Trying To Buy A New CR-V

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I was wondering if any of you are excellent negotiators. I am looking for a 2014 AWD EX CR-V. I figure they have incentive to move them off the lot since 2015 are showing up late this month/early next month. So far I have gotten them down to about $24k. Do you think I can press this further?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
You can always ask to see the dealer invoice and offer them $200 over that. If they balk, I'm sure there are other Honda dealers you can visit.

What's the sticker on that vehicle?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I was wondering if any of you are excellent negotiators. I am looking for a 2014 AWD EX CR-V. I figure they have incentive to move them off the lot since 2015 are showing up late this month/early next month. So far I have gotten them down to about $24k. Do you think I can press this further?
quarter ends next tuesday, email all the "corporate" owned honda dealers within whatever radius you are willing to drive out and buy.

Corporate as in owned by a publicly traded auto dealer chain as in Group 1, Asbury Automotive, Autonation etc. All that have to report numbers will have additional end of quarter pressures that may make them more willing to negotiate

Let the dealers know you are a buyer, have financing pre -approved but don't tell them that say something like "I have great credit" in your email. Negotiate price only and let them think they will be able to make some money on the finance. When they get you a price finally then come in with your own finance

also make sure that every dealer gives you out the door pricing, no add-ons

good luck

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Honda is offering 0.9% so it makes sense to use them or will there be a lot of obscure fees and such? I used Honda financing for my Civic but I cant remember if they added on anything of note.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Honda is offering 0.9% so it makes sense to use them or will there be a lot of obscure fees and such? I used Honda financing for my Civic but I cant remember if they added on anything of note.
That .9% is probably for like 24 month financing. Not sure if that is what the OP had in mind..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You quoted the OP, Force.
i am the OP. 0.9% for up to 36 months. Honestly I can pay it outright with cash. whatever the financing is i will pay it off early anyway.
Ah ok. I'm sure you know this also but be careful of the extra warranties they will try to sell you. Most new cars come with a 3 or 5 year bumper to bumper yet they try to sell you a warranty on top of that. At least they did to me..

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Looks like you're in the ballpark on price. Good advice from Jon on the financing. I hate it when a salesman asks how much payment you're comfortable with, then backs you into a raw finance arrangement loaded with dealer incentives.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Honda_CR-V/prices/
Funny, I just bought a new F-150 and the salesman asked me the same question. I told him, tell me what the interest is and I can calculate whether or not I'm comfortable with the payment.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I think last time I got hosed. I paid for gap insurance, an extended warranty, and then the extra mile service by the dealer. the only thing i wish i had bought was scratch and dent coverage. people up here have basically murdered the passenger side of my car. it is a black car so everything shows up.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Honda finance is good and above board I'd go with that too.

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
I think last time I got hosed. I paid for gap insurance, an extended warranty, and then the extra mile service by the dealer. the only thing i wish i had bought was scratch and dent coverage. people up here have basically murdered the passenger side of my car. it is a black car so everything shows up.
My wife insisted on a black car... Never Again.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Couldn't tell from your original post, but if you are working with one dealer, now is the tie to shop his price around to other dealers. You may find one near you with more inventory to unload and ready to make a better offer.

You mentioned the possibility of financing. If you go that route, go get pre-approved by your bank or credit union. That will give you some leverage with the F&I folks when they try to finance you through Honda Credit (or some other bank).

All in all, $24k sounds like a good price, but it never hurts to push them for a lower price. The worst they can do is say no.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Right now most dealers are running year end specials and depending on the vehicle and cost they can run up to $8k off. If the MSRP is around 26 or 27k I would think 24K is a little high. Wait them out a little or offer 22K for it and see what they do. Agree with financing suggestions that have already been listed, it will help in the bargaining.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
1) Get pre-approved through your financial institution. It does no harm to let the dealer know since it conveys that you are indeed a buyer and gives you leverage in deal. From experience, plenty of people who state "I have good credit" in fact do not, so the dealer always expects the worse. AFTER you have negotiated price, then you can ask the dealer to see if they can get you a better rate (You don't have to disclose your actual approved rate if you catch my drift...approved at 3.5% then tell dealer you got it at 2%) and then go with the better rate.

2) Use the internet to find the EXACT new vehicle you want with options to determine invoice price. Normally the automotive manufacturer sites have a copy of the window sticker you can download once you find the vehicle. Basically just build out the vehicle you want and then find the exact match(or closest match) at a nearby dealer. Go to truecar.com and spec out the exact same vehicle(same options, etc. and match up MSRP) to obtain the invoice price (I confirmed the truecar.com invoice price on my 2012 Rubicon by using the jeep forums as well). Also use the internet/manufacturer site to determine if there would be any incentives to apply. If applicable, deduct those from the invoice price. Determine what you want to pay (invoice plus + $200 for example) plus taxes, title and fee.

3) Now that you are an EDUCATED BUYER(not a tire kicker or shopper), go to the dealer that has the vehicle you want on the lot and PURCHASE THE VEHICLE.

A dealer will not let a buyer leave the lot if they can do the deal. We have purchased 2 new vehicles in the last 3 years in this manner and it really is that simple.

All this waiting until the end of a month (or quarter), getting lowest prices and then shopping other dealers (who do not have the vehicle you want on the lot), and playing whatever games is basically a waste of your time and the dealers.

Just my .02 and good luck.

Last edited:

OK_BamaFan

1st Team
Oct 22, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I used Edmunds.com to do research when I bought my CRV in July. They have a service where where they will request quotes from multiple dealers in your area via email. I found the best price that way and didn't have to deal with all the negotiating garbage at the dealership. Walked in, handed them the guaranteed offer that outlined everything I wanted - and only what I wanted - and was out of there in a couple of hours. Just be prepared for a bunch of emails/phone calls after if you go that route.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is that $24,000 with a trade-in. I just recently bought a Honda CR-V with a spoiler and the technology package and it was more than that with an older CR-V trade in. I say go for it! I was looking at Lexus RX350, Infinity QX60, and Acura MDX. I would rather have an Infinity QX60, but that Honda CR-V AWD with the 4 cylinder is fine with me and $20,000+ less than the Infinity QX60.

Did I get ripped off or is your's a good deal? I think based on the CR-V package you are getting, if it comes with the technology package, it's a good deal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.