama is beating your team???

See, it's sometimes just all a matter of perspective. ;)
Every single barner I know swears Gary and Verne are Bama homers. They probably even think they are on the REC payroll, and handpicked "cronies" to advance CNS' agenda.

I've never got the deal with people hating them for speaking highly of Tim Tebow. He was one of the greatest CFB players ever. He speaks very highly of CNS too, but no Bama fan minds that at all.:)

As you said, 'Moon, it's all about perspective.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Every single barner I know swears Gary and Verne are Bama homers. They probably even think they are on the REC payroll, and handpicked "cronies" to advance CNS' agenda.

I've never got the deal with people hating them for speaking highly of Tim Tebow. He was one of the greatest CFB players ever. He speaks very highly of CNS too, but no Bama fan minds that at all.:)

As you said, 'Moon, it's all about perspective.
and every single barner and corndog actually believes that finebaum is a bama homer too. If you want a homer analyst or announcer look for Danny Kannell, Joey Galloway, and Jesse Palmer. Im actually suprised that Tebow isnt a big time homer of Florida with an agenda but little Jessie who did nothing is.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't disagree entirely. He is a quality announcer, particularly in comparison. I'm just saying the he is not relying totally on hie insight and experience when he predicts a play. he does offer good insight on technique and purposeful play calling (calling one play to set up another) for example. Just saying that his predictions come true a lot because he has been told what to expect.
I doubt that CNS has even told Ms. Terry exactly what to expect...

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
Didn't read the whole thread, but I like GD a lot, very knowledgable. But I don't care who calls the game as long as it's not Jesse Palmer. I can't stand to even look at the guy, and especially hear him talk.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
The alternatives aren't very promising either. As far as I can see there aren't any up and coming "voices" that are in line to replace a lot of the old timers. As much as I dislike Musberger he's got a great broadcasting voice and has some good cliches in his arsenal for big games and big moments. One of my favorites was in the Notre Dame game "Folks if this was a prize fight they'd stop it." LOL!
This is a mauling, folks, a mauling.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Verne has a great voice, but misses too many calls. He is only 74, but does not seem to be equal to the tempo of calling play-by-play anymore. There's a reason why Keith Jackson dialed it back in his early 70's and hung it up for good at 77. Plus, I hate the way Verne says "measurement" (MAY-zhur-mint).
Well, he is from Minne-SOO-tah.

Whenever I hear him, it is like going back 40 years, on "Bowling for Dollars", after the 6 PM news, 5 days per.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_for_Dollars#Dallas.2FFort_Worth

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.