Gary Danielson's knowledge of the game is pretty amazing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
While I missed this broadcast, Danielson always impresses me with his knowledge of the game. He consistently calls plays before the snap, he's really an expert.

Todd Blackledge also does this some, but not nearly as often as GD. Like both of them a lot.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Though I do chuckle when others talk about them, the only real thing I have ever really disliked is when they get players' names wrong. I could have sworn Danielson said Todd Gurley on Saturday when he meant to say Yeldon.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Mrs. Tidewater says Vern sounds like he had imbibed a few adult beverages and if you listen closely enough, you can hear his martini glass clinking at times.
I'm guessing he takes a drink or two during the game to help him keep everybody's name straight.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
I think Danielson is the absolute best in the business. He regularly calls plays ahead of time based on alignments and tendencies and provides great analysis after the fact. You really learn the game when you listen to him. And, yes, Verne gets names wrong all the time. I probably will too if I live long enough, but his voice and timing are incredible.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but go back and watch the 2012 LSU game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbOGF9hUUSs, begins at 12:00 mark). That last drive begins with Danielson nailing it about our OL providing protection, Verne's call of the Yeldon TD was one of his best, and then Gary again nails it by pointing out LSU lack of aggression until that play and how we hit it just right.

For those who accuse Gary of bias, I think if anything he's biased toward Alabama. Gary loves Saban and the way he coaches.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I really like Gary. He watches the games closely ( perhaps because Verne doesn't :)) and sees things quickly. Our first score I think he saw coming before everyone except Lane. He was all over Howard being uncovered when he was at split end. And he quickly pointed out we were in Tampa Two on Landon's pick.

Verne I think has reached meme status :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i don't have any problem with gary and verne. i think (jmho of course) that what many of us see as an "anti-bama bias" is due to the fact that we are pretty much king of the hill (since 2008-9) and everyone is trying to knock us off. i always hear gary's commentary as "you're not going to beat bama doing that"

danielson, blackledge and herbstreit are my 3 favorite announcers.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Mrs. Tidewater says Vern sounds like he had imbibed a few adult beverages and if you listen closely enough, you can hear his martini glass clinking at times.
I think he probably drinks no more than Harry Carey did while broadcasting Cub games. That's acceptable, right? Sometimes I wondered how Harry could sit upright, much less talk.

I like Gary. His pre game film study is obvious. He calls a lot of things before they happen, but , sometimes he verbally pats himself on the back.

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011
I think Verne knows the game better than some give him credit for, and I think he's got a good voice for broadcasting.

In the old days, if a play left Keith Jackson flabbergasted, it was fun to see and hear. Nowadays, a flabbergasted Verne is about as close as we can come to that gold standard. Woah Nellie!
I think we were all spoiled by Keith Jackson. He was one in a million!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
i don't have any problem with gary and verne. i think (jmho of course) that what many of us see as an "anti-bama bias" is due to the fact that we are pretty much king of the hill (since 2008-9) and everyone is trying to knock us off. i always hear gary's commentary as "you're not going to beat bama doing that"

danielson, blackledge and herbstreit are my 3 favorite announcers.
Methinks we (Bama fans and really a lot of SEC fans) are a bit too sensitive, IMVHO.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Gary's problem arises when he doesn't realize he's talked too much. The longer he talks, the more likely he is to make a dumb comment that he'll regret.

Knowledge wise, he's fantastic. Just wish he would take a few breaths during the game.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Verne and Gary are very good. Garys' knowledge + Vernes' voice.

Blackledge and Nessler are the current gold standard. Not even close in my opinion.

I'll watch older games on ESPN Classic simply to hear Keith Jackson in his prime.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Gary's problem arises when he doesn't realize he's talked too much. The longer he talks, the more likely he is to make a dumb comment that he'll regret.

Knowledge wise, he's fantastic. Just wish he would take a few breaths during the game.
i think that talking throughout the game is part of his job description ;)

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I like Gary Danielson and think he's very smart, but he can get annoying as he gets a bit too proud of himself.

Verne Tonguetwist has a million dollar voice and a ten cent brain.

That being said, they're still better than most.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.