This Is What Sets Me Off About The Whole "Strength of Schedule" Argument.....

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Re: This Is What Sets Me Off About The Whole "Strength of Schedule" Argument.....

Some, not all, pundits want desperately for Alabama not to make the final 4 going so far as to ignore how Oregon was a bad interference no-call away from losing against a bottom dweller in the PAC12. That's fine because Mariota played well, despite getting sacked 7 times. Of course they laud Okie's defense yet WVU torched them as bad as they did us. FSU has the best athletes now according to most of the pundits despite our having the #1 recruiting classes for the last 4 or 5 years.

Based on the eye test Alabama and Okie MIGHT be close but Oregon and FSU look like pretenders.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: This Is What Sets Me Off About The Whole "Strength of Schedule" Argument.....

What really sticks in my craw is the West Virginia game? The pundits said Alabama struggled when we beat them by ten and outgained them by a ton of yards. Yet the Sooners demolished the Mountaineers beating them by twelve, holding West VA to almost twice as many yards. I guess it is all in the perception.
Two things with this. one, West Virginia was a bad big 12 team when we played them and shredded our defense. They were a pretty good team when OU played them and OU handled them . Statistics do not bare that out .

Second, West Virginia pretty much controlled the game until a huge kickoff return to tie the game right before halftime gave OU the momentum going into the locker room. I made the comment during the Bama WVU game that it was like a scrimmage. Bama controlled the game, I never felt like WVU could win.

I have seen Jason Sehorn and others praise Texas aggies defense the week after they gave up 500 yards to RICE!

Tennessee was a tough test for OU , when the third Saturday rolls around, a rivalry game, Bama will play a bad team. Watch and see.

Seems to me that some are trying to plant the seed that Bama isn't as good as people think. Wonder who's ears that is meant for?

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I don't know... It's been 20 years, and Amish Paradise is still one of my all-time favorite songs.
20 years? No way that came out like 5-6 years ago. 20 years? Are you sure?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

West Virginia is a perfect example. Alabama plays them away from home, with a new QB and new OC, with a key defensive player missing... and despite the outcome never really being in doubt, and Alabama outgaining them by a wide margin, Alabama was never really given any credit for winning that game.

On the other hand, to some at least Oklahoma's victory over West Virginia is a feather in their hat, this, despite the outcome very much being in doubt and West Virginia gaining just as much as Oklahoma's offense. Sagarin had Florida as #21 coming into the game, but we're in a new era now, and it's back to politics...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I suspect there are some teams who wish they had these kind of problems! ;)

As far as Florida is concerned.....more than anything, we need to get the QB position fixed. For some reason Driskel just doesn't have the killer instinct like Sims. I hope we get Treon Harris in there next game.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

This thread kind of intermingles a few separate issues to me. Combining them makes for muddy thoughts, imho.

1.SOS. SOS is a real & legitimate thing. The statistical comparison of common opponents and their common opponents is useful and telling to a certain point. It doesn't speak to match ups or intangibles but it will give you an idea on where teams stand against one another when they haven't actually played.

2.Media interpretations of SOS. This is most assuredly not a real thing. This is the subjective opinion of what a person thinks the SOS really is. The opinion of a person who is paid not to be accurate but to stir conversation and website hits. To lend any validity whatseover to these people's opinions is to validate and encourage their existence. Once you understand their objective and function is then you can adjust your expectation of them. You don't expect quality, timeless music from Weird Al Yankovich, right? Don't expect accurate, quality journalism from a guy who is paid to do nothing other than generate web hits and stir your pot.

3.Florida wasn't a test. We turned it over 4 times and beat them by 21. They had 200 yards of offense. Less than 100 passing and barely broke 100 rushing. If we take care of the ball then it's likely a 40+ point win. Our 1st test will likely be Ole Miss.

An example of points 1 & 2 would be Alabama & OU. Both schools beat a weak SEC team. Both schools have stomped a nobody or 2. Both schools beat WVU. We were statistically more dominant vs WVU than OU was. In terms of unbiased SOS and statistical comparisons, we have looked better than OU. However, Saturday night all I could hear from the ESPN guys was that OU deserved consideration to be #1 while Alabama had played sloppily and had not looked impressive. You need to understand that the media, in ALL of it's forms and genre's, is no longer driven by accuracy or even getting the 'scoop'. It's all about clicks and ad dollars and radio mentions and TV ratings. Nothing more. Don't give them validation that they do not deserve.

/rant
BINGO!!!
Remember as you listen to this, espn has a vested interest in which teams make this made-for-tv playoff. We'll be hearing this kind of stuff all season as espn tries to "influence" the committee.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

BINGO!!!
Remember as you listen to this, espn has a vested interest in which teams make this made-for-tv playoff. We'll be hearing this kind of stuff all season as espn tries to "influence" the committee.
If that is the case, Alabama and/or Auburn will be in the playoff. Birmingham continues to be the #1 market for ESPN's college football games.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Ideal for TV and bowl game host site: Alabama is good enough to get in and the media gets to trash us all the way there. This is what I feel like people don't get. Alabama fans are a radical, extreme, overly sensitive, easy-to-manipulate bunch. And they travel reallllllyyyyyy well. If Alabama gets in, people will show up. Period. That's a boon for the game and city the game is hosted in. Trashing Alabama in the media is literally a money maker. Ask PF. We will dutifully play our part. We'll call your radio show, post links to your articles trashing us, and even tune in to watch you do it. That's a really big part of why so many in sports media poor mouth us, imho. Because it's easy to do and it works like a charm.

Shooting fish in a barrel should be so easy.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA

We should schedule a perennially weak team from the B1G10, the ACC, and Big XII, and one other "blueblood" from now on. We could then say that we play a 12 game schedule against power conference foes.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

I suspect there are some teams who wish they had these kind of problems! ;)

As far as Florida is concerned.....more than anything, we need to get the QB position fixed. For some reason Driskel just doesn't have the killer instinct like Sims. I hope we get Treon Harris in there next game.
. I posted this in another thread. .Serious problems atUF. .Why would a Florida football account tweet this to begin with? .And the thing with Robinson, well.......

1. Gosh, this is so good. A Florida football account tweeted out a picture of two quarterbacks asking fans to retweet it if they wanted to see starting QB Jeff Driskel get benched. Who was among those who retweeted it? Florida’s stud receiver Demarcus Robinson, of course! He later deleted the tweet and backtracked, but nah, we’re not accepting that, Demarcus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

My advice:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

As far as talking heads go, I said this before the season started. The only guys I pay attention to are Tom luiginbill and Matt Millen . They are the only ones I know that break down game film. The others just watch games. Belotti is pretty good also.

Luigs just said on championship drive , the one team when it comes to the eye test is Alabama. They are getting better and better and better each week and he mentioned TOny Brown playing big down the road. Also when co host Anthony Brecht said Michigan States'defense is better than any in the SEC, Luigs said 'I don't know about that'. Then Brecht backtracked and said 'well, the SEC defenses are down this year, and that gives the high powered offenses in the other conferences a lift when we are talking about playoff situation.'- Anyone at all understand that logic, plus guess that guy doesn't realize that Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss all have high powered offenses.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

We should schedule a perennially weak team from the B1G10, the ACC, and Big XII, and one other "blueblood" from now on. We could then say that we play a 12 game schedule against power conference foes.
It's been discussed, but shouldn't it be possible to schedule a non-conference SEC game? I'm all for starting up the Vanderbilt rivalry again. That covers that 9 conference games talk.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Selma, try and forget all that noise. Oh wait, sorry.
That was awesome man!!

True story: last night a friend called and had a letter I wrote her dated 27 June 1988. I told her that was a Monday and was the night Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks. It was one page. I summarized the contents of what was going on at the time and she quoted excerpts back. The recall of a letter I've not seen in 26 years - astonishing and prove able.

And now, back to the thread!!

But that was good man. Not even any blue font :)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This Is What Sets Me Off About The Whole "Strength of Schedule" Argument.....

Our schedule is tough but last I saw it's not ranked as high as in the recent past.

Lets be honest, Florida is not a very good football team and their coach is probably going to be fired at the end of the season. It's a good conference win, but let's see what our guys can do on the road against ranked competition. 4 games in, we still have yet to see that. I happen to think we are very good, but so far the eye test says OU is still better in that they won by 12 on the road at wvu.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.