Question: What would it take for you to do this on Facebook?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Is there an issue or something someone could do on Facebook that would cause you to not only unfriend them but anyone who has them on their friend list? I had someone basically make a "public announcement" that if "so and so" was on your friend list you were getting unfriended. The person making this statement said "so and so" was a thief and a liar and had used a fundraiser to steal money. Not sure why that meant everyone who has the accused as a friend should also be unfriended but oh well.

I've only seen this one time before and it was over a heated political issue that a former co worker and another guy I knew got into over FB. One deemed the other one a bigot (and all the other normal terms that come with that) and basically said that anyone who had him as a friend on their friend list was about to be unfriended by him. Sure enough the next day I just so happened to revisit this guy's page and I had been unfriended. LOL!

What would it take for you to do something like this? Or would you?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I can't imagine unfriending friends of somebody I had a beef with. That sounds like Jr. HS level pettiness. I got unfriended once because I didn't share one of those stupid "If you love Jesus, share this" posts. The guy sent me a FB message to let me know why I was being unfriended, then zapped me. As far as I know, he didn't unfriend other people just because they knew me, though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I can't imagine unfriending friends of somebody I had a beef with. That sounds like Jr. HS level pettiness. I got unfriended once because I didn't share one of those stupid "If you love Jesus, share this" posts. The guy sent me a FB message to let me know why I was being unfriended, then zapped me. As far as I know, he didn't unfriend other people just because they knew me, though.
I never share those things but have yet to be personally called out for it. LOL!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No, I think that's ridiculous.

I got unfriended by a girl I knew years ago because - get this - I had not been on Facebook yet on her particular birthday.....and she unfriended every single person who didn't wish her a happy birthday.

Facebook appeals to narcicism (sp?) anyway. I mean, I'm no exception. Most posts are something along the lines of "I had a zit on my rump today, popped it, it hurts now - what do you do for terminal rectal bleeding from a zit site." (That's not what I post but that's about the level of quality).

And the political ads from everyone all over spouting things like Obama wasn't born in the US or whatever - jeez!!!

My aunt de-friended someone simply because he was/is opposed to gay marriage (and I'm sure folks have done that the other direction, too). If your skin is that thin, you shouldn't be on Facebook imho.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If someone wants to unfriend me because I am friends with someone they have a dispute with, then I probably don't need them as a friend anyway.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I'm at the age where my HS friends are having grandkids. One girl I graduated with had her only child killed by a drunk driver when the girl was 16. I can't imagine living with that.

Still, she recently posted that anyone talking about or posting pics of their grandkids would be unfriended because it's just too painful. I don't know how many were ditched but I imagine quite a few.

I agree - in life, crap happens. But that may be taking it a little far.

I've put a couple of people on "Block" which doesn't zap them but gets rid of their annoying tripe. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm at the age where my HS friends are having grandkids. One girl I graduated with had her only child killed by a drunk driver when the girl was 16. I can't imagine living with that.

Still, she recently posted that anyone talking about or posting pics of their grandkids would be unfriended because it's just too painful. I don't know how many were ditched but I imagine quite a few.

I agree - in life, crap happens. But that may be taking it a little far.

I've put a couple of people on "Block" which doesn't zap them but gets rid of their annoying tripe. :)
Yeah, I've started using the "block" function a lot. I got tired of zapping folks and getting inboxes "Did you unfriend me?" and having to go through all of that. I'm getting older and am trying to pick my battles a bit better. Does away with a lot of unneeded stress.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Yeah, I've started using the "block" function a lot. I got tired of zapping folks and getting inboxes "Did you unfriend me?" and having to go through all of that. I'm getting older and am trying to pick my battles a bit better. Does away with a lot of unneeded stress.
I unfriended everyone by deleting my Facebook account about 7 years ago. I am continually amazed at the conversations people have about Facebook. For example, a girl I went to highschool with actually said this in conversation.

Person - "Do you remember so and so from high school? They were kinda popular, not really popular, but hung out with other so and so?"
Me - "Not really."
Person - "Well they said something mean to me on facebook, and I got so mad I unfriended them."
Me - "..."
Person - "Then I saw them at the reunion and can you believe they tried to talk to me as if everything was ok?"
Me - "That is totes cray cray."

This is a person in their late 30's.

Facebook has allowed grown people to act as if they are still in high school. It actively encourages this behavior through its likes system being the equivalent of gossip passed in the halls. The world would be a much better place if all of the facebook servers were nuked from space.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I suppose if someone remained friends with a known child molester I'd probably nuke them - but other than that, I can't readily think of anything that would cause me to act that silly.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I unfriended everyone by deleting my Facebook account about 7 years ago. I am continually amazed at the conversations people have about Facebook. For example, a girl I went to highschool with actually said this in conversation.

Person - "Do you remember so and so from high school? They were kinda popular, not really popular, but hung out with other so and so?"
Me - "Not really."
Person - "Well they said something mean to me on facebook, and I got so mad I unfriended them."
Me - "..."
Person - "Then I saw them at the reunion and can you believe they tried to talk to me as if everything was ok?"
Me - "That is totes cray cray."

This is a person in their late 30's.

Facebook has allowed grown people to act as if they are still in high school. It actively encourages this behavior through its likes system being the equivalent of gossip passed in the halls. The world would be a much better place if all of the facebook servers were nuked from space.
LOL! I get where you're coming from but I enjoy being able to keep up with some of my college buddies and family through facebook. But yeah, facebook is definitely a means for people to act out what's wrong with them in front of God and evahbody. It can be quite amusing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll never understand blaming FB for people's stupidity - people who are inclined to act stupidly do so with or without social media.

I guess my friends and I live pretty drama-free lives as none of the stuff people complain about happens on my feed. It's just fun keeping in touch with folks I'd have great difficulty doing so without it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
When I initially got on FB and started sending and receiving friend request a lot of them were for and from people from my past (High school, college, neighborhood friends when I was a kid etc.). Well heck, it had been 20+ years since I'd seen or spoken to them. You don't consciously factor in that with time they might not be anything like the last time you were around them. So with that I had to nuke many because how they were then they are nothing like now. We'd grown in different directions in life.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I suppose if someone remained friends with a known child molester I'd probably nuke them - but other than that, I can't readily think of anything that would cause me to act that silly.
"remaining friends" is ambiguous in this context.

Facebook is a tool for observing others online, and pedophiles are people you want to watch closely.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
When I initially got on FB and started sending and receiving friend request a lot of them were for and from people from my past (High school, college, neighborhood friends when I was a kid etc.). Well heck, it had been 20+ years since I'd seen or spoken to them. You don't consciously factor in that with time they might not be anything like the last time you were around them. So with that I had to nuke many because how they were then they are nothing like now. We'd grown in different directions in life.
I quickly came to the conclusion there was a reason I didn't keep in touch with most of those people.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I quickly came to the conclusion there was a reason I didn't keep in touch with most of those people.
Yeah, most of that is true. However, I did have some friends (not best friends mind you) that I simply didn't keep in touch with due to distance, life changes and all that comes along with that. However, when I reconnected with them on FB some of them had drastically changed. One dude (that I played HS baseball with) was an angry homosexual that seemingly spent everyday of his life being angry at the world and making sure everyone knew about it. He also loved to openly take personal shots at anyone who posted anything religious. I'd had enough. Nuked him very shortly after friending him.

Another guy had an obsession with "cuss" words and just plain filth in general. But in both of these instances these people were NOTHING like that when I went to school with them. NOTHING like that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.