Yahoo: Alabama QB Blake Sims wore bracelet as tribute to Auburn student with cancer (Dr. Sat

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From Yahoo Sports:
September 23rd, 2014 09:54 AM

If you were watching Alabama’s dominant win over Florida Saturday afternoon, you may have noticed that Crimson Tide quarterback Blake Sims was wearing a purple bracelet on his right wrist. The bracelet, which read “Kayla,” was a tribute to a 19-year-old college student named Kayla Perry. According to ESPN.com , Perry is fighting neuroblastoma, a type of pediatric cancer. While wearing the bracelet, Sims threw for a career-high 445 yards and four touchdowns with Perry watching and cheering him on. The best part? Perry is a freshman at Auburn – Alabama’s bitter rival. “Hey guys, you know I’m an Auburn Tiger, but even college rivalries can come together when it matters. Many thanks to University of Alabama QB Blake Sims for seeing my story, and asking to wear my bracelet this week, and today, especially,” Perry posted on Facebook, along with a picture of Sims . Perry told ESPN.com that she grew up in a house that was divided by the rivalry, but on Saturday she was able to put the rivalry aside and cheer on Sims, a fifth-year senior. “People always say the players aren’t the ones that are so into the rivalry, it’s the fans,” Perry told ESPN.com. “And I think that’s really true. Sometimes as fans, we get caught up in what team we pull for the games themselves, but the players, they know what’s important and they know when to be rivals and when to be friends.” Perry has a website that launched on Sept. 1 that has “already raised over $50,000.” She was thrilled that Sims, just by wearing the bracelet, was able to help raise awareness. Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates also wore the bracelet in the Tigers’ Thursday night win over Kansas State. “We really want people to see this and see this as a problem and take a stand and step up and do something,” Perry said. “When people like Blake step up and they show their support for a cause, it makes other people want to get involved, too. So we’re really glad that he did that and thankful.” The two have never met, but a meeting between Sims and Perry is in the works. Additionally, Perry will meet with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on Tuesday. Kudos to Sims and everyone involved for helping us remember that there are things in life that are bigger than football.. For more Alabama news, visit TideSports.com . For more Auburn news, visit AuburnSports.com . - - - - - - - Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter! Follow @SamDCooper

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.