Link: Strong is cleaning house at Texas. Kicks 9th player off team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Based on the rules he implemented upon arriving at Texas... http://www.greghallkc.com/index.php...-rules-for-texas-football-and-theyre-winners/
1) “Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.”
GH: I haven’t been to class at Texas but I am going to bet this is about as big a change to happen to their classrooms since electricity hit campus. Where do/did the football players sit at your school?
2) “No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.”
GH: Do students really where headphones in class? ***?
3) “If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don’t want to run.”
GH: I have NEVER heard of a coach punishing a position coach for a kid missing class. I LOVE this rule!
4) “No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.”
GH: Pretty damn simple, ain’t it? Although I’m not sure I’d place earring wearing on the same level as drugs, stealing, guns and wife beating.
5) “Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they’re a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.”
GH: Where else can the head football coach just declare, “The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus…” like he’s ordering a pizza?
6) “The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.”
GH: This sounds like a shot at Mack Brown’s program. I don’t know how a head coach can kill cliques on a team roster that sports 125 players. But I’m betting Strong will get it done.
7) “There’s no time for a rebuild. ‘I don’t have time for that.’ The expectation is that Texas wins now.”
GH: I soooo wanted Charlie to write, “Ain’t nobody got time for dat!” But I guess that would have detracted from his academic message.
8) “Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.”
GH: I think I saw this same rule while watching “Friday Night Tykes” last night.
9) “The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.”
GH: I do not think it is a coincidence that Charlie did not place these two points of emphasis in alphabetical order.
10) “Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.”
GH: I would have loved to been in on that meeting. Sounds like Charlie told them, “You can be part of the solution or remain part of the problem.” Hook ‘em!
11) “I don’t want to talk about things. I’d rather do things. We just talked. Now it’s time to do.”
Charlie Strong
He's doing the right thing, but I wonder if those folks at Texas can tolderate that.... If they want him gone, then Texas no longer will be a luxury job and will forever be known as the state who ran off two good coaches in a row...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The "all hat and no cattle" crowd probably wants him gone. Now, if not sooner. The one item that might prolong his tenure is the unfortunate departure of QB Ash. Hard to gauge any coach, when something like that happens.

(Hope the kid is ok, going forward. He made the right choice, in the long run.)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
If the big hats will stay out of Strong's way he'll have Texas dominating the 12-2 in 3-4 years and perennial players in the playoffs. I can't help but hope that Strong succeeds. He's the opposite of Jimbo Fischer.

If Jameis played for Texas he'd be looking for another school now. I wish ESPN would ask Strong how he would handle JW.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is all well and good but until Texas starts recruiting elite level talent AND developing that talent they will remain irrelevant..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is all well and good but until Texas starts recruiting elite level talent AND developing that talent they will remain irrelevant..
I agree and this is where allowing Texas A&M to get away to the SEC was a major mistake on their part. In one step you just gave your major rival access to the best football conference in America, and you gave the best football conference in America inroads into your state for recruiting. What was it about pride going before a fall?

I know there is plenty of talent in Texas, but they are facing more competition for that talent than ever before.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't think Strong will have any trouble at all recruiting kids for Texas. I don't buy into A&M now being the hot spot in Texas because it's in the SEC. I could be wrong, but my impression is that most kids in Texas grow up wanting to play for the Longhorns. I don't think that has changed.

The big problem at Tejas seems to be the big shot boosters that won't keep their nose out of the huddle. Strong is not going to bow down to these guys.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..While the State Of Texas does have a large recruiting base, it needs & should recruit nationwide like we do, to find the absolute best of the best high school players..And the most important thing is being able to coach up that talent to bring out the best on the football field, which Mack Brown just didn't do at all, I too hope they give Coach Strong the time needed to build their football program from the ground up the right way..Coach Strong has proven he can do it, but, in a world of "Win Now" I honestly don't know if he'll be given that time he needs..

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Anyone else see that when Mullen left at the end of 2008 and Strong left at the end of 2009 florida kind of went to crap? I think those guys were very important in big urban's run at the swamp.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Anyone else see that when Mullen left at the end of 2008 and Strong left at the end of 2009 florida kind of went to crap? I think those guys were very important in big urban's run at the swamp.
sounds like strong is what florida needs right now instead of muschamp.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
based on the latest stories.. the player is off the team for six weeks, but remains on scholarship as he goes to class and rehab.... they have options to return to back to the team in October, if all goes well.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Those deep pockets with the big hats didn't get either by being stupid. They know the program needs to be flushed and rebuilt and they will give him time to do it. They are committed now. To change at this point would destroy Texas football for as long as most of us will be around. It would be bad, like shutting off your computer in the middle of changing your operating system, blue screen of death bad.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is doing the right things for the right reasons. He seems to be willing to accept the possible consequences should the powers that be in Austin disapprove.

Integrity. I approve..

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I agree and this is where allowing Texas A&M to get away to the SEC was a major mistake on their part. In one step you just gave your major rival access to the best football conference in America, and you gave the best football conference in America inroads into your state for recruiting. What was it about pride going before a fall?

I know there is plenty of talent in Texas, but they are facing more competition for that talent than ever before.
Their arrogance blinded them to what was about to happen. The balance of power has shifted in Texas and barring a move of their own to the SEC (it ain't happening) it will stay that way.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.