ADMIN NOTE: New Ebola thread reset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Before now, there have been these brush fires in remote villages. After the virus "burned out" the surrounding material and immunized the rest, it would go back into hiding, probably in bats. There just is no parallel for what's happening now...
It really was the perfect storm. No one expected it to show up in this part of Africa. It spread near a border region into 3 different nations, making discovery and even case tracing more difficult. It happened in impoverished areas with few health or other resources. It happened in a people distrustful of the government and with little education to boot. In a place with burial practices that require touching the body. Near major cities. To carry on the brush fire analogy, the big wood has flashed up and seems to have dimmed a bit, but that doesn't mean the fire is out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It really was the perfect storm. No one expected it to show up in this part of Africa. It spread near a border region into 3 different nations, making discovery and even case tracing more difficult. It happened in impoverished areas with few health or other resources. It happened in a people distrustful of the government and with little education to boot. In a place with burial practices that require touching the body. Near major cities. To carry on the brush fire analogy, the big wood has flashed up and seems to have dimmed a bit, but that doesn't mean the fire is out.
I agree that it's far from out, but I must say that I have just a bit more optimism than a week ago...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I wish I could be more optimistic, but I am hopeful. These dips in the number of cases have happened several times only to be followed in 2-3 weeks by a sharp rise in cases. So while I hope that some of the newer efforts like isolation tents are making a difference I remain cautious. And while Liberia seems to have fewer cases there are also reason to believe some of the infections have simply gone underground there. Still, other areas have not seen a dip, but a continued rise in cases.

Good reading with details from each country here:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/medical-issues/ebola

Monrovia
The number of admitted is still stable, at around 140 patients as of October 20. The center has a 250-bed capacity and the teams continue to work hard to ensure that more patients are admitted. Many people are reaching the center by their own means, which suggests that the ambulance and referral systems are not working properly. Additionally, taxis have largely stopped accepting patients for fear of contamination. Other issues such as the mandatory cremation policy and a lack of outreach activities have been identified as reasons for the decrease in patients in the facility.
ETA:

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The rate of new Ebola infections in Liberia appears to be declining and could represent a genuine trend, the World Health Organization said Wednesday, but the epidemic is far from over.The disease is still raging in parts of Sierra Leone and there is still a risk that the decline in Liberia won't be sustained, Dr. Bruce Aylward, an assistant director-general for WHO, warned reporters.
Several times during the outbreak officials have thought the disease's spread was slowing, only to surge again later. Officials have often blamed those false lulls on cases hidden because people were too afraid to seek treatment, wanted to bury their relatives themselves or simply weren't in contact with authorities.
But now there are some positive signs: There are empty beds in treatment centers in Liberia and the number of burials has declined. There may be as much as a 25 percent week-on-week reduction in cases in Liberia, Aylward said.
http://www.dailyastorian.com/who-eb...-nation-world944ca8dd2657409d8b1cacf9d056466a

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
FORT KENT, Maine (AP) - A nurse who treated Ebola patients in West Africa vowed on Wednesday to end her voluntary quarantine, even going so far as to step out of her home and shake a reporter's hand, signaling a showdown with state police monitoring her and state officials seeking to legally enforce her confinement.

Read more: http://www.wfsb.com/story/27151163/quarantined-ebola-nurse-goes-outside-police-watch#ixzz3HbeyyBV6
Well, she is certainly testing the waters and seems to be itching for a fight. She has some valid points, but so does the state. I will be interested to see how a judge rules and at what level (state vs federal).

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
This has greatly increased my optimism.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-recovery-20141029-story.html#page=1

When Amber Vinson walked out of Emory University Hospital in Atlanta on Tuesday, she became the sixth person in the country to be successfully treated for a disease that kills 70% of its victims in Africa, but has so far killed only one in the United States.Long thought to be a death sentence, Ebola has proved vulnerable to a mix of standard and invasive medical techniques, readily available in the U.S. but often beyond the reach of the impoverished nations at the heart of the outbreak.
Breathing tubes, large-bore intravenous lines, blood dialysis, electrolyte monitoring and around-the-clock attention are largely responsible for the survival of patients under advanced Western care, experts say.
Though few in number, these highly publicized patient successes have sparked a rethinking of the lethality of the disease and the power of relatively basic medical procedures to change its course.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Technically, she's in the right - if, in fact, you cannot spread the disease until you become symptomatic (beyond just a fever, from what I last heard), no need to quarantine people until they become sick. On the flip side, if they get sick and don't come in for treatment immediately, shoot 'em.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The nurse in Maine just left her house on a bike ride with her boyfriend. I guess its not good to mess with a ginger.
Does this mean that she is one selfish b_ _ _ _ and she doesn't care whether she spreads Ebola to others? Will the reporter who had she shook get Ebola. Does the reporter need to be quarantined. Does the nurse's boyfriend need to be quarantined now?

Was she in Africa for Samaritan's Purse? If so, I find it odd that she'd be so difficult to deal with. Is her goal to spread it to the U.S.A.?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
P. S. If I were a person she came in contact with and I got Ebola because of her selfishness, I think there may be a lawsuit against her.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Does this mean that she is one selfish b_ _ _ _ and she doesn't care whether she spreads Ebola to others? Will the reporter who had she shook get Ebola. Does the reporter need to be quarantined. Does the nurse's boyfriend need to be quarantined now?

Was she in Africa for Samaritan's Purse? If so, I find it odd that she'd be so difficult to deal with. Is her goal to spread it to the U.S.A.?
It probably has more to do with her being a nurse, working with ebola, understanding about how its spread and feeling that her quarantine is a bit of an overreach. I'm guessing that since she is with her boyfriend, its not keeping them from doing the nasty. That would be inconsistent with her other actions.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It probably has more to do with her being a nurse, working with ebola, understanding about how its spread and feeling that her quarantine is a bit of an overreach. I'm guessing that since she is with her boyfriend, its not keeping them from doing the nasty. That would be inconsistent with her other actions.
And her boyfriend is in school, so I don't think it's keeping him from going to class.

Can't they just do a simple blood test to see if she has it or not?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

I find it odd that everyone is freaking out over a person that isn't contagious.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
She's an ebola nurse. Soon as she has a fever she will know.
If I were a betting man, I'd say no one knows when their body temp rises from 98.6 to 98.7, which if that is the beginning of the eventual high fever, they are already contagious. I agree no one should be held against their will without having committed a crime, but this lady has been around what is known to be deadly. If it turns out she's carrying it, and anyone she's been in contact with gets it, she should be held legally, and financially liable.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If I were a betting man, I'd say no one knows when their body temp rises from 98.6 to 98.7, which if that is the beginning of the eventual high fever, they are already contagious. I agree no one should be held against their will without having committed a crime, but this lady has been around what is known to be deadly. If it turns out she's carrying it, and anyone she's been in contact with gets it, she should be held legally, and financially liable.
Your temp probably needs to rise 2deg above normal before starting any concern

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
but this lady has been around what is known to be deadly. If it turns out she's carrying it, and anyone she's been in contact with gets it, she should be held legally, and financially liable.
The flu kills more people each year in the US and people don't get this irrational about quarantines and legal liability. My issue is these people (medical professionals going to Africa) are the World's best bet at stopping Ebola and they are being treated like criminals by state governments when they come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.