Media (mis)perception on our D vs. Sooners' D

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
I just watched College Football Live on espn and I usually just let it go but today I just can't. I know it means nothing in the long run , but maybe not given we have a "selection" committee. They talked about how impressive the sooners were against West Virginia and how we struggled with them. I watched every play of both those games and through my crimson-colored glasses didn't see it that way. Once I heard their remarks I had to go back and check the stats - different story I think.

Team Stat Comparison

WVUALA
1st Downs2230
3rd down efficiency5-149-16
4th down efficiency0-10-1
Total Yards393538
Passing365250
Comp-Att29-4524-33
Yards per pass8.17.6
Rushing28288
Rushing Attempts2449
Yards per rush1.25.9
Penalties6-557-49
Turnovers01
Fumbles lost00
Interceptions thrown01
Possession22:1337:47

Team Stat Comparison

OKLAWVU
1st Downs2426
3rd down efficiency8-167-15
4th down efficiency0-00-1
Total Yards510513
Passing209376
Comp-Att17-3025-41
Yards per pass7.09.2
Rushing301137
Rushing Attempts4640
Yards per rush6.53.4
Penalties8-825-55
Turnovers13
Fumbles lost01
Interceptions thrown12
Possession33:4426:16

Other than interceptions, I'm not sure what they're looking at. I know they beat us last year, but from a strictly D point of view, I think we've improved against the "fastball teams and given this snapshot the data says the same thing . Again I understand last year but the misperception that they dominated WVU and we struggled just isn't true.

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
Normally I could care less what the talking heads say, but with the new playoff format and humans doing the selection, perception could and probably will at some point, come into play. If they hear all year at every front that Team A is better than Team B in beating common opponents (really comes into play when everyone has one loss or 2 unbeatens and the rest have 1 or 2 losses), then their perception could be swayed. The media , I'm afraid, could have a lot more "influence" on who plays than we care to admit.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
to be honest we played WVU with a qb that needed confidence with being the starter and a playbook that wasnt fully open yet with a defense that wasnt gelled yet either . If we had played them this week it wouldve been 50 to name the score for them no matter if it was in Morgantown on a Thursday night or in Nome Alaska for the Igloo Bowl Classic.

Oklahoma is getting a pass because they beat us in Nawlins and people always put the going on the road and playing Bethune Cookman or anyone for that matter in such high regard. Truth betold MooState has more credit for playing in a ferocious enviroment and beating an overated LSU team than oklahoma does by outlasting a one player team in front of a bunch of couch burners in my books. Oklahoma is extremely overrated and Knight is Ok at best, but Im actually hoping they go undefeated, FSU drops , and Oregon is number 1 making us and OU 2 and 3 at season's end so that we meet them in a "meaningful" game in Nawlins.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We are the "Gold Standard" for college football. When these guys think a team does something better than Bama it will be brought up. I guess most don't question what they see or hear on TV. I don't watch anything but the games for this reason. RTR!

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
I would love to get a chance to play them in the playoffs. Again, I don't normally care what they say, but Joey Galloway had us out of his top 4 because of the way WVU passed on us and sooners at one because of the way they "handled"them on the road - that's when I had to look at the stats and was, quite frankly. surprised even after having watched both games, how much better out stats were vs theirs.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Yes, the clown Galloway...on Finebaum was saying the same thing. But he also condoned Winston and said it was just a kid thing to do. So not much credibility.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
do yourself a favor and don't watch College Football Live or any other show like it. I quit last year. I decided I had better things to do.
Yea that's what I started doing. I used to watch all the shows religiously but stopped this year. I hardly watch any of them. I pretty much get my sports information fix from Tidefans and twitter..

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
With College Football Live and most of the "national" shows, they've moved on to OU.

I watched those shows during our resurgence because it was fun to hear them talk about us on our way "back," and when we were still somewhat surprisingly dominant (2011, 2012) and it was amazing what Saban built.

The college football world is tired of us. They were last year and they are now. We don't fit the narrative.

By the way, they're tired of FSU too. Shameis has out-stayed his welcome. I saw it happening on Saturday.

The narrative is Oklahoma. They beat us, they're #1, their victory over WVU is impressive. Whatevs.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
to be honest we played WVU with a qb that needed confidence with being the starter and a playbook that wasnt fully open yet with a defense that wasnt gelled yet either . If we had played them this week it wouldve been 50 to name the score for them no matter if it was in Morgantown on a Thursday night or in Nome Alaska for the Igloo Bowl Classic.

Oklahoma is getting a pass because they beat us in Nawlins and people always put the going on the road and playing Bethune Cookman or anyone for that matter in such high regard. Truth betold MooState has more credit for playing in a ferocious enviroment and beating an overated LSU team than oklahoma does by outlasting a one player team in front of a bunch of couch burners in my books. Oklahoma is extremely overrated and Knight is Ok at best, but Im actually hoping they go undefeated, FSU drops , and Oregon is number 1 making us and OU 2 and 3 at season's end so that we meet them in a "meaningful" game in Nawlins.
It was more than just a defense that had not gelled yet. we were missing two starters in key roles, especially against a team like WVU in our MLB and top CB. Do you really think they get so many yards through the air If Jackson is in the game, or if we didn't have the communication issues, or if DePriest was in the game and being in the right place in the pass drops? Situationally, we were not playing Tim Williams in the rotation for pass rushing due to his suspension, and Reed was somewhat in the same boat with a limited number of plays. Both those limited our rotation. We've also had 3 guys emerge in Brown, Evans and Anderson who have been and will continue to be big parts of how we're going to defend pass happy teams.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
It's really too close to call. They beat us in the Sugar Bowl. We have to live with it until we beat them. Sticks and stones, guys... remember what others say or think is none of our business :) I'll put our team up against any and I think we've got a 90% chance of winning no matter who it is. That's so much better than the early 2000's and mid-90's. I'll take it :) RTR!!!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Normally I could care less what the talking heads say, but with the new playoff format and humans doing the selection, perception could and probably will at some point, come into play. If they hear all year at every front that Team A is better than Team B in beating common opponents (really comes into play when everyone has one loss or 2 unbeatens and the rest have 1 or 2 losses), then their perception could be swayed. The media , I'm afraid, could have a lot more "influence" on who plays than we care to admit.
There's always been media meddling in college football rankings but this year there will be a lot more. The talking heads will always want their narrative to shape the landscape. Bob Stoops is running his mouth the last couple of years for this very reason.

The good news for us is that we will be in the national spotlight with more big games this year than anyone. If our defense keeps getting better, and I think they will, the perception that we're vulnerable will diminish.

Lou Holtz and Mark May aren't the top media talking heads but they were wowed Saturday and said so. I expect the others will jump back on our bandwagon sooner rather than latter if we just keep doing our thing.

Of course the selection committee aren't idiots either and they will have privy to all sorts of stats leading up to their first vote.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
After watching some of the game, and looking at the box score, I didn't think there was really any contest. Alabama's D handled West Virginia better than Oklahoma did. Is there any debate? Are there actually people that actually could look at any evidence and reach another conclusion?
In my book, Oklahoma has the most impressive wins thus far. Kudos to them. If we win out (SEC Champs), we'll get our shot.
I have to ask, against who? I'm looking their schedule and trying to figure out what win you are talking about.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Galloway also didn't seemed all that impressed by blake sims. I may have misheard him though. Even Danny Kanell.... DANNY FREAKING KANNEL said he was impressed with Alabama Saturday and praised our vertical passing game. He then called out Galloway for basically being a hypocrite. Galloway said the people were overreacting about bama and miss states win. Kannel pointed out that Galloway is all high on A&M for beating what is turning out to be a crappy South Carolina team. or at least that's what I got from it.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.