Bama Gets 27 More Yards Against Florida Due to Stats Keeping Error (Total Yards: 672)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
@jzenor Alabama just got 27 more yards against Florida. (The total number corrected to 672 after stat keeping mistake.)

@jzenor Rushing yards added to Blake Sims' numbers related to play where he fumbled give him 484 yards in total offense

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Looks like Blake was credited with loss of yards on his fumble, which is inaccurate.
Well, sort of inaccurate - he should get credited with a loss of yards to the point where he fumbled but not to the point where the ball was recovered, which is what appears to have happened.

However, it looks to me like he should have gotten 30 yards back. Here's Blake's rushing plays:

3rd and 1 at ALA 29 -- Blake Sims run for 3 yds to the Alab 32 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at FLA 32 -- Blake Sims run for a loss of 3 yards to the Fla 35 Blake Sims fumbled, forced by Leon Orr, recovered by Fla Dante Fowler at the Alab 35
2nd and 7 at FLA 47 -- Blake Sims run for 6 yds to the ALABAMA 47 for a 1ST down FLORIDA Penalty, Personal Foul (Darious Cummings) to the Fla 32 for a 1ST down
1st and 10 at ALA 17 -- Blake Sims run for 9 yds to the Alab 26
2nd and 10 at ALA 47 -- Blake Sims run for 9 yds to the Fla 44
1st and 10 at FLA 40 -- Blake Sims sacked by Alex McCalister for a loss of 8 yards to the Fla 48
3rd and 1 at FLA 21 -- Blake Sims run for 2 yds to the Fla 19 for a 1ST down
2nd and 10 at ALA 20 -- Blake Sims run for 24 yds to the Alab 44 for a 1ST down

If you sum 3, -3, 6, 9, 9, -8, 2, and 24 you get 42.

Since Blake is currently credited for 12 yards rushing on 8 attempts, it seems like he should get 30 back, not 27.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Somebody needs to email this information to the University of Florida. They'll need to further update their record books under the category of "Most Yards Given Up In a Game EVER". Who's got that email address?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Looks like Blake was credited with loss of yards on his fumble, which is inaccurate.
I was wondering about that during the game actually. I looked up and saw the rushing stats didn't seem right, Alabama has virtually none at one point, Blake had a big minus, and this is why...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
When you are able to put yards on a school after the worst beating you handed them in their football programs history..You know "The Process" is clicking on all cylinders & is a sign from the Football Gods that this will become another magical kinda year for us Bama Fans..Good times to be a Bama Fan & not so much for the rest of college football..

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
This is really going to tick off Coach Saban - he was determined to keep 'Bama's total offense under 650 yards against Little Willie by snailing the last seven minutes into the middle of the line.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the explanation

Here's what happened:

On his second-quarter fumble, Sims was inaccurately docked 33 rushing yards -- the distance between the line of scrimmage (Florida's 32-yard line) and where Florida ultimately finished with it (Alabama's 35). Sims, though, should only have been docked 6 -- the distance between the line of scrimmage and where it was recovered (Florida's 38).

Sims gained 53 yards on the ground and ultimately lost 14 on the day to finish with 39 rushing yards. He went from 457 yards of offense, which tied Scott Hunter (1969) for most in a single game, to all alone at the top with some significant breathing room. Hunter still has the single-game record for passing yards (484) but he lost 27 yards rushing in that same game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was wondering about that during the game actually. I looked up and saw the rushing stats didn't seem right, Alabama has virtually none at one point, Blake had a big minus, and this is why...
Me, too. I was following the game on my droid and saw the stat and checked the drive information. I saw the problem but assumed it was a glitch in the ESPN app. I did not realize that it was never corrected.

I wonder - do all services use a single stat system? They all seem to have produced the same error.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Me, too. I was following the game on my droid and saw the stat and checked the drive information. I saw the problem but assumed it was a glitch in the ESPN app. I did not realize that it was never corrected.

I wonder - do all services use a single stat system? They all seem to have produced the same error.
I believe all services use the information provided by the statistician that is in the press box.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.