Kiffin Or Smart As Possible Head Coach

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Now if Nick Saban decided he was ready too step down In a few years would you rather have Kiffin or Smart and why? Tough choice or not.
1. Ones been a head coach
2.Who can recruit
3.Ones defensive Coordinator
4.We know the other is offensive and too other teams
5.3 head coaching jobs
6.Both are young

Just add too this and your opinion.
Here is a few things in my mind we tried Dubose no head coaching experience,Kiffin done pretty well at Tenn for the short time he was there,Probation at USC hurt his chances there.The recruiting went well during that Time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Now if Nick Saban decided he was ready too step down In a few years would you rather have Kiffin or Smart and why? Tough choice or not.
2.Who can recruit
5.3 head coaching jobs
6.Both are young

Here is a few things in my mind we tried Dubose no head coaching experience,Kiffin done pretty well at Tenn for the short time he was there,Probation at USC hurt his chances there.The recruiting went well during that Time.
I think Muschamp and mason really put the Kirby going to get a big college head coaching job right off the bat arguement to rest. Kiffin is a maybe, but he would get a bigger look than Kirby IMO.
The one names that jumps out to me is Gundy and Briles because it has become apparent Gundy doesnt like where he is at right now, and him being at a smaller power and doing what he has done really is going to make people wonder what he could do at a big program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Neither? When Saban steps down, Alabama will still be on top and you will need an experienced head coach to keep you there, IMO. Kiffin doesn't count - his experience proved that he is not a quality head coach.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Depending on what type gig Kirby wants, he may have waited too late to strike. His iron was at its hottest after the 2012 LSU beat down in the Superdome. Since then our defensive prowess has taken a hit with the more HUNH team's we've faced. I think he can still get a HC gig but I'm not sure his options would be as open as they were after the championship season of 2011.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This type of threads needs to go away... SMH... LOL. I have no idea what will happen in few years.. but for now, just enjoy what we have. we'll deal with this when the time comes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This one will be fun! :biggrin2:

Regardless, when CNS decides to go to the lake we'll not replace him with someone who is better. He's the best...even when considering NFL guys.

But I think two guys would get a call: Shaw at Stanford or Harbaugh at the 49ers.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This one will be fun! :biggrin2:

Regardless, when CNS decides to go to the lake we'll not replace him with someone who is better. He's the best...even when considering NFL guys.

But I think two guys would get a call: Shaw at Stanford or Harbaugh at the 49ers.
I see CNS retiring after his contract is up. By that time Shaw will probably be in the NFL so that might be too late. Everyone in the country is high on Harbaugh, and I might be the only one not. I just find it funny that he had the same team that Shaw did his first year and couldnt make it to the BCS games but Shaw did it his first two years while beating Oregon twice in a row. I still thnk Briles and Gundy are going to get serious looks when the Florida,LSU, and Alabama jobs open up along with some up and comers like Stoops (UK), Franklin, and maybe UAB's coach.
IDK nor does anyone right now

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I said this in another thread, with the current offensive fireworks going on in college football IMO being an offensive coordinator looks to be a quicker job to the top than being a DC. This is certainly a turn around from years past. Not sure either would get the job to replace CNS.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Why not McElwain? He's punching his ticket as a head coach at CSU. He understands Alabama being an assistant for Saban and knows what it takes to win. I'm just throwing his name out there as well. I personally think Kiffin has too much baggage, but who knows.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
2.Who can recruit
5.3 head coaching jobs
6.Both are young

Im trying to remember, hasnt Lane Kiffin had a chance at Head coach recently? did that work out well?

A couple games in as OC and were annoiting him as our future Head Coach??????

I LOVE him as our OC, I dont want him as our HC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No telling, that's for sure.

I mentioned Shaw and Harbaugh, but that's just a "right now" gut....and hopefully CNS is nowhere near done.

3-5 years from now, who knows???

I'd recommend for noone to get bent out of shape about this right now. It's like worrying about what you'd do if you win the lottery. We'll be O.K. when CNS retires.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
This type of threads needs to go away... SMH... LOL. I have no idea what will happen in few years.. but for now, just enjoy what we have. we'll deal with this when the time comes.
We Bama fans have never been very good at that. I give you any Saturday's game thread as evidence. Our guy gets tackled for a loss early in the 1st quarter on a running play: "See? The game has passed Coach Saban by...the sky is falling...<etc.>"

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think many people took me seriously when I said Kiffin could become a candidate down the road.

At this point in time, I honestly think Kiffin has the inside track. Not because of any inadequacies on the part of Smart, but simply because he's actually more of a known commodity. For instance, we know he can handle the offensive side of the ball adequately on his own, and we know he's a great recruiter. I think you can say the same type of things respectively about Smart, but not quite as emphatically.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why not McElwain? He's punching his ticket as a head coach at CSU. He understands Alabama being an assistant for Saban and knows what it takes to win. I'm just throwing his name out there as well. I personally think Kiffin has too much baggage, but who knows.
Mac signed a new contract with CSU that has some crazy buyout clauses in it. By signing it, he set himself up stay at CSU for several, several years.

Why talk about Kiffin or Smart when we have another former head coach on staff?

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I see CNS retiring after his contract is up. By that time Shaw will probably be in the NFL so that might be too late. Everyone in the country is high on Harbaugh, and I might be the only one not. I just find it funny that he had the same team that Shaw did his first year and couldnt make it to the BCS games but Shaw did it his first two years while beating Oregon twice in a row. I still thnk Briles and Gundy are going to get serious looks when the Florida,LSU, and Alabama jobs open up along with some up and comers like Stoops (UK), Franklin, and maybe UAB's coach.
IDK nor does anyone right now
Yeah, because there is no way we would hire a coach out of the NFL...

Just kidding...besides, CNS, KIRBY, AND LANE ARE NEVER LEAVING!!! EVER!!!

OK, I'm better now...have a nice day, and ROLL TIDE, ROLL!!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, because there is no way we would hire a coach out of the NFL...

Just kidding...besides, CNS, KIRBY, AND LANE ARE NEVER LEAVING!!! EVER!!!

OK, I'm better now...have a nice day, and ROLL TIDE, ROLL!!!
Not completely ruling out shaw, but it would have to be perfect timing to get him. Lane has a shot but it would have to be by an endorsement by CNS

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.