Link: How Kiffin and Sims Have Earned Your Respect

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Several positives come to mind with Sims.

He's a team player, always giving any credit to the guys playing around him.

He's stepped up his level of play substantially. I'm guessing it's been a confidence issue as much as anything, and now he knows he can get the job done.

He didn't let all the excitement of Coker coming in upset him in any public way, although I imagine it was hard to take. He remained upbeat about the team and the fans and never had any comments that needed walking back or explaining.

I see Blake as an old school type quarterback...a guy you can be proud of on or off the field. That's not so common these days.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Blake has really stepped up. AND with the teaching of Lane behind him, with the weapons we have on this team....Woohoo, is it going to be scary for defenses the rest of the season...and to think, WE"VE JUST BEGUN...:biggrin:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
To repeat myself for the fifth time, all I am saying is that if Kiffin can do this with a guy who most people think is a good athlete with moderate QBing talent, what he'll be able to do with some of the guys who are further along and have more pure talent should be exciting for all of us.

I am not attacking Sims. You don't have to be so defensive.

I at least want to pre-emptively apologize for my tone.

I get so frustrated when people try to imply someone on our team doesn't have talent. He wouldn't have been given a scholarship here, and certainly wouldn't have been backing up AJ if he didn't have a lot of talent. In games before this year, his job was basically to hand off, and he had a bad game in the spring. But the kid has tons of talent and everyone who says he doesn't refuses to look at facts. If we drew up a series of measurables between him and several other "heisman caliber" QBs, everything would be pretty close to the same. He may not be tall enough for the NFL, but that's about the only knock I can find on him based on his play thus far. Don't forget, he's a freak athlete who could be playing RB for us and could start at RB for about 100 schools.

But the flip side of this is that you were being very defensive about your comment that if CLK can put up good numbers with BS, he could do more amazing things with other QBs. We simply don't know that, and frankly, Blake has shown he has TONS of potential now that he's worked on his throwing accuracy. I will happily delete my previous comments if you can show me objective information indicating a lack of talent, but otherwise they stay. But without hesitation, I will apologize for the tone of my comments.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
All I know is that Sims and CLK have taken a position (QB) that I would be a major question mark at best and perhaps even a weakness for the team this season and made it a major strength. And major kudos go to the them for doing it. It's a combination of talent, smarts, hard work, and a great scheme. And Coker is probably one of the best insurance policies we've had in the event of an injury, but hopefully we don't have to find that out this season.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Objective evidence for his middling talent...
This has become so sticky, I hate to wade in. I don't think anyone has said that BS has "middling" talent. Far from it. It is important to note that he was recruited as an "athlete." And there's good reason that. He has played several different positions before settling back at QB because of depth issues. For one thing, he doesn't have the ideal stature for a QB. I remember when he was signed thinking that he was one of those guys who, although a "tweener," was just too good to let go to some other school. I know that some of the RBs we've signed fit that definition. In the cases where a position is a bit overstocked, you just let the cream rise to the top. Remember that Chris Black was more heavily recruited than Amari Cooper.

I think there's more to BS's improvement than just Lane, although I don't discount his influence in some of the more sophisticated skills BS has shown. In the off-season, he's worked very hard with an outside QB coach and I think that has helped immensely with his mechanics. In the end, you can't add talent, but you can certainly uncover it. I think that's what's happened with Blake. No one is happier for him (and us) than I am...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sims has impressed me by not giving up and fighting to be the starting QB and do the best he can with that opportunity.

Kiffin has impressed me by keeping his mouth shut and not saying anything stupid.

I also like the way he moves people around to create mismatches for our skilled players. ;)
Yep, Muschamp commented on how we move #9 around... ;)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wonder if Kiffin is working with Smart on preparing the defense for HUHU offense? I know Kiffin saw plenty of that at USC several times and as a offense Coordinator He can watch Texas A and M offense and say, if I were them, I would send this guy down this and where because they know our soft spots. Kirby might said what if I blitiz from outside... Kiffin : I would adjust on next play... You know what I mean? This is what Ive been wondering all year long whether Kiffin is working with Smart in the film room ? Ole Miss should be real good game to size up our defense.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Don't confuse athleticism with being a great QB. Neither one of the Manning boys were near the natural athlete their father was, but both turned into big time NFL QBs. I agree with Earle, Sims offseason development in mechanics coupled with Kiffin's teaching him the mental skills needed at QB have turned Blake into an outstanding QB so far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.