Kiffin Or Smart As Possible Head Coach

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The team is Coach Sabans including the defense but the defense is not totally run by Coach Saban any more than the offense is. I would not call CNS by his surname any more than I would call Coach Bryant by his surname, totally disrespectful on your part. I would say this puts you in the 'moo' category.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Guys.. Will get fired... I'm willing to bet Saban takes a look at him, but remember he wasn't retained by dolphins coaching staff so he left... I say Coach saban will look at plenty of up and coming DC with established defense. He wants 3-4 formation with nickel and dime.. so I would say he dont want to change that scheme...

This is the year Smart will leave though... he just have to show that our defense improved from last year... he does that, he's out of here. Now, watch Georgia and Richt situation. Keep eyes on that. So team to put on Watch list:

Georgia
Florida
Michgain
LSU
Vandy
Texas
Texas Tech

those are the team that will be interested in Kirby. Kiffin wil stay another year to polish his " image"
richt will retire from georgia, and not anytime soon. it is a symbiotic relationship based on comfort.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Now if Nick Saban decided he was ready too step down In a few years would you rather have Kiffin or Smart and why? Tough choice or not.
1. Ones been a head coach
2.Who can recruit
3.Ones defensive Coordinator
4.We know the other is offensive and too other teams
5.3 head coaching jobs
6.Both are young

Just add too this and your opinion.
Here is a few things in my mind we tried Dubose no head coaching experience,Kiffin done pretty well at Tenn for the short time he was there,Probation at USC hurt his chances there.The recruiting went well during that Time.
At this point in time, I would have to go with Kirby Smart. He is driven to succeed, has a great work ethic and has proven himself to be a very good coach. Plus CNS has commented many times in the past that someday Kirby Smart will be a great head coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Related or not to this thread, I think it's funny that for the past couple of years many have said "CNS will probably retire in 3-5 years." If this is true, and it first was thought to be true a couple of years ago, shouldn't it now be 1-3 years? ;)

It reminds me of a former co-worker who 10 years ago was telling me he would retire in 3-5 years (I kid you not). Guess what??? He's still plugging along right where he was and he's probably still staying "I'll probably retire in 3-5 years).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm sorry, but I think that Kiffin has already prooved he is not a good head coach. I would have to go with Smart choosing between the two.
So did Pete carroll in his first stint at the nfl. Kiffin will get another shot, and probably alot sooner than Smart. What is hurting Kirby is Mason and Muschchamp have really given 1st time head coaches that were defensive coordinators a bad name. Kiffin didnt do terrible and pretty much did a decent job all things considering ,except with the raiders . Kiffin's mouth is what gets him in trouble not his record. I think he needs to to succeed here for 2 to 3 years and he probably has a respectable program waiting. As for Kirby, he might of waited too long unless there is a deal that he is Saban's successor, I doubt it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm sorry, but I think that Kiffin has already prooved he is not a good head coach. I would have to go with Smart choosing between the two.
I'm for neither at this point because our current coach isn't close to retirement in my opinion.
But I'll throw this in, just to show how any coach has to "grow".
Kiffin was 34-21 at UT and USC.(Five years)
Both programs were in total disarray when he inherited them. He took a pathetic UT team to a bowl game with a 7-6 record and we beat them on a last second field goal block.
At USC he took a team straddled by probation, won ten games in year two, and was pre-season number one heading into year three.
He took those teams to two bowls games and lost both.
Coach Saban was 34-24 his five years at Michigan State. He went to three bowl games and lost them all.
I'm not comparing them, I'm just saying, or I guess asking, "How did the numbers Saban had at Michigan State qualify him to be the head coach at LSU"?
They probably didn't, but Joe Dean saw something past the numbers and hired him, and ironically, it's the best thing to ever happen, not only to LSU, but to US as well!
Kiffin has definitely had personality problems in his career, but he's always been a pretty darn good coach.
sip

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, Kiffin stays one more year and gets another HC gig somewhere on the west coast. Oregon State, Cal some lower tiered PAC 12 team or his alma mater, Fresno State.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm for neither at this point because our current coach isn't close to retirement in my opinion.
But I'll throw this in, just to show how any coach has to "grow".
Kiffin was 34-21 at UT and USC.(Five years)
Both programs were in total disarray when he inherited them. He took a pathetic UT team to a bowl game with a 7-6 record and we beat them on a last second field goal block.
At USC he took a team straddled by probation, won ten games in year two, and was pre-season number one heading into year three.
He took those teams to two bowls games and lost both.
Coach Saban was 34-24 his five years at Michigan State. He went to three bowl games and lost them all.
I'm not comparing them, I'm just saying, or I guess asking, "How did the numbers Saban had at Michigan State qualify him to be the head coach at LSU"?

They probably didn't, but Joe Dean saw something past the numbers and hired him, and ironically, it's the best thing to ever happen, not only to LSU, but to US as well!
Kiffin has definitely had personality problems in his career, but he's always been a pretty darn good coach.
sip
I really dont think LSU expected him to take them up 3 levels and make them what they are today, but more or less make them relevant in the SEC since DiNardo was letting them slip well below the mediocre norm that LSU was accustom to. but he was very qualified for the job, but I understand your point

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
but more or less make them relevant in the SEC since DiNardo was letting them slip well below the mediocre norm that LSU was accustom to.
When Dinardo was hired, LSU had just finished their sixth straight losing season. He went 32-24-1 in his five seasons and won a share of the western division in his second and third year.

Not here to defend Dinardo, just saying, he inherited a hot mess and got LSU back to their historical place (they're ranked 11th in all time FBS wins, hardly mediocre) before allowing a monumental collapse over the last two years.

IOW, Saban wasn't hired to for mediocrity, he was hired to win.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What if Miles leaves LSU for Michigan and they hire LK? We do not want THAT to happen!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I really dont think LSU expected him to take them up 3 levels and make them what they are today, but more or less make them relevant in the SEC since DiNardo was letting them slip well below the mediocre norm that LSU was accustom to. but he was very qualified for the job, but I understand your point
Exactly. Their A.D. took a gamble on the potential he saw, and it worked out.
There's no guarantees when you hire a coach.
We'll see what happens in ten or so years. At least I hope it's that long before Coach S. retires.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.