Auburn pipeline of UGA thugs continues

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we recruit Zach Mettenberger? If so we are crossing into hypocrisy territory. I am not for recruiting these type of players period, but let's not act like we haven't done it.
We built our glass house when we allowed DJ Pettway back into school, forget the football team. So I don't throw rocks on this topic any more.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Auburn was getting clobbered. The first-string quarterback was injured. The second-string quarterback was injured. Even the punter was injured. All the War Eagle coach had left was their third-stringer who had yet to play a down all year. He pulled the quarterback aside. "Look son, we can't afford to let them score again. We've got to run some time off the clock. Here's what I want you to do."

"On first down, run it to the left. On second down, run it to the right. On third down run it up the middle. The, on fourth down, punt it as far as you can punt it. "OK coach!" said the quarterback.

On first down he ran it to the left for 30 yards. On second down he ran it to the right for 40 more. On third down he ran it up the middle down to the one yard line. Then, on 4th down, the quarterback dropped back and punted the ball right out of the end zone.

When he got to the sideline, the coach was screaming! "What were you thinking?!!!?!!!"

The quarterback replied, "I was thinking I must be playing for the dumbest coach in the world."

How many penalties did they get on 1st down?!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
DJ did not do the beating, however, he was present when the account took place.
He participated as a lookout. At different levels of severity, he's as guilty of the beatings (there were two) as the driver of the getaway car is of a bank robbery. Or the guy who goes into the convenience store and locks the door, but doesn't actually shoot the clerk.

I've posted this before, and every time I do, I can hear the intakes of breath and gulps: it's midnight. Your child is walking home on the quad from a night of cramming at the library. DJ Pettway and a buddy are headed in the opposite direction, coming toward your child. How are you feeling right now?

He participated as a lookout. At different levels of severity, he's as guilty of the beatings (there were two) as the driver of the getaway car is of a bank robbery. Or the guy who goes into the convenience store and locks the door, but doesn't actually shoot the clerk.

I've posted this before, and every time I do, I can hear the intakes of breath and gulps: it's midnight. Your child is walking home on the quad from a night of cramming at the library. DJ Pettway and a buddy are headed in the opposite direction, coming toward your child. How are you feeling right now?
I understand what you are saying. However, I never said he wasn't wrong. He was dead wrong.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Auburn was getting clobbered. The first-string quarterback was injured. The second-string quarterback was injured. Even the punter was injured. All the War Eagle coach had left was their third-stringer who had yet to play a down all year. He pulled the quarterback aside. "Look son, we can't afford to let them score again. We've got to run some time off the clock. Here's what I want you to do."

"On first down, run it to the left. On second down, run it to the right. On third down run it up the middle. The, on fourth down, punt it as far as you can punt it. "OK coach!" said the quarterback.

On first down he ran it to the left for 30 yards. On second down he ran it to the right for 40 more. On third down he ran it up the middle down to the one yard line. Then, on 4th down, the quarterback dropped back and punted the ball right out of the end zone.

When he got to the sideline, the coach was screaming! "What were you thinking?!!!?!!!"

The quarterback replied, "I was thinking I must be playing for the dumbest coach in the world."
How many penalties did they get on 1st down?!
I see your point. :blush: :biggrin:

If I could retroactively correct the joke, I would swap the word "play" for the word "down."

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Why all the nitpicking over details? I really enjoyed the first sentence. ;)

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
With the recent outcry against domestic abuse in the NFL I cannot believe any coach would recruit a player who's been kicked off another program for domestic abuse/assault. It is such a hot button issue right now.
There are actually auburn fans right now who are hoping for Jameis to screw up bad enough to finally get kicked out of Florida State in hopes that that would lead to a transfer to the barn next season, where he would do a "one and done". Their fans have gotten to the point where they are actually excited when they hear of players having problems at other schools because they know that their is a high probability of them ending up at auburn.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
There are actually auburn fans right now who are hoping for Jameis to screw up bad enough to finally get kicked out of Florida State in hopes that that would lead to a transfer to the barn next season, where he would do a "one and done". Their fans have gotten to the point where they are actually excited when they hear of players having problems at other schools because they know that their is a high probability of them ending up at auburn.
Given the results from the players that have ended up at AU after trouble elsewhere, how could an AU fan not be excited? (Throwing out all moral and ethical questions of course) They have reached a historic peak in their program with those kind of players.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Fortunately for all of us, but most especially the female population of Tallahassee, young Mr. Winston redshirted in 2012.

So he's eligible for the NFL at the end of this season, even though he's currently a sophomore in football eligibility.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Fortunately for all of us, but most especially the female population of Tallahassee, young Mr. Winston redshirted in 2012.

So he's eligible for the NFL at the end of this season, even though he's currently a sophomore in football eligibility.
Though odds are he'll probably leave after this season. His dad has gone on record as saying he will play out his entire eligibility. After what's transpired this season I'm not sure if he needs to stay another year to repair his image to the NFL or just go ahead and go on.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Though odds are he'll probably leave after this season. His dad has gone on record as saying he will play out his entire eligibility. After what's transpired this season I'm not sure if he needs to stay another year to repair his image to the NFL or just go ahead and go on.
Which is true to form going back to his days at Hueytown, in that their patently obvious gameplan is to do whatever and to say whatever that creates the utmost attention and intrigue with Winston all right in the center of it.

There is a zero percent chance that Winston comes back to Tallahassee next season, regardless of what is or has been said publicly. And I imagine that is likely why FSU has placed more emphasis on him in the Title IX investigation, because they know by the time anything comes of it he will long since be gone. It just gives them an easy way of creating the perception that they are taking this seriously and will take on even their star player if need be, even if that illusion is readily transparent to anyone with a double-digit IQ.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We built our glass house when we allowed DJ Pettway back into school, forget the football team. So I don't throw rocks on this topic any more.
I repeat my post from 100 days ago.

In neither case can I understand why the person is a student, let alone attending school for free, as a representative of the most prominent public face of the University.

We can no longer trash anybody on this point.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There are a couple of points Im not clear on...after reading up, I think Taylor has two felony charges against him pending, with his lawyer hopeful they will be reduced to misdemeanors. I may be wrong about that., I'm not certain.

Did we offer him a scholly? It seems we have, but again I'm not sure.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Ray Rice leaves video evidence of an appalling assault on his girlfriend. She later marries him and adamantly stands with him after his suspension with the NFL. The point is rarely do charges against someone explain the background of what really was happening when the incident occurred. That does not excuse the culpability of the perpetrator but could explain how tensions escalated in the first place. Now, we can throw our moral opinions on the message board wall all we want but in the end it is the leader of our program that steers us at the helm. Nick Saban is our leader and is probably as morally sound as anyone that has every posted on Tidefans. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.