Link: How Kiffin and Sims Have Earned Your Respect

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

For the Alabama Crimson Tide faithful still waiting on quarterback Jacob Coker to supplant Blake Sims, you may want to shut it down until the offseason when the former is entrenched in a fresh competition with the likes of Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell and 5-star freshman Blake Barnett.

Sims should’ve garnered your respect prior to the tilt with the Florida Gators as he’s been nothing short of solid, savvy and effective.

But after his 445-yard, four-touchdown performance against a solid Gators defense, which included touchdown throws of 87 and 79 yards (for all the naysayers saying he wasn’t a threat in the vertical-passing game), Sims went out and took his respect from critics and pundits alike.

And when you mesh his talents with the outstanding coaching of offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin — who also drew the ire of fans and critics upon his hiring — it reads like a who’s who of “reclamation projects.”

But make no mistake about it; this is one talented pair.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think Blake's performance has been a testament to both the work he put in over the offseason to improve and Lane Kiffin's ability to coach up QBs. Both have put in a lot of work to get us to where we are today.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think Blake's performance has been a testament to both the work he put in over the offseason to improve and Lane Kiffin's ability to coach up QBs. Both have put in a lot of work to get us to where we are today.
I think you hit on something when you said Kiffin's ability to develop QB's. I think that is his strong point and also play calling. Very impressive.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Saban see things that we don't always see. he knew Sims had the potential to be a special player... just wondered if he ever will realize that... until the Florida game... he won many people's heart. I'm very impressed. Kiffin... Dude is amazing! Because of him, I'm starting to pay attention to the match up and I try and guess the play is going and I'm 90 percent wrong of the time. Big Kudo to Kiffin!

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
At what point do you have to start to give someone credit for having talent based on their performances? According to the same website, Blake did set the record for most yards in Alabama history. I feel pretty comfortable saying he's a seriously talented kid...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He's very talented to extend plays when it was " dead" at times... His accuracy is amazing and you know what? His performance in few weeks against Texas A and M.. dude could throw over 500 yards.... it could be a shoot out with Kenny hill... ya'll think about that...

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
What Kiffin has done with Sims is amazing. He has created a system (and calls plays) where Blake can succeed by being himself. The one word that comes to mind when watching Sims: comfort. I wondered how Matt Barkley could break all those records at USC, and only be a third-string QB in the NFL. Or how about Matt Leinhart winning the Heisman? Now it's not a mystery anymore.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
CLK give Blake all the credit for his improvement. Said he worked very hard in the offseason. Came back as a much improved player this fall.
Make no mistake though, CLK has done a great job with BS thus far both in preparation and gameday management.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I have a hard time understanding how any member of the esteemed jury could still have questions in Blake Sims' talent trial. The kid is on the verge of resetting the entire QB record book at the University of Alabama in 1 year. Maybe its just me...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Sims has done some great things. He's worked hard, and he deserves all the credit in the world. But he's not the most talented QB in the country, probably isn't even in the Top 10. Everyone knows that. It's not a knock against him; if anything it's even more reason to praise him. If Kiffin sticks around, he will, without doubt, coach more talented kids. To me, that's exciting.
Before last Saturday I didn't think he was the most talented QB on the team. Against Florida he was the most talented QB in the country.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The thing about Blake is he makes it look easy. I feel like our passing game has never looked that fluid and natural. Most of the times before now it kinds felt forced. That's the evidence of a very good player when they make it look like pitch and catch in the backyard..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sims has done some great things. He's worked hard, and he deserves all the credit in the world. But he's not the most talented QB in the country, probably isn't even in the Top 10. Everyone knows that. It's not a knock against him; if anything it's even more reason to praise him. If Kiffin sticks around, he will, without doubt, coach more talented kids. To me, that's exciting.
There are a lot of system quarterbacks in college football that when their talent has to stand alone they aren't very talented. But the talents they do have mesh very well in the system they are operating within. Nick Marshall comes to mind. In my mind the dude (as a qb) isn't very talented. But within Gus' system he puts up big numbers.

Sims operating within Kiffin's system is perfect for his talents. He allows him to throw quick hitting, high % passes and takes advantages of any mismatches that are on the field.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I believe he was chasing Scott Hunter on Saturday. A fine quarterback, and apparently by your definition, the most talented Alabama has ever seen. I'm just amazed Amari Cooper was able to surpass that most talented of Alabama wide receivers, DJ Hall.
The bold words above are yours entirely. My definition? Try the rest of the world's definition.

tal·ent

noun \ˈta-lənt\ : a special ability that allows someone to do something well

I leave you with a parting gift. You can print it out and color it when you get done.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Sims has impressed me by not giving up and fighting to be the starting QB and do the best he can with that opportunity.

Kiffin has impressed me by keeping his mouth shut and not saying anything stupid.

I also like the way he moves people around to create mismatches for our skilled players. ;)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Based on what objective evidence? He's shown he has more of a cannon than anyone realized, he's fleet of foot, he's making great decisions, he nails the short/medium passes. Except for height, I'm not seeing anything that supports your claim he doesn't have a lot of talent...

Unless talent = looks like Ben Rothlisberger

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Three things come to mind positive about Kiffin.

He's been remarkably good at what he was hired to do, jump start the offense and develop the quarterback play.

He seems to have won the team's respect and approval...as I don't have any direct contact with Kiffin I'm happy to bow to the team's judgment.

When he was hired, he was especially candid and humble about the wreckage he's left in his wake and seems to be turning over a new leaf. That was very helpful in welcoming him on board. I'm happy for him and happy Saban gave him another chance. I'm betting he is enjoying his time in Tuscaloosa, and will leave with a good feeling about his time here.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
All I'm saying is that we could, maybe, one day have a more talented QB. Maybe. Or maybe Sims is the most talented QB of all time and ever will be.
And you must be the most brilliantestest person in the history of mankind.

We love ourselves some hyperbole...

Yes, we may have a more talented QB at some point, but for cryin' out loud, if you don't think he's remarkably talented, you need to have your head examined.

And I'm still waiting on your objective evidence...

Oh...and I'm sorry I assumed "Just think what Kiffin will be able to do with someone who has a lot more talent, if he sticks around that long," implied you think there's a lot of talent Blake is lacking.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.