ADMIN NOTE: New Ebola thread reset...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Makes you wonder how many people on the plane were exposed as well. Also, if he came into an ER and was coughing, sneezing, squirting, etc. how many other folks in the hospital were exposed along with his family and anyone else he or they have since come in contact with. I can just see a brushfire sweeping across the nation in a full scale meltdown of society if this is truly unleashed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can't believe that the first ER crew missed it. I mean, a patient comes in with a fever, nausea and diarrhea. He's from west Africa and is in the country to visit relatives, and you send him home?!?!?
We have way too much arrogance and lack of attention to detail in this country. It's been brewing for many years. I hope and pray with all my heart that I'm wrong, but I believe our chickens are coming home to roost.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Makes you wonder how many people on the plane were exposed as well. Also, if he came into an ER and was coughing, sneezing, squirting, etc. how many other folks in the hospital were exposed along with his family and anyone else he or they have since come in contact with. I can just see a brushfire sweeping across the nation in a full scale meltdown of society if this is truly unleashed.
The official story is that he was not infectious on the plane. He was checked for fever before boarding and they believe the virus to be noncommunicable until symptoms appear, which apparently started on 9/19. Stay tuned for this story to be revised, however...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The official story is that he was not infectious on the plane. He was checked for fever before boarding and they believe the virus to be noncommunicable until symptoms appear, which apparently started on 9/19. Stay tuned for this story to be revised, however...
My greatest fear as I'm sure it's others that, deep in the darkest recesses of our minds is that something like this would pass through a major international airport....

Dear God...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I can't believe that the first ER crew missed it. I mean, a patient comes in with a fever, nausea and diarrhea. He's from west Africa and is in the country to visit relatives, and you send him home?!?!?
This is where arrogance comes into play. The threat was downplayed by political and health field leaders. When the risk is seen as minimal your guard is not up. We are not used to dealing with such things.

That said, history taking is important and this was missed. Someone(s) took a poor history or they would have caught this the first time around - or, in arrogance or apathy, they ignored the information they uncovered, thinking it irrelevant somehow. Really no excuse for that.

I guess now we get at least 42 days to see if our modern system of health care can quickly and efficiently stop a disease like Ebola. It's an experiment that didn't need to be if we had placed proper and prudent public health measures like screening and quarantining travelers from regions where there is a raging deadly epidemic ahead of politics.

Even if contained to contacts since this person became sick, there is now the risk of potentially dozens of deaths from this one case. All the doctors, nurses, paramedics, people in the waiting room at the ER, registration personnel, people at the pharmacy, grocery store, and so on. Anyone he came in contact with and given that Ebola stays viable for quite a while, depending on conditions, a number of other people that never came into direct contact with this person are now at risk. Can we trace them all? Is it even possible we could identify them all? I don't think so. If we contain it to just one level of transmission it will be a miracle. Even if we do, if you or someone you love becomes infected and dies will that matter to you? As James Spann is fond of saying, it doesn't matter if today is another April 27, if it's your house that is hit then it's your April 27. But the power that be only care about the big picture - not about you. Listen carefully and that is unmistakable. To some degree that is the nature of their job, but that callousness is compounded by their sheer incompetence.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
From DBFs article
" Because Ebola is not contagious until symptoms develop, there is “zero chance” that the patient infected anyone else on the flight"

Nothing has zero chance. And the link I posted at least hints at airborne transmission, as well as stating the out-of-host life is longer than has been widely published.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
From DBFs article
" Because Ebola is not contagious until symptoms develop, there is “zero chance” that the patient infected anyone else on the flight"

Nothing has zero chance. And the link I posted at least hints at airborne transmission, as well as stating the out-of-host life is longer than has been widely published.
Chills just ran up my spine.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They're saying that he wasn't symptomatic until after he had been home for a few days.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Oh how quickly something can go from no big deal to HOLY CRAP real quick. To be honest I'm tired of these medical "experts" getting on tv or the radio and trying to act like this isn't something to be worried about and how "hard" it is for this thing to spread. If it's that hard to spread then how in the world has it become such an outbreak in Africa? We had a local Doctor/"expert" on our local talk radio station this morning basically saying that cases in America wasn't anything to get worried over.

It's like "minor" surgery. It's only "minor" if it's someone else besides you that's having it.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Oh how quickly something can go from no big deal to HOLY CRAP real quick. To be honest I'm tired of these medical "experts" getting on tv or the radio and trying to act like this isn't something to be worried about and how "hard" it is for this thing to spread. If it's that hard to spread then how in the world has it become such an outbreak in Africa? We had a local Doctor/"expert" on our local talk radio station this morning basically saying that cases in America wasn't anything to get worried over.
There is no shortage of arrogance, but reality can be very humbling. I hope they get the luxury of not being humbled too much.

The article Gr8hope linked said public health officials were treating this "just like tuberculosis". Well, I hate to break it to them but Ebola is not something that takes years or decades to show symptoms and kill you. I know that was used in particular partly to illustrate the point, but I hope to God they aren't really treating this like tuberculosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.