Question: Do we see a CB combo of Brown and Jackson this year?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I thought Brown did a good job last week against UF, but I also thought Cyrus did good as well. He gave up the one open opportunity to Dunbar, that he then dropped. He has not been really been a liability, but Brown and Jackson are more prototypical of Saban CB's. I think we see this combo starting possibly by the Ole Miss game with their big WR's. Anyone agree with this?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think Brown and Jackson both playing is the biggest key for our defense to be successful. Those guys don't really need any help in coverage so it frees up Landon or someone else to help the front 7 in run support or pressure the QB. We have been missing tall physical corners and now we have two very good ones. Cyrus and Sylve cannot hold up against the 6'3+ physical receivers that most teams have now. I hope to see both starting against Ole Miss..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Brown and Jackson both playing is the biggest key for our defense to be successful. Those guys don't really need any help in coverage so it frees up Landon or someone else to help the front 7 in run support or pressure the QB. We have been missing tall physical corners and now we have two very good ones. Cyrus and Sylve cannot hold up against the 6'3+ physical receivers that most teams have now. I hope to see both starting against Ole Miss..
100% in agreement. Two corners like Brown and Jackson that can lock down on a receiver make a defense about two times better.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
one thing i did notice at least a couple of times is that cyrus had trouble getting off of blocks.

is there any news on marlon humphrey?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
one thing i did notice at least a couple of times is that cyrus had trouble getting off of blocks.

According to the game participation on rolltide.com, Marlon hasn't played since the WVU game.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
What teams on our schedule have taller receivers which might cause problems? A&M only? Duke Williams for sucker-punch AU?
Ole Miss has some pretty big wideouts, and you know Bo is going to give up some opportunities for interceptions. That game may be Brown's real coming out party.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
According to the game participation on rolltide.com, Marlon hasn't played since the WVU game.
Gribble has tweeted several times and said in the AL.com football chat that Marlon hasn't played yet. I don't know if he means explicitly or just he hasn't had significant playing time..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

a few times Jones was completely unprepared to defend the WR. On one drop he got bailed out but watching him the stadium worried me. TAMU will eat him alive.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
What is the situation with Anthony Averett and Jonathan Cook?

Both have been in the program for two seasons and have seen little playing time even with out struggles at DB.

Are we seeing the effects of 2012 misses on Dixon and Williams at DB?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i will say this: It is unlikely we will see Brown/Jackson on both side of the field unless a situation present itself. It's possible Tony could be moved to safety or stay with CB. Tony played well, but he made lot of mistakes too. One thing Saban said that the secondary needs to get better at playing the ball. Cyrus has done very good job to the point where he hasn't lost his job. All CBs gave up big plays. The only thing that's important is that Defense allowed three touchdowns this season and we played four games. That's impressive. We need to be looking at the bigger picture here, and that's the defense as a whole. Cyrus will be fine. The only debate here should be whether who gets more playing time Tony or Eddie. as far as Marlon, I think he's struggling with Defensive Scheme... but He still will be counted on to play in the later season. Saban did say that as the season progresses on, He think the young Cbs will contribute more. I have to find the link somewhere and post it. I think Cyrus can handle the receivers this season... He just need his confidence to be at all time level, and i think he's getting there... be patient.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.