Gary Danielson's knowledge of the game is pretty amazing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know he is a part of one of the most criticized announcing crews around. But Gary Danielson knows football. It was amazing how many times he called plays before they even happened. "When Alabama goes under center they normally throw the fade to Cooper." Seconds later we throw the fade to Cooper. He does things like this throughout the game. There are a lot of former players who are announcing crews but I don't think there is another one that even comes close to doing what Danielson does with regards to telling he audience what to look for next. He deserves some kudos for that.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You can tell he enjoys the game as well as studying it. My main complaint with him is that he can get sidetracked on something and run it into the ground. An example from our game this past weekend was the hit out of bounds on Yeldon. At first glance, it appeared to be a ticky tack call and I was ready to agree with Danielson that it probably shouldn't have been called. But then the replay clearly shows Yeldon out of bounds and giving up on the play (because it was dead) before the Florida defender plowed into him. The Florida guy had plenty of time to let up. He didn't, and was rightly flagged for it. Even after seeing this in slo-mo, Danielson continued to try to dispute the call (although he did back off a bit by saying it was just Florida playing hard and not giving up on the play).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
You can tell he enjoys the game as well as studying it. My main complaint with him is that he can get sidetracked on something and run it into the ground. An example from our game this past weekend was the hit out of bounds on Yeldon. At first glance, it appeared to be a ticky tack call and I was ready to agree with Danielson that it probably shouldn't have been called. But then the replay clearly shows Yeldon out of bounds and giving up on the play (because it was dead) before the Florida defender plowed into him. The Florida guy had plenty of time to let up. He didn't, and was rightly flagged for it. Even after seeing this in slo-mo, Danielson continued to try to dispute the call (although he did back off a bit by saying it was just Florida playing hard and not giving up on the play).
I had the impression that Danielson was in the gray on that late hit call by the time he saw the last replay. I could easily be wrong.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
No doubt he has his faults. I can find fault in just about any announcer/analyst. But with Danielson I really enjoy the foresight he brings to the game. It almost never fails. At least once in every game he'll throw out something like "Look for a slant and go here. They like to go to that when they get this look." and I be dang seconds later that's what they do. LOL! I think it's pretty cool.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know they aren't perfect, but I don't understand the hate for Vern and Gary. Vern has one of the greatest voices on television. He's better at 16 at Augusta because the action is happening a little slower there, but he's got a flare for the dramatic. His call of AJ to TJ at LSU a couple of years ago was outstanding!

We tend to be a little too negative about lots of things and Vern and Gary are just easy targets.

But Gary does know football, especially what a qb (and OC) should be looking for in a defense.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I know he is a part of one of the most criticized announcing crews around. But Gary Danielson knows football. It was amazing how many times he called plays before they even happened. "When Alabama goes under center they normally throw the fade to Cooper." Seconds later we throw the fade to Cooper. He does things like this throughout the game. There are a lot of former players who are announcing crews but I don't think there is another one that even comes close to doing what Danielson does with regards to telling he audience what to look for next. He deserves some kudos for that.
I agree.

But sometimes he just can't be impartial...for instance...

When Blake hit Drake on that long ball to open the game, Gary's remark was "Oh Jeez..." as if to say "I hoped Florida could do better than that against Bama."

Maybe he wasn't pulling against Bama...although it sounded like he was...but his analysis is good enough that I don't really care who he pulls for.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I know they aren't perfect, but I don't understand the hate for Vern and Gary. Vern has one of the greatest voices on television. He's better at 16 at Augusta because the action is happening a little slower there, but he's got a flare for the dramatic. His call of AJ to TJ at LSU a couple of years ago was outstanding!

We tend to be a little too negative about lots of things and Vern and Gary are just easy targets.

But Gary does know football, especially what a qb (and OC) should be looking for in a defense.
I think with age I've lightened up a bit on Verne. Or maybe it's the three national championships we've won and I'm not wound as tight as I was during that 17 year drought. But I'll be honest. After listening to a lot of the announcers on lesser games they are a welcomed sight. For the record Chris Fowler is a major step down from Musberger on the prime time game on ABC. His voice just doesn't have it.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm nearly certain he did the same thing in the Rocky Block game. Daniel Lincoln had attempted a FG with a low trajectory, and he said something about how he needed to kick with a higher angle against our DL or we would be all over them. Of course, two blocked kicks later, we walk away with the win.
He really is one of the best. He was obnoxious in his early years on CBS but has really become a great commentator.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I agree.

When Blake hit Drake on that long ball to open the game, Gary's remark was "Oh Jeez..." as if to say "I hoped Florida could do better than that against Bama."

Maybe he wasn't pulling against Bama...although it sounded like he was...but his analysis is good enough that I don't really care who he pulls for.
I didn't take it that way. I don't think it was an "Oh jeez" as in "Dang I really hate Alabama scored" but rather "Oh jeez, look what just happened here."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know he is a part of one of the most criticized announcing crews around.
I think most of the criticism is oriented towards Verne Stumblequist who gets more names wrong that he should.
I bet when Danielson made that comment ("When they go under center in this situation, they like to throw the fade.") and seconds later that is exactly what Bama did, Danielson was probably thinking to himself:

Not because he was cheering for Bama, but he just got to show his mastery of Bama tendencies to the listening audience.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree.

CV, I heard the same thing, but my "interpretation" of GD's comment was that he saw what was happening and knew the Bama exposed the Gator secondary. To me it was like his comments was "Oh boy, UF just blew it."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know they aren't perfect, but I don't understand the hate for Vern and Gary. Vern has one of the greatest voices on television.
Mrs. Tidewater says Vern sounds like he had imbibed a few adult beverages and if you listen closely enough, you can hear his martini glass clinking at times.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I know they aren't perfect, but I don't understand the hate for Vern and Gary. Vern has one of the greatest voices on television. He's better at 16 at Augusta because the action is happening a little slower there, but he's got a flare for the dramatic. His call of AJ to TJ at LSU a couple of years ago was outstanding! We tend to be a little too negative about lots of things and Vern and Gary are just easy targets.

Absolutely, Vern in great at the 16th at the Masters. Vern does get a little confused at times, but IMO both are very impartial and try to call it as they see it. And yes, Gary is very knowledgeable in the technical aspects of the game.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think with age I've lightened up a bit on Verne.
I think Verne knows the game better than some give him credit for, and I think he's got a good voice for broadcasting.

In the old days, if a play left Keith Jackson flabbergasted, it was fun to see and hear. Nowadays, a flabbergasted Verne is about as close as we can come to that gold standard. Woah Nellie!

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
My only gripe with Gary is he always seems to be so negative. Instead of it being an awesome play by the offensive player, it was a terrible play by the defensive player.

He can be overly harsh and he likes to harp on mistakes, "You just can't do that" and "That's just a bad play there." The negativity just gets a little old.

There's no doubt that he's as knowledgeable as they come, though. I feel like I learn at least one thing from him every broadcast.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I end up chuckling most of the time when Verne botches a name. Sure, when its our guys I get a little frustrated, but most of the time it's funny. He's got a great voice for the game and he's had several great lines. Ironic considering we just played Florida, but I'll never forget his line when Croyle hit Prothro for that 87 yard bomb to start the game against them back in 2005. "There are few certain truths in such an uncertain world, but one of them is that this ain't Kentucky."

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I think folks are correct in recognizing Gary`s obvious knowledge of the game. IMHO, though, the banter between he and Verne more than borders on the inane. It`s just aggravating , for me, to the point of distraction.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I don't doubt that Gary knows the game, my beef is that the two seem to pick a team they want to win and seem to get excited when they do well and get down in the dumps if the other team does. Doesn't matter if Bama is playing or not. I made a point to watch games where Bama wasn't in it so I didn't have my Crimson Colored Glasses on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.