Kiffin Or Smart As Possible Head Coach

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Kiffin, he will grow and mature under Saban. Learn how to run a program. He has the offensive mind and can recruit. He will really grow under Saban!

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Now if Nick Saban decided he was ready too step down In a few years would you rather have Kiffin or Smart and why? Tough choice or not.
1. Ones been a head coach
2.Who can recruit
3.Ones defensive Coordinator
4.We know the other is offensive and too other teams
5.3 head coaching jobs
6.Both are young

Just add too this and your opinion.
Here is a few things in my mind we tried Dubose no head coaching experience,Kiffin done pretty well at Tenn for the short time he was there,Probation at USC hurt his chances there.The recruiting went well during that Time.
The no-brainer choice is Joey Jones. He's done more with less, everywhere he's been. Imagine what he could do with the talent at Alabama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Coach Saban stepped down tomorrow, Kirby Smart would be our head coach.
I love the job Lane Kiffin has done, so far. I'm one of his biggest fans.
But Kirby has been there for three national titles, and several close finishes.
I believe the administration would give him an opportunity.
And I believe Coach Saban would give Kirby his support.
One great offensive game by Lane, can not super cede three national championships, in which Kirby was a part of.
Let's get real here. Seriously.
sip

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Here is a list of a few of the guys hired by BCS programs with zero prior head coaching experience. I'll let you guys fill in the blanks as far as how the hires panned out:

Mike Dubose
Mike Shula
Sylvester Croom
Ron Zook
Charlie Weis
Joker Phillips
Ed Orgeron
Jon Embree
Mike Stoops
Will Muschamp
Bo Pelini

The last two are still coaching, but both are four-plus years in with very little to show for it and will very likely lose their jobs without a divisional title this season at a minimum. Yes, there are exceptions like Bob Stoops....but they are just that - exceptions.

Kirby is a great asset for the program in more ways than one, but IMO he shouldn't even be on the list of potential replacements for CNS right now.

As as far as Kiffin....he's had two largely unsuccessful stints as a head coach, and one that was abbreviated. Some guys just make better coordinators. I'd prefer his shot at redemption as a head coach be somewhere other than UA.

When CNS leaves or retires, the most successful experienced head coaches should be at the top of the list. The UA job is possibly the best gig in the nation right now...no need to settle on someone who doesn't look like a sure bet.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
Here is a list of a few of the guys hired by BCS programs with zero prior head coaching experience. I'll let you guys fill in the blanks as far as how the hires panned out:

Mike Dubose
Mike Shula
Sylvester Croom
Ron Zook
Charlie Weis
Joker Phillips
Ed Orgeron
Jon Embree
Mike Stoops
Will Muschamp
Bo Pelini

The last two are still coaching, but both are four-plus years in with very little to show for it and will very likely lose their jobs without a divisional title this season at a minimum. Yes, there are exceptions like Bob Stoops....but they are just that - exceptions.

Kirby is a great asset for the program in more ways than one, but IMO he shouldn't even be on the list of potential replacements for CNS right now.

As as far as Kiffin....he's had two largely unsuccessful stints as a head coach, and one that was abbreviated. Some guys just make better coordinators. I'd prefer his shot at redemption as a head coach be somewhere other than UA.

When CNS leaves or retires, the most successful experienced head coaches should be at the top of the list. The UA job is possibly the best gig in the nation right now...no need to settle on someone who doesn't look like a sure bet.
Kiffin did miracles with Jonathan Crompton and Tennessee in their darkest hour, he took over a probation laden USC team. If he took over a stacked Bama team, I am sure he would keep the ball rolling!

Last edited:

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Of the two choices it'd be Kiffin "IF" and "WHEN" he's had enough "YEARS" under Saban's system. And "ONLY" then.
I've really learned to appreciate his talent and putting him on the sideline was nothing short of brilliant on Saban's part.

RTR!!!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I really hope Smart gets hired away as a head coach after this year. He'll need the leading experience before he can become a HC in an SEC school let alone Alabama.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I saw the Scabinsky article in on Al.com about Kiffen could be the next coach at Bama. I quit clicking on his links last year, he think is Finebaum Jr. I am not a fan of his type of journalism. Also look at the talent that the Birmingham News has on the Alabama beat. Over the past 5 years it seems ever 2 years the entire staff is replaced. Is the Bham News doing that bad? I once lived in Bham and back in the day, before the internet, we depended on the newspaper to keep us informed about the team. We were lucky to have Alf Van Hoose, and some other great sports writers you could trust to write a article that makes you think and informs you, instead of making you want to take the Sunday paper and find Scarbinksy and beat the living daylights out of him for even thinking of such trash let alone writing it.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I didnt mean to hijack this thread but everyone seems to be having fun with it. So I put my own 2 cents in about the Bham news and whats his the writer.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Kiffin has done a good job so far, but OM, TAMU, LSU, auburn and now MSU are all better teams than anyone we have played so far this season. He will be tested.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Please. No more hires as head football coach who has not already been one. Preferrably a successful one , but head coach at minimum.

Also, count me in with the group who doesn't give rats' patoot whether he is a "Bama person".

Now, back to enjoying our current coach and what he is doing. ;)

Last edited:

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Not sure I'd want either as a head coach. Kiffin is a great OC but his record as HC is disastrous. Smart has no experience as a HC and I think this is a job that requires an experienced, exceptional person in that position.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Forgetting for a second how ridiculous a notion it is to wonder about a coach who has coached 4 games at Bama taking over for Nick Saban, here's my thoughts:

Between the two, I think there is a lot to be said for having helped build the culture that currently exists. Smart is very appealing from that aspect, along with his defensive background. Kiffin strikes me at this point as someone who may be better suited as a coordinator. If I'm picking between he and Kiffin, I'd pick Smart (also because I'm not sold on Jr having learned from his mistakes just yet).

But I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach came from the Saban tree and was already running a program successfully (like Dantonio at MSU).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.