Auburn pipeline of UGA thugs continues

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I hope he has enough integrity to stick to his word. It sounds like he is fishing for offers. I'm going to give Malzahn the benefit of the doubt until then.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Unless Lester beats him to it....we know Lester has a way with criminals.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
he may get recruited by LSU. Les is waiting on vote totals to come in before offering

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Auburn was getting clobbered. The first-string quarterback was injured. The second-string quarterback was injured. Even the punter was injured. All the War Eagle coach had left was their third-stringer who had yet to play a down all year. He pulled the quarterback aside. "Look son, we can't afford to let them score again. We've got to run some time off the clock. Here's what I want you to do."

"On first down, run it to the left. On second down, run it to the right. On third down run it up the middle. The, on fourth down, punt it as far as you can punt it. "OK coach!" said the quarterback.

On first down he ran it to the left for 30 yards. On second down he ran it to the right for 40 more. On third down he ran it up the middle down to the one yard line. Then, on 4th down, the quarterback dropped back and punted the ball right out of the end zone.

When he got to the sideline, the coach was screaming! "What were you thinking?!!!?!!!"

The quarterback replied, "I was thinking I must be playing for the dumbest coach in the world."

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Petrino will take him. He has no scruples.
Lot of people have no scruples on this type of thing, not just Petrino but many others.

For better or for worse (and in some ways it's hard not to feel jaded by it), there is a thriving salvaging-of-post-criminal-conduct-driven-dismissal market out there, and it has a very real, substantial effect on how teams and seasons play out. It's not going to change any time soon, either.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we recruit Zach Mettenberger? If so we are crossing into hypocrisy territory. I am not for recruiting these type of players period, but let's not act like we haven't done it.

Mettenberger signed with Georgia in 2009 out of Oconee County High in Watkinsville, Ga., and was in a hotly contested starting quarterback race with Aaron Murray and Logan Gray (who ended up transferring to Colorado). But in March of 2010, Mettenberger was arrested outside of a local bar after allegedly grabbing the breasts and buttocks of a woman, and also was charged with underage consumption and possession of alcohol, possessing fake identification and disorderly conduct-obstruction. He ultimately pleaded guilty to two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery, the alcohol-related charges were dropped, and he was sentenced to two concurrent, 12-month probationary periods under the state of Georgia's first-offender act. He also was ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and 40 hours of community service.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we recruit Zach Mettenberger? If so we are crossing into hypocrisy territory. I am not for recruiting these type of players period, but let's not act like we haven't done it.
How does recruiting Mett make us hypocrites? We have talked about this issue on this board before. We recruit many of the same players that UGA, AU, FSU, UT and other schools in this region also recruit. For the most part, once the 4 and 5 star recruits that pick Bama come to Bama and get into "The Process" they learn to toe the line, suffer the doghouse, or hit the road. Is our record perfect? No, but I would sure put our record of player conduct up against anyone in the country.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
How does recruiting Mett make us hypocrites? We have talked about this issue on this board before. We recruit many of the same players that UGA, AU, FSU, UT and other schools in this region also recruit. For the most part, once the 4 and 5 star recruits that pick Bama come to Bama and get into "The Process" they learn to toe the line, suffer the doghouse, or hit the road. Is our record perfect? No, but I would sure put our record of player conduct up against anyone in the country.
My personal opinion is that if we have done it, its hypocritical of us to call other people to account when they do it. Also we recruited Mett AFTER his arrest and conviction for sexual battery, if I remember correctly.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
You're wrong on Mettenberger, we didn't recruit him after UGA kicked him out.

Of course, in fairness, we did sign Flournoy-Smith after being kicked out of UGA for filing a false police report and (in an earlier incident) an admission to smoking marijuana. Having said that, though, obviously that type of behavior is a a long way from some type of a sexual assault conviction.

Edit: Turns out I was indeed the one who was wrong on Mettenberger, as TF pointed out later. Looking back at the thread on the recruiting board, we offered Mettenberger late in the process after we had taken Ely and not long before he signed with LSU.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.