The Miss St evaluation thread.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For those who watched the LSU/Miss St game rather than the Clemson/Fla St game I want to get y'alls take on Miss St and how "good" they really are or aren't. My take

*Dak Prescott is good. Not great but very good. He has the ability to run and throw. His accuracy can be suspect at times but he makes up for it with what he brings to the table with his mobility.

*I'm not sold on their defense. LSU's offense was atrocious. Jennings' field vision is worse than Stevie Wonder's. They were never challenged with a true passing attack and they simply forced LSU to pass and they couldn't.

My guess is Miss St will lose to Arkansas and Auburn over the next three weeks. I didn't see a dominant team but rather a team with a quarterback with something to prove to a team showed no interest in him until the last minute. This was an emotional game for Prescott to prove a point. It was also an eye opener to the LSU fans as to what they can expect to get if something isn't done with the QB situation. Jennings simply isn't the answer.

Miss St will be 8-4 or 7-5 this season. Bank on it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My unqualified, unprofessional take:

This is Mullen's best team by far. Prescott reminds me so much of Tim Tebow it's uncanny. They've got pretty good talent at receiver, and there is NFL talent on that defense. However, they are not used to the spotlight and they let up when they got the big lead and almost choked that game away to LSU. Yes, LSU is a bad team. But that's kind of the point - MSU was able to make them look like the bad team they are. Most years, LSU would have beaten them.

So, I think this is a very good team but they may well get drowned out with the West being so good this year. There are no gimme games in that division. Arkansas is going to be a very tough out now. So, they may be an 8-4 team before it's all said and done, but any other year and I think this is a 10 win team.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
State is good on D. More talent and depth than maybe ever there. Prescott is the real deal. I think they are a real matchup problem for the barn personally. They can stuff the run and run with power. the game will be won by who throws it better. They likely matchup against Arky is different though. They can slug it out and can likely score faster that Arky if needed. I have thought all along that they were better than OM. More rounded and have almost everyone back that beat them last year. OM is getting lots of love for not really accomplishing much.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For those who watched the LSU/Miss St game rather than the Clemson/Fla St game I want to get y'alls take on Miss St and how "good" they really are or aren't. My take

*Dak Prescott is good. Not great but very good. He has the ability to run and throw. His accuracy can be suspect at times but he makes up for it with what he brings to the table with his mobility.

*I'm not sold on their defense. LSU's offense was atrocious. Jennings' field vision is worse than Stevie Wonder's. They were never challenged with a true passing attack and they simply forced LSU to pass and they couldn't.

My guess is Miss St will lose to Arkansas and Auburn over the next three weeks. I didn't see a dominant team but rather a team with a quarterback with something to prove to a team showed no interest in him until the last minute. This was an emotional game for Prescott to prove a point. It was also an eye opener to the LSU fans as to what they can expect to get if something isn't done with the QB situation. Jennings simply isn't the answer.

9-11 wins like I predicted on the preseason thread. The aTm game is going to either be a shoot out or miss st domination. ATM won't stop Prescott but maybe miss st defense can slow down ATM. Arkansas doesn't have the team to do it even though the last 3 weeks they look impressive. I think if auburn doesn't get their offense together they are going to get scorched on both trips to the Magnolia State .

As for us against them I think with mccarron and nuss we would have a game like last year. But with Lane train and Blake we will keep their defense off balance. Defensively I don't know how we treat Prescott, but the biggest worry is will the trip to the bayou the week before drain us enough to have another Texas a&m game at bds

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i watched bits and pieces of that game and what i took away from it was that lsu is surprisingly bad this year. they looked about as inept as s carolina did in their opener vs a and m

i was paying more attention to the leu train wreck than to how msu was playing so i don't have a feel for them. however, based purely on past experience, i never expect either of the mississippi schools to live up to their hype.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
MSU is better this year no doubt, they will beat Arky and the Barn unless they don't forget to bring the lucky rabbits foot or whatever they have in their possession. TAMU will most likely be their downfall though. I do hope the Barn or Arky can get them though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They are good enough to win the B1G this year, and they might be good enough to win the SECe, but they may come in 4th or 5th in the SECw. How crazy is that?

Finishing the season 9-3 or 8-4 with all of their losses coming to SECw teams won't make them a bad team - it will just make them unfortunate to play in the toughest division in the country.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
They are good enough to win the B1G this year, and they might be good enough to win the SECe, but they may come in 4th or 5th in the SECw. How crazy is that?

Finishing the season 9-3 or 8-4 with all of their losses coming to SECw teams won't make them a bad team - it will just make them unfortunate to play in the toughest division in the country.
Arkansas might be an 8-4 team any place else beside the SEC West.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Agreed. Being from Louisiana and less than 20 minutes away from where Prescott played HS football I know how big of a game this was for him. It was personal. His brother was on our local sports talk radio show last week leading up to the game. He made it clear this game meant everything to Dak. Though if you would ask Dak he would tell you "It's just another game" but the family knew better than that. It was a very emotional game for him and I'm sure his focus was even more on than it would have been for any other game. I'm not taking anything away from him but many times emotional games like this tend to produce a sugar high type effect. It goes up real high for a moment but at some point comes back down.

Miss St is a much better team than what they normally are, no doubt. But I just don't see a championship caliber team when I see them. Plus LSU did them a lot of favors by not making them defend the pass.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I watched the rerun of the game last night and I was really impressed with MSU offense. Bulldogs ran the ball at will on LSU. One drive was close to 99 yards and they were just chewing up the field in 10+ yard chunks. LSU defense was on it's heels. It's hard for me to believe LSU is that bad so my take is MSU is a very real threat until proven otherwise. I think MSU mops the floor with Arkansas and gives the Barn all they want.

I was very impressed with MSU on both sides of the ball.

I don't ever remember a year when it's been harder to tell who is good and who is not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agreed. Being from Louisiana and less than 20 minutes away from where Prescott played HS football I know how big of a game this was for him. It was personal. His brother was on our local sports talk radio show last week leading up to the game. He made it clear this game meant everything to Dak. Though if you would ask Dak he would tell you "It's just another game" but the family knew better than that. It was a very emotional game for him and I'm sure his focus was even more on than it would have been for any other game. I'm not taking anything away from him but many times emotional games like this tend to produce a sugar high type effect. It goes up real high for a moment but at some point comes back down.

Miss St is a much better team than what they normally are, no doubt. But I just don't see a championship caliber team when I see them. Plus LSU did them a lot of favors by not making them defend the pass.
I'll say this if we win in oxford and ATM beats moo state the west will be decided early at bds in 4 weeks because auburn with all the luck in the world won't come out with less than two loses. Otherwise the MSU game might be the clincher

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I don't believe LSU is as bad as some have stated. miss st have a excellent offense that will keep them in a lot of games. their defense is as good as they get def line. however, depth is a big factor. their secondary is weak, average. linebackers good. again depth is a problem unless the offense rolls in drives. LSUs downfall was at qb. freshman harris did a much better job than Jennings. miss st is capable of beating arks, auburn, they wil score points in the texas a&m game, but, they will give up more points to their offense in the air.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I agree, the SECw hands down is the best division in college football this year. As bad as LSU played Saturday, their problems are fixable ... you can honestly say each team is able to win on any given Saturday. Reminds me of 09

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
From what I've seen of MSSt, pass defense is highly susceptible. If they didn't spot LSU 17 points, could have very easily been a different game. LSU still almost came back on em. 4th quarter of that game showed depth problems for MSSt. I personally think OM defense has looked better. They play faster and hit harder IMO.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
From what I've seen of MSSt, pass defense is highly susceptible. If they didn't spot LSU 17 points, could have very easily been a different game. LSU still almost came back on em. 4th quarter of that game showed depth problems for MSSt. I personally think OM defense has looked better. They play faster and hit harder IMO.

I'm not sure if their pass defense is bad or not, but LSU sure couldn't test it. Their passing attack looked like something I'd see in HS. After the first five or so minutes it was obvious that Miss St had zero respect for LSU's passing attack and was going to make sure LSU wasn't going to run the ball on them.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Miggy and Nix nailed it. Their DL is good. Once you start slinging it though it becomes a wholly different story. AU will find it tough sledding again unless NM can throw the ball. As sketchy as he was against KSU I could see Gus putting JJ in during that game if AU doesn't move the ball within the first couple of series.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
MSU can and will (IMO) beat the barn, almost did last year and they are better (and healthier) this year, not sure the barn is.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Any team that can go into Baton Rouge and totally out physical LSU on both sides of the ball and push them around like children can play with anybody.
Plus they have a leader at QB who can make plays with his legs or arm.
This is also the first time that Mullen actually has depth on the offensive and defensive lines.
I picked them to beat LSU and wasn't surprised when it happened.
State, to me, will still be in contention for the West when we play them.
They're good.
sip

I totally agree with you. I don't see how LSU made a game of it. If LSU had half a QB they win that game. LSU had over 425 total yards that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.